Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, please fix the horrible stop sign behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a city where it's unacceptable to roll all the way through the intersection at 1mph when it's your turn to go through at a 4 way stop. Then of course it starts accellerating like a normal driver once it's completely through the intersection. This is by far the most frustrating thing about FSD on my daily routes. It makes no sense at all why they would have this policy. It's not safer at all. The car has already decided that it's going to go, so FREEKING GO ALREADY! Why the eff would they not fix this seeming simple problem?

Last edited:
I'm assuming you're exaggerating to make a point, because 1MPH is barely perceptible movement (1.5 feet per second). I personally don't experience this with my drives. When the car hits a 4-way stop, it stops. And when it's the Tesla's turn to go, it accelerates as if it was a green light.

Reactions: Yelobird
I’ve only had the beta for a few days, but I’ve had to “encourage” the car through a couple of right turns because it was creeping. Neither one was a stop sign; one was a green traffic light, the other was a right on red turn. Not sure whether the car is supposed to turn right on red, since it’s not legal everywhere.

Reactions: kabin
I’ve only had the beta for a few days, but I’ve had to “encourage” the car through a couple of right turns because it was creeping. Neither one was a stop sign; one was a green traffic light, the other was a right on red turn. Not sure whether the car is supposed to turn right on red, since it’s not legal everywhere.
In Texas, where right turn on red is legal by default, FSDb will attempt to turn on red at any intersection - even those posted "No Turn on Red".

Be alert.

• Informative
Reactions: Need
In Texas, where right turn on red is legal by default, FSDb will attempt to turn on red at any intersection - even those posted "No Turn on Red".

Be alert.
I tried the beta again this morning for a short drive, and it will turn on red as you noted. However, at both that intersection and a couple of stop signs, it spent so much time creeping forward for better visibility that I had to use the throttle to move it along (they were cars behind me).

Yep, it'll turn right on red but sometimes it takes too long even when lined up at the cross walk and with no traffic in sight. FSDb uses the creep to it's benefit much like a nearsighted, slow-reaction, rusty geriatric driver would.

I'm assuming you're exaggerating to make a point, because 1MPH is barely perceptible movement (1.5 feet per second). I personally don't experience this with my drives. When the car hits a 4-way stop, it stops. And when it's the Tesla's turn to go, it accelerates as if it was a green light.
Not that much of an exaggeration IMO. Mine will routinely crawl through the first 2/3rds-4/5th of an intersection at 4-5 mph before gently accelerating.

I receive 10.69.3.1 today and it still crawls through some stop sign intersections, even if there is no other traffic. Not all of them. Maybe those with some occlusions that require creeping for visibility, though too early to be sure.