Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, please enable pay-per-use supercharging for original 40/60kWh cars

Should Tesla enable pay-per-use SuperCharging on original 40 and 60kWh cars?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one of those original 40kWh's. I will not upgrade at that insane same price 4 years later. Tesla still wants to charge the same price and the owner should shoulder all the depreciation cost. Tesla does allow upgrade to DC charging for $1900 without having to fork $11000 to upgrade to 60kWh. Still why should I upgrade to DC Chademo only to be gouged at the Plugshare or EVGo network. There is an inherent flaw in their marketing/production model where they hope people will upgrade later. Everytime around holiday time, there are long lines of Teslas at SC along I-5 and it reinforces my decision not to upgrade. The fairest way is to allow upgrade to pay per use SC charging for $2500 without having to upgrade to 60kWh, and unlock the 20kWh for $6000. This is comparable to 90-100kWh upgrade.

Tesla states that every 40kWh Model S was a software limited 60kWh. Since it's that way guess you could upgrade to Supercharging then.

“Only four percent of customers chose the 40 kWh battery pack, which is not enough to justify production of that version. Customers are voting with their wallet that they want a car that gives them the freedom to travel long distances when needed.”

“The customers who ordered this option will instead receive the 60 kWh pack, but range will be software limited to 40 kWh. It will still have the improved acceleration and top speed of the bigger pack, so will be a better product than originally ordered, and can be upgraded to the range of the 60 kWh upon request by the original or a future owner.”

I have one of those original 40kWh's. I will not upgrade at that insane same price 4 years later. Tesla still wants to charge the same price and the owner should shoulder all the depreciation cost. Tesla does allow upgrade to DC charging for $1900 without having to fork $11000 to upgrade to 60kWh. Still why should I upgrade to DC Chademo only to be gouged at the Plugshare or EVGo network. There is an inherent flaw in their marketing/production model where they hope people will upgrade later. Everytime around holiday time, there are long lines of Teslas at SC along I-5 and it reinforces my decision not to upgrade. The fairest way is to allow upgrade to pay per use SC charging for $2500 without having to upgrade to 60kWh, and unlock the 20kWh for $6000. This is comparable to 90-100kWh upgrade.
You may be better off trading it in. It's worth the same as a 60 with supercharging, because that's what Tesla will sell it as.

I just enabled superchargingon my 60 late last month for $2500 +tax. So my vote is no unless I can get a refund and switch to pay per use... Of course I would be ok with a new option of paying $1900 to enable supercharging and then paying per use...
I don't see Tesla doing that though, I'm pretty sure they will stick with only the pay $2500 to enable unlimited option.