Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla: Please don't repeat this mistake in the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The MS has a design flaw that really needs to be corrected rather than repeated in the Model 3. The flaw is how the MS is locked down when connected to a charger. Obviously we all understand why this feature is present, but being held hostage by the charger has made Tesla owners sitting ducks for thieves. This has resulted in Tesla owners being robbed, and their cars stolen. If not corrected, it will eventually contribute to a Tesla owner losing his life.

There needs to be an override to allow the driver to make the decision to drive anyway even if still plugged in. Even if doing so results in damage to his vehicle and/or the charge cable/adapter.

Some in the crime world already understand that Tesla Owners at Superchargers are easy marks, it won't be long before every hoodlum around sees Superchargers as "fishin holes". And with many SC locations in less than optimal locations, it's a real concern.

This is a simple software fix that could easily be a part of the next update for MS's as well. But, since the M3 hardware is not yet baked, how about making the charge port support a physical disconnect on override? If I override the charge lockout, why not just push the plug out of the port so I can drive away from dangerous situations without having to incur potential damages to my car and/or your SuperCharger?

This is overly dramatic, bordering on paranoia.
Crime can happen anywhere. Wether you are pumping gas, charging an EV, crossing the street, or sitting in your kitchen.

As for what you call a "design flaw", this is a design requirement.
At least, for the J1772 charging code, it is required that a car not be able to shift out of park while plugged in.

Your odds of being a victim of a crime are so much greater in so many other situations I just don't see this as an issue worth being fearful of.
If this is a concern for you, I would suggest you refrain from ever using an ATM.

Ok design flaw is perhaps an overstatement but I've had an issue where I wanted to drive off because of an unsavory character and couldn't. My wife didn't like that one bit.

Here is where the gas analogy fails. They are usually manned. They take 3% of the time. You have choices - how many of us have stations we avoid because they are a bit questionable? (ok - used to when we had to go to gas stations) With SCs, you have no choice. Not on timing or location. If I drive at night and I am a single woman, I probably plan accordingly and gas up in daylight hours. With charging, not an option.

I have a Leaf also, I'm never relying on a charger. For obvious reasons. So that comparison fails completely.

The flippant reactions here are over the top IMO. Go look and see what percentage of Tesla owners and now reservation holders are men. Supercharging security is a real issue. I suspect that Tesla is not giving it the time that it needs.

Here is a reality - most S owners live in super low crime areas (maybe I'm wrong but I certainly do). Most supercharging locations are not super low crime areas. In NC - Rocky Mount and Lumberton are two areas where I would not live. I would also not fill a gas car at night in these areas (in say an unmanned relatively deserted gas station). And my wife would not tolerate supercharging at these 2 locations at night.

I've lived in very low crime areas all my life - I've had several cars and car stereos stolen and I've been very gently robbed in person (snatch and grab essentially). I don' t really worry about supercharging cable disconnect. But you know what - my wife does. So I do too.

I have a 3+ yo Leaf, an S, and a model 3 on order. I drink the kool aid. The responses here have been a real disappointment.

I've slept overnight at Barstow two times before the incident. No overhead lighting, no security cameras and since the SC was way back in a corner, no 'eyes on' from any direction. LaCrosse WI also comes to mind but just doesn't seem as fear worthy as Barstow was.

Nowadays TM has probably installed lighting and cams on most or all SC's. Strangely, security seems not to be an issue when we fuss over new SC location details and developments.
--

I thought I was quite clear. In fact I know I was and I know you know I was. But let me restate for you. The original post was melodramatic, fear mongering about an outlier situation made to sound like an every day occurrence with characters capable of identifying SuperCharger fishin' holes, but not capable of knowing only Teslas charge there and can be tracked with little to no effort making stealing them stupid, while supporting a ridiculous tale of people thoughtlessly pulling away in their obviously turned off gas cars while pumping gas as 'the' choice when being held up at gunpoint etc., etc., etc.,

While it's unfortunate you've had those experiences, there are choices you can make to significantly reduce them if you so choose. For instance, I do my best to avoid having to fill my car with gas in strange neighborhoods, at strange hours. If I do have to stop, I remain vigilant about my surroundings and prepared for circumstances. It's within your capabilities to do the same when Supercharging. I wouldn't blame Chevy or Texaco if I got robbed at a gas station, not sure why it's Tesla's responsibility to make sure you don't get held up at a Supercharger. I like to place the blame on the responsible party: the thieves, robbers, bandits.
Clearly we're not going to see eye to eye on this. I'm focused on the issue, you're focused on diminishing the concerns of those bothered by the issue. Unfortunate that you choose this path, because it's definitely counterproductive to community.

The correct thing to do would be to put in very noticeable surveillance cameras. Even the dumbest thief doesn't want to be caught on video.

Agreed - better surveillance would be an obvious start. I'm also thinking some kind of "panic" button in the car would be more useful than the OP's suggested cord ejector - something to summon the local police, start uploading car and SpC camera data to a police file, get attention from nearby businesses, or all of the above.

The MS has a design flaw that really needs to be corrected rather than repeated in the Model 3. The flaw is how the MS is locked down when connected to a charger. Obviously we all understand why this feature is present, but being held hostage by the charger has made Tesla owners sitting ducks for thieves. This has resulted in Tesla owners being robbed, and their cars stolen. If not corrected, it will eventually contribute to a Tesla owner losing his life.

There needs to be an override to allow the driver to make the decision to drive anyway even if still plugged in. Even if doing so results in damage to his vehicle and/or the charge cable/adapter.

Some in the crime world already understand that Tesla Owners at Superchargers are easy marks, it won't be long before every hoodlum around sees Superchargers as "fishin holes". And with many SC locations in less than optimal locations, it's a real concern.

This is a simple software fix that could easily be a part of the next update for MS's as well. But, since the M3 hardware is not yet baked, how about making the charge port support a physical disconnect on override? If I override the charge lockout, why not just push the plug out of the port so I can drive away from dangerous situations without having to incur potential damages to my car and/or your SuperCharger?

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
- Blade Runner.

The only sensible solution to this problem is to first accept it for what it is, e.g. via:
Richard Wilkinson: How economic inequality harms societies | TED Talk | TED.com

- and then take some time to think about who your next president should be. (Hint: That guy who is a good friend of Tesla driver Stephen Colbert).

Asking Tesla Motors to impose technical non-sense solutions also on sane parts of the world will not alleviate your fears.

Good luck.

Reactions: JenniferQ
... I'm focused on the issue, you're focused on diminishing the concerns of those bothered by the issue. ...

I find it fascinating how equally rational people can have such opposite thought processes.
One could very well say the exact opposite:

You are focused on inflating the concerns of others while I am focused on the issue.
While I don't believe this is an issue, the goal of Tesla is to have the cars be able to "unplug" themselves.
This should have the side benefit of alleviating concerns of people that fear not being able to leave a location because they are plugged in.

I wonder if going forward Tesla should consider partnering with convenience stores or diners that offer 24 hour access. Maybe even gas stations. This way the superchargers will be located where there are people and services that can be available to help if needed.

Many of the older ones, obviously cannot be changed, but going forward, this may provide some of the security that people are concerned about and give the 24 hour chain a ready client base. Heck it may be the Franchise opportunity that people have been bantering about on the forums for a while.

This is a reasonable concern and not fear mongering. One significant difference compared to gas stations is time and location. Gas stations have more people coming and going. More witnesses. There's also the gas station office which is right there and there are usually many cameras.

With the Superchargers, these are often out of the way, in the back, on the side. These locations are less frequently traveled and may not have the level of cameras as a conventional gas station. Tesla owners may often visit late at night or early in the morning too.

Perhaps Tesla could mount 360 degree cameras on top of the SC units?

Making modest changes seems prudent. No need to be so dismissive or seemingly over protective of such critiques.

Last edited:
I think Tesla should leverage two things going for it: car is always connected and has large, high voltage battery by releasing SuperChargeMe app where by clicking on the red button (after clicking though warning, of course) 400V is applied to the driver's seat.

On a serious note, 100s of damaged SC vs one in a billion chance of getting away from robbers - the choice is clear.

• Funny
Reactions: Jaff