Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla: Please fix the stinky AC - here's how with an OTA update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize that stinky ac is not a Tesla issue but an issue with all cars. However, Tesla is in a unique position that they could *easily* fix it since the car is already location-aware.

I've had this issue in every car I've owned so am already in the habit of turning off the compressor and cranking up the fan when I am within 1 mile of my destination. This dries off the evaporator coils and prevents stuff from growing. It would be great if Tesla's would do this for me automatically (and switch back to auto next time I enter the car).

And while you're at it, maybe add a "This place stinks option" where you can tag a location (near a paper mill, dairy farm, etc) where it automatically switches the air to recirculate until you are out of the zone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine does not stink after the OTA update and cleaning. My climate is on auto 72 degrees year round.

So is mine. I have wondered (in passing, I dont spend a lot of thought on this, lol) if people who attempt to turn off their AC because "I dont want my AC on all the time" contribute to their own issues with this if it still happens for them.

My car is set at 72 during the summer and 70 in the winter, on auto, and I have not had this problem for at least a year.

Reactions: dmurphy
Yeah, I also believe some people that try to manually control the AC end up with worst results. You also need to clean the system, not just change filters, especially if you have crap from before the "fix".
Also let the car do its thing when the fan blows, maybe more than one hour after taking the car. Opening and closing the door stops it...

I realize that stinky ac is not a Tesla issue but an issue with all cars.
This is absolutely a Tesla design issue and not an issue with all other cars. I've owned several cars from several brands and not a single one of them has had this issue.

Tesla do this automatically already... After you've driven the car and used the AC, the car will continue to run the AC fan for a while to dry the evaporator.
I received the update last year or maybe two years ago now? And it doesn't keep the fan running when I get out of the car. I cleaned my HVAC system, replaced the filters at the same time, and every year like clock work I get the funky smell.

Tesla pushed an OTA update that does exactly that like a year ago. As to why it still happens for some, no idea. It no longer occurs for me after the software change and filter replacement.
My fans absolutely stop running when I park my car, and I received the update when it came out. This is a design flaw that they need to fix.

Reactions: FlatSix911
This is absolutely a Tesla design issue and not an issue with all other cars. I've owned several cars from several brands and not a single one of them has had this issue.

I received the update last year or maybe two years ago now? And it doesn't keep the fan running when I get out of the car. I cleaned my HVAC system, replaced the filters at the same time, and every year like clock work I get the funky smell.

My fans absolutely stop running when I park my car, and I received the update when it came out. This is a design flaw that they need to fix.
/shrug ... my fans dont stop running, and I dont have this issue, so it does not plague all model 3s.

Well I had this Tesla design issue with all other cars that I owned that had air-conditioning, except with the Tesla. My Ford, Rover, Mitsubishi and Renault all suffered from this in different ways. Yearly maintenance helped. Good for you that you never experienced this. But it's really not Tesla specific

And clearly, since it works well for many of us, there's something different about your car or how you use it that seems to prevent this automatic drying system to work. Do you leave the AC in AUTO and leave it on when you arrive home? OR do you turn it off before arriving? Maybe try leaving everything automatic and on and simply get out of the car, that's what I do.
Obviously, if it stinks already, there is already mold growth on your evaporator and no system will fix that. You'll need a thorough cleaning, along with new filters.

It's pretty easy to find lots of examples of this exact same issue in other cars (was looking at BMW forums last time). This is definitely not a Tesla-only issue. It's the luck of the draw however who gets it.

Air conditioning smells like feet

My model 3 still gets the stinky smell
Did you do a clean of the coils and change the filters yet? As others noted, the software fix didn't come up until the past year or so, so if your system already had mold growth in it, you still need to get it clean. The software fix only prevents the growth, but it doesn't help if the system already had it.

Well I had this Tesla design issue with all other cars that I owned that had air-conditioning, except with the Tesla. My Ford, Rover, Mitsubishi and Renault all suffered from this in different ways. Yearly maintenance helped. Good for you that you never experienced this. But it's really not Tesla specific

And clearly, since it works well for many of us, there's something different about your car or how you use it that seems to prevent this automatic drying system to work. Do you leave the AC in AUTO and leave it on when you arrive home? OR do you turn it off before arriving? Maybe try leaving everything automatic and on and simply get out of the car, that's what I do.
Obviously, if it stinks already, there is already mold growth on your evaporator and no system will fix that. You'll need a thorough cleaning, along with new filters.

Welp. I had a Ford, an Oldsmobile, a Subaru, a Land Rover, and now a Tesla. Guess which one has a smell. Fiancee has had two subarus. I've been in brands from Ferrari to Dodge models from the 70s to today. Only this car has this problem.

Hilariously, it seems everyone here is totally willing to let Tesla suck at something they can design around. They can do everything in the world, but somehow drying coils is beyond them so why bother.

As for me doing something different? I run the HVAC system in auto mode literally all year at the same temperature. There's nothing for me to be doing. Sounds more like a "known problem" since Tesla has an official procedure and they were offering free cleaning, but they aren't interested in developing a solution. Probably too busy taking existing features away from new buyers to care.

Reactions: Jejunjm