Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla: Please fix the stinky AC - here's how with an OTA update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the wettest state of South Florida and have my AC cranked to lowest temp all year.. this stink certainly has something to do with your driving habits...like daily or once a week..

Oddly enough, my 8k mile used 19 that i picked up in Feb, had 2 or 3 occasions where it smelled funky within the first few weeks of ownership, but literally hasnt since.

So its been 3 or more months and no stench. I am very sensitive to AC performance and humidity driven stanks.
Again, ive owned multiple homes in south Florida inland and by the water, i know humidity and AC.
The HVAC is certainly adequate given the large amount of glass, but there must be a design flaw with the evap core, just like my 2004 powerstroke(no filter on the evap...what Dopes!) The ac treated air also feels like its somewhat wetter then it should be. Its dehumidifying for sure, but also carrying more moisture out the vents...this is a hypothesis. The blower speeds could be pulling condensed water off the evaporator and soaking something "downstream" in the treated air path.

So is mine. I have wondered (in passing, I dont spend a lot of thought on this, lol) if people who attempt to turn off their AC because "I dont want my AC on all the time" contribute to their own issues with this if it still happens for them.

My car is set at 72 during the summer and 70 in the winter, on auto, and I have not had this problem for at least a year.

Same same (as usual!)

I just changed my HVAC filters Tuesday - I installed the EVTuning charcoal filters... because I could. Haven't had an issue before or since.

As with every other car I've ever owned, I was grossed out when I pulled out the current filters. They were just gunked up with stuff. Had some small leaf particles come out with them, too. A quick vacuum and that was that.

I have a much bigger "issue" with the PTC heater. First time I turn it on in the fall, I get the same burning smell you get from every other electric heater when it hasn't been used in a while... It's just the dust and such burning off. No big deal - happens the first time in the fall, and that's that. It's no "issue" at all, but it's the most noticeable smell I've had in the car yet. (Well, aside from a trip to White Castle... but that's a story for another day.)

Hilariously, it seems everyone here is totally willing to let Tesla suck at something they can design around. They can do everything in the world, but somehow drying coils is beyond them so why bother.

They designed around it. My car dries the stupid coils, it starts a few minutes after I leave the car. That's why I'm not suffering. If you're doesn't dry itself then something is wrong. Mine is a 2019 Eu model with an firmware 2021.4.something

My observation was that all cars that I owned that had air-conditioning suffered from this except the Tesla. Due to its drying cycle, which was already mentioned earlier.

I have a 21 model Y and I’m having the ac stink issue. I’m aware of this happening in other models as stated above. In fact my Jeep had this problem after a couple of years. However, I’m having this problem after 4 months of ownership. I contacted Tesla who has setup an appointment for $129 to change filters and clean the evaporator. My question:
Obviously I know that is outrageously priced. They said they might warranty it if the technician finds an issue with the HVAC. Has anyone had Tesla look at theirs and find an issue with the system? I usually turn the HVAC off when I get home. I have with every vehicle I have owned. I also turn off the music as it is habit.
Is there any fix for this problem? I’ve heard my fan running before but I have had to get back into the car right after arriving at home before. From what I read above I guess getting back in overrides the fan running? I was curious if anyone has run a pre filter or running carbon filters if this helps? I’m debating if I want to pay Tesla to look at this or just clean it myself.

I have a 21 model Y and I’m having the ac stink issue. I’m aware of this happening in other models as stated above. In fact my Jeep had this problem after a couple of years. However, I’m having this problem after 4 months of ownership. I contacted Tesla who has setup an appointment for $129 to change filters and clean the evaporator. My question:
Obviously I know that is outrageously priced. They said they might warranty it if the technician finds an issue with the HVAC. Has anyone had Tesla look at theirs and find an issue with the system? I usually turn the HVAC off when I get home. I have with every vehicle I have owned. I also turn off the music as it is habit.
Is there any fix for this problem? I’ve heard my fan running before but I have had to get back into the car right after arriving at home before. From what I read above I guess getting back in overrides the fan running? I was curious if anyone has run a pre filter or running carbon filters if this helps? I’m debating if I want to pay Tesla to look at this or just clean it myself.
Had this after a year owing 3 in GA climate. Changed to aftermarket HEPA filters and it seemed to fix the problem or maybe it was the update that did it. I am sure they will goodwill you since you own car just for 4 month and already have this problem. Good luck and enjoy Future on the wheels.

I’m a Tesla fan boy so it’s not like I’m going to throw a tantrum. I’m just disappointed this is happening. I’m going to let them look at it and next time might try aftermarket filters. I wonder if leaving the climate in auto all the time is the answer. I was just groomed to turn everything off while growing up as it was easier on the 12V battery.
Had this after a year owing 3 in GA climate. Changed to aftermarket HEPA filters and it seemed to fix the problem or maybe it was the update that did it. I am sure they will goodwill you since you own car just for 4 month and already have this problem. Good luck and enjoy Future on the wheels.
m

I had the smell, cleaned with Kool It cleaner and replaced filters (with OEM), and the smell is back this summer. Usually I can smell it for the first 10 - 15 seconds of running the AC and then it dissipates so not a huge deal but still annoying.

I don't really understand the apologists who alternately say "never happened to me, so this isn't really a problem" or "you're using your AC wrong" which has very strong Apple "you're holding the phone wrong" vibes. Just admit it's a design flaw which I'm guessing has been improved with the software update but not completely eliminated. I'm thinking it will take future physical design updates to reduce incidences.

Here's a question that maybe someone knows the answer to: are an equivalent number of Model Y's affected with this issue? I know there are subtle differences to the Y's HVAC system.

Reactions: FloridaGary
I had the smell, cleaned with Kool It cleaner and replaced filters (with OEM), and the smell is back this summer. Usually I can smell it for the first 10 - 15 seconds of running the AC and then it dissipates so not a huge deal but still annoying.

I don't really understand the apologists who alternately say "never happened to me, so this isn't really a problem" or "you're using your AC wrong" which has very strong Apple "you're holding the phone wrong" vibes. Just admit it's a design flaw which I'm guessing has been improved with the software update but not completely eliminated. I'm thinking it will take future physical design updates to reduce incidences.

Here's a question that maybe someone knows the answer to: are an equivalent number of Model Y's affected with this issue? I know there are subtle differences to the Y's HVAC system.
I’m curious if the hepa filters stop the issue. I understand the logic behind why it happens but it seems like that should’ve been resolved in engineering. My jeep had the cabin filters behind the glovebox away from the condenser. Wonder if that is why this is happening

I’m a Tesla fan boy so it’s not like I’m going to throw a tantrum. I’m just disappointed this is happening. I’m going to let them look at it and next time might try aftermarket filters. I wonder if leaving the climate in auto all the time is the answer. I was just groomed to turn everything off while growing up as it was easier on the 12V battery.

m
Supposedly the best way is to run the system on fan only (AC off) for a while before the car shuts off (so that evaporator can dry off). I did that in my previous car anyways to reduce AC usage (when I reach local roads near destination, if it's not too hot, I tend to run fan only and with windows down). However, there was an update pushed that was supposed to do that automatically anyways.

Supposedly the best way is to run the system on fan only (AC off) for a while before the car shuts off (so that evaporator can dry off). I did that in my previous car anyways to reduce AC usage (when I reach local roads near destination, if it's not too hot, I tend to run fan only and with windows down). However, there was an update pushed that was supposed to do that automatically anyways.

Lots of active threads on this topic, so I have mentioned this before. I don't believe the wet coils are the issue. It's the paper filters that are getting soaking wet because they are touching the wet coils in Telsa's design. The paper will not dry out as easily as the coils, so the software update that runs the fans for a little while isn't going to solve the problem. Wet paper, made from organic materials, is probably the best breeding ground for mold and fungus. We need new filters that are designed to stand off from the coils and with plastic frames so they don't get soaked.

Last edited:

People who say it's never happened to them is not necessarily the same people who have had it happen (sometimes to previous cars they have owned) but claim it's not a design flaw. I think it's hard to claim it's a design flaw if this happens regularly with other cars also (someone pointed to BMW forums). The fact of the matter is the smell is from mold/mildew from the moisture on the evaporator. Depending on the climate you live in, pretty much any AC system may be susceptible to this.

Lots of active threads on this topic, so I have mentioned this before. I don't believe the wet coils are the issue. It's the paper filters that are getting soaking wet because they are touching the wet coils in Telsa's design. The paper will not dry out as easily as the coils, so the software update that runs the fans for a little while isn't going to solve. Wet paper, made from organic materials, is probably the best breeding ground for mold and fungus. We need new filters that are designed to stand off from the coils and with plastic frames so they don't get soaked.
I wasn't aware of that. If that's the root cause, wouldn't it be pretty easy to solve in the aftermarket just with a replacement filter that's a bit thinner and with a plastic shield so the filter material is not directly touching?

Not an expert (actually, a newbie), but I read that the cause of the smell could be wet leaves, etc., sitting on the other side of the cabin air filter. Putting in an air flow filter by the input (back of frunk) will cut down on a lot of debris. Make sure you pick a filter that doesn't reduce air flow.
I used True Blue 24 x 36 x 1 Budget FRP 2 Washable Filter-HD0124361 - The Home Depot which doesn't affect airflow
Worth considering?

filter.png

Reactions: dduffey
Tell you a quick story, live in FL, humidity is nearly 100% at night in Summer typically. The car was auto set to circulate/ventilate air for temp control not Camp Mode or A/C. Well, in my garage, which is a bit less humid than outside but still high, it must have been circulating air throughout the night, no A/C, just cabin protection I guess.

Open the door, and everything had a layer of dew on it, seats/dash/steering wheel/display, you name it, it was entirely moist in the car.

Got the A/C going and within about 5 minutes of getting onto the road and getting the humidity out of the car, it dried out.

But what a mess that was. So, solution was to turn off cabin protection while at home particularly and at work since I park in garages and heat is never an issue for me. Don't ever leave cabin protection on at night in Florida/humid places in Summer..only middle of day/blazing sun would these make sense.

But, yeah...that was a fun on, sitting on dew covered seats in my work clothes!!!

Otherwise, haven't had any stinky smell, and if anybody would have it, would be in FL!

Reactions: Schulz1983
I wasn't aware of that. If that's the root cause, wouldn't it be pretty easy to solve in the aftermarket just with a replacement filter that's a bit thinner and with a plastic shield so the filter material is not directly touching?

Yes, but no one is making a filter where the filter material isn't the full width of the frame and therefore not touching the coils. Some aftermarket filters have plastic frames which are a good start, but they need to make the filter material a 1/4" or so from the side of the frame that goes against the coils.

And the filter may need to have the filter material not go all the way down to the bottom of the lower filter because it's possible there's a pool of water there. That would need to be tested to confirm if that's really an issue, but the bottom line is the filter needs to stay dry.

Last edited:
Not an expert (actually, a newbie), but I read that the cause of the smell could be wet leaves, etc., sitting on the other side of the cabin air filter. Putting in an air flow filter by the input (back of frunk) will cut down on a lot of debris. Make sure you pick a filter that doesn't reduce air flow.
I used True Blue 24 x 36 x 1 Budget FRP 2 Washable Filter-HD0124361 - The Home Depot which doesn't affect airflow
Worth considering?

View attachment 684808
Great alternative which will also provide a bit more filtration rather those plastic pieces. So no issues with airflow or noise/sucking lack therof?

Thx

So many variables involved, there really isn't a one-fix for them all. In my case, I've had the offending moldy smell 4 times. Each time I've had to perform an A/C condenser foam treatment. Each time my filters were completely dry (dry to the touch - there of course could be some moisture on them). Each time my filters were not an obvious source of odor. The filters smelled like nothing, and turning on the A/C without filters installed immediately reproduced the moldy smells. Each time I treated the coil with a whole can of "kool-it" or similar, the smell would go away, or mostly go away, then would return a few days or weeks later.

I think/hope I've finally knocked out the "true" source of my problem by lysoling and then foaming the heck out of the coils, then momentarily reinstalling the filter cover and turning on the fan to blow all that lysol and foam completely thru the evaporator and up into the vents where stuff could be growing from previous exposure.

It's only been a week since I did this, so we'll see how it goes. But so far everything smells fresh, even when you first turn it on, which is when I would get most of my problem.

My car definitely turns on the fan to dry out the evaporator after its been parked for 10 minutes or so. This "Afterblow" feature (GM calls it that - I had an 07 Impala with this activated on it) of course will only help keep a non-infected system from growing mold. If you already have mold or bacteria, you have to get it all out first before the fan running will do anything. And of course nothing will ever 100% keep your evaporator from growing something organic.... maybe if they install UV lamps in the system to sanitize - of course then your plastic evap case will degrade...

So many variables involved, there really isn't a one-fix for them all. In my case, I've had the offending moldy smell 4 times. Each time I've had to perform an A/C condenser foam treatment. Each time my filters were completely dry (dry to the touch - there of course could be some moisture on them). Each time my filters were not an obvious source of odor. The filters smelled like nothing, and turning on the A/C without filters installed immediately reproduced the moldy smells. Each time I treated the coil with a whole can of "kool-it" or similar, the smell would go away, or mostly go away, then would return a few days or weeks later.

I think/hope I've finally knocked out the "true" source of my problem by lysoling and then foaming the heck out of the coils, then momentarily reinstalling the filter cover and turning on the fan to blow all that lysol and foam completely thru the evaporator and up into the vents where stuff could be growing from previous exposure.

It's only been a week since I did this, so we'll see how it goes. But so far everything smells fresh, even when you first turn it on, which is when I would get most of my problem.

My car definitely turns on the fan to dry out the evaporator after its been parked for 10 minutes or so. This "Afterblow" feature (GM calls it that - I had an 07 Impala with this activated on it) of course will only help keep a non-infected system from growing mold. If you already have mold or bacteria, you have to get it all out first before the fan running will do anything. And of course nothing will ever 100% keep your evaporator from growing something organic.... maybe if they install UV lamps in the system to sanitize - of course then your plastic evap case will degrade...
Yes, it's an entirely different case if you had the issue already before the update was pushed, given the mold/mildew is already there. You still have to kill the existing mold/mildew first (which may already be in other parts of the system).

All the update does is prevent (or do its best to prevent) the mold/mildew from growing in a clean car.

Last edited:
Reactions: GtiMart