Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla: Please fix the stinky AC - here's how with an OTA update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cut a strip of carbon filter and used double sided scotch tape to keep it in place around the circumference of the filter and up the tab (so it won't get lost).

I also had it hang out from the edge a bit to try and keep the filter off the coil, bit I doubt that is enough. But it should keep the filter off the bottom and that is where I was getting the most mold in my 2018 3 and 2021 Y.

Won't be until this time next summer if I know it is working.
PXL_20210718_164600919.jpg

I cut a strip of carbon filter and used double sided scotch tape to keep it in place around the circumference of the filter and up the tab (so it won't get lost).

I also had it hang out from the edge a bit to try and keep the filter off the coil, bit I doubt that is enough. But it should keep the filter off the bottom and that is where I was getting the most mold in my 2018 3 and 2021 Y.

Won't be until this time next summer if I know it is working.
View attachment 687209
I think I would just buy the plastic housed filters before going thru modifying the factory filters. Let us know if it works though!

Reactions: dduffey
I tried something at work today. I read that mold dies around 130-140 degrees. I usually use climate keeper with either ac or no ac depending on charge. Today I turned it off and just let the car bake. It reached interior temps of 130 degrees. When I got in this afternoon I didn’t get any mildew smell upon starting the HVAC. I’m going to check in the morning as I left the ac on auto when I parked in the garage this evening. Garage is kept at 72 degrees via ac so no high humidity. Will see what that does. I still have original filters and have not had the system cleaned yet. The answer may be to just leave climate keeper off.

This has been my experience and I keep mine garaged as well. I’ve gotten in the habit of parking it on the driveway to “get some sun” every few days with COP set to “fan only” and I have not had any more odor problems.

And yes, I’m convinced that my overuse of climate keeper reduced the number of opportunities I had to dry things out. Now I only use it if I know I’ll be out of the car less than five minutes.

Reactions: Schulz1983