Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla: Please don't repeat this mistake in the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I agree this issue is currently a low probability of occurrence, I believe it is Tesla's responsibility as the operator of SpC's to make them reasonably safe during their advertised hours of operation (24/7). This is no different than any company's parking lot, drive thru, and often cited fuel pumps. Having been to several SpC's that have low to very poor lighting, I believe proper lighting and surveillance should be prioritized over cable ejection.

Even if all three of the above are implemented, criminals will evolve and due diligence by all is still required. As pointed out earlier, Tesla's have built in GPS, so a criminal isn't going very far.

Be safe, be responsible.

The responses here have been a real disappointment.
Agreed, a lot of labeling and generally unhelpful posts not targeted to the OP's core concerns. I'd have expected more from this community, but c'est la vie.

There have, however, been a few useful posts: Increasing security around SC sites, and making security a higher site selection criteria are good ideas. Superchargers located out back behind liquor stores in the seedy parts of town don't seem like a good idea and yet such locations are still getting built to this day. The increased time-on-site for charging combined with no-option to drive off without exiting the vehicle makes this a legitimate concern regardless of pundit opinion.

Less on topic here: I have a friend, in Iowa, who opts to drive an extra 90 miles to go to the Tesla Service Center in Kansas City even though the Service Center in St. Louis is closer - but the security situation at the St. Louis Service Center leaves much to be desired. If I were in his situation, I would probably just go to the STL Service Center. The point is security is a personal decision. Just because you may not share the concerns of some others in this thread isn't a reason to belittle them or their perspective. In the pre-internet days we used to have a saying, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Today it feels like so many believe their keyboard-opinions matter, and post such thoughts without realizing that they are making most of us glad they are virtual rather than real neighbors.

Last edited:
"The victim reported that the suspects approached him while he was charging his vehicle and that one of the suspects pointed a handgun at him and forced him out of his car. The victim reported that the suspects robbed him of his personal jewelry, credit cards and other property."

Please explain how brake-away charging cable or concealed carry would help in this situation. He starts driving he may get shot. He starts shooting he may lose his life. Instead, he lost jewelry and some thug sat in his car.

I agree however that surveillance should be standard at the SC. Not only to catch robbery in progress but also to document ICEing and congestion.

I just read every bit of this thread. I have to be honest and say that I am a little disappointed with several of the posts here. Yes, the original post was a little melodramatic. To date, there have been VERY few actual incidents. At the same time, the OP brought to our attention a potential safety flaw. For those of you who simply refuse to address the issue, or worse, completely dismiss it as absolutely “non-existent”, please, do not apply for a job at my hospital. With that attitude, you will place patient’s lives at risk.

First, one point of clarification: ICE cars absolutely CAN drive away at anytime. Simply start the car and drive off. Every gas pump in California has a mandatory break-away feature. Now, doing so may have it’s own inherent issues, but if I am in a dangerous situation, I will do it, regardless if I scratch the car, damage the pump, or anything else. The first rule when faced with a dangerous situation is to get away.

Second point of clarification: Tesla’s CANNOT drive away when charging. The car will not drive with the charger plugged in. All movement is disabled. The driver must physically get out of the car, walk to the charging cable and disengage it him or herself. That does create a different environment for Tesla drivers. Yes, we could “go to the local bar” (uh, drinking and driving? NOT a good idea), or visit the local establishments. But, just sitting there in an expensive car can make one a target. And yes, if someone points a gun at your head, it will not matter much whether you can drive away or not. Give them what they want.

The issue then becomes one of necessity. Is there a true threat out there? Personally, I believe that the potential exists. There have been several real world examples of actual events, and I remember some people stating that there are some SC’s that they simply won’t visit for fear of issues (those posts are buried here somewhere. Don’t ask me to quote them, as I don’t really want to waste my time trying to convince someone who need such proof). Those issues may not arise to the desperate need to immediately recall and retrofit all cars with an eject feature, but certainly warrants the generation of a discussion.

Of course, proper security to start off with makes the most sense: placing SC’s at locations that are not attractive to would-be thieves, and proper lighting. Security cameras are nice, but we have all seen plenty of videos of gas stations and convenience stores getting robbed. Cameras only scare of smart thieves. Most thieves are dumb, hence why they are thieves.

My concern with an eject feature is that some idiots (there are Tesla idiots out there) would decide to use it for convenience, and not need. The same goes with driving away. We could be left with many damaged stalls, and more limited options for charging. Perhaps there are others here with better ideas.

My concern with an eject feature is that some idiots (there are Tesla idiots out there) would decide to use it for convenience, and not need. The same goes with driving away. We could be left with many damaged stalls, and more limited options for charging. Perhaps there are others here with better ideas.

Exactly. The eject feature is a complicated addition that would require a hardware retrofit, adds risk to the charger stations, and *wouldn't have helped* in the incident cited above. Once the perpetrator pulled the gun and pointed it at the driver, ejection options aren't really a safe solution either. (Possibly if the person saw it coming and was able to execute the ejection and drive off before the perp got to him, it might work. Even then, where are you going to go if you've aborted your charge session early and don't have the charge to reach the next station?)

What's more, it'll likely be overtaken by technology in a couple years anyway. You saw the "snake" demonstration video? Tesla is undoubtedly working on an automated charge cord connector (whether the snake makes it to final production or not) that will presumably be paired with "self-valet" supercharging by Summon at busier sites, especially ones where spending more than half an hour makes sense (Malls, etc.) The car will drop you off, and go to a SpC stall and plug in, then unplug and go to a waiting area when done.

More surveillance makes sense, and possibly a panic button on the center screen to alert people something is going on. If we're confident enough people won't hit it by mistake, it could summon the police, lock the mobile services on and pass the car's location to the police (or possibly even disable the car so it can't be driven away though that might escalate the situation, especially if there's a code to disable it that the perps might be trying to get out of the owner.)

If AP2 shows up with 360 degree cameras as many expect, it could record the event live and stream that to the cops, too - and even without that, if Tesla has video cameras monitoring the site the center console panic button could trigger a feed from them to the police, recorded for evidence as well as presented for help.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
I think the best explanation is that any override may violate existing standards (J1772, CHAdeMO, or CCS). In general, the danger of electrocution by unsafe disconnection of the charge port is more of a concern than the rare scenario of needing to pull away while still connected (esp given in the latter case, you are usually not in danger in terms of life, but rather property loss).

I'm pretty sure most (if not all) plug-ins have a charging park interlock that can't be overridden. Anyone try doing the same in a Leaf or a Volt?

I'm pretty sure most (if not all) plug-ins have a charging park interlock that can't be overridden. Anyone try doing the same in a Leaf or a Volt?

The Volt definitely has a charge/shift interlock that prevents it from shifting out of Park. (With a couple minutes to disassemble the center console and a screwdriver to pry on the solenoid, I'm pretty sure I can override it, though of course that'd be dangerous to actually do.)

Exactly. The eject feature is a complicated addition that would require a hardware retrofit, adds risk to the charger stations, and *wouldn't have helped* in the incident cited above...
Correct. A retrofit of any such eject type feature, if one was ever to be implemented, does not sound reasonable. Something more practical for future cars.

More surveillance makes sense, and possibly a panic button on the center screen to alert people something is going on...
We already have internet in our cars. This seems like something could be a software update only. Implement something like OnStar. Perhaps there could be an Emergency Assistance control panel with options like "I was in an accident." "I need Police", or my personal favorite "I need a bathroom".

We already have internet in our cars. This seems like something could be a software update only. Implement something like OnStar. Perhaps there could be an Emergency Assistance control panel with options like "I was in an accident." "I need Police", or my personal favorite "I need a bathroom".

From what I understand, Tesla already does get notification of accidents and contacts owners immediately (I'm not quite clear if that's through the car or possibly through the owner's cellular phone, though.)

That said, I like the idea. This would be a logical place to put the Tow mode button for when you ned a flatbed, you could have a contact for roadside assistance there (phone interactive? it places a call to Tesla's roadside assistance number on your linked phone? or gives local towing services?) as well as the Panic button and a manual accident button and your "find me a bathroom now" link to navigation.
Walter