Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla please get ready the driving assistant package soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving back home some minutes ago. I was getting close to a road intersection and I had the precedence.

When I get close to road intersections I always slow down because I know that in Rome many people don’t respect the stop signal (expecially motorbikes).

While crossing the road intersection suddenly I saw in front of me a motorbike that was passing through without respecting the stop signal. :scared:

So I immediately actioned the brakes and avoided the accident. Also the motorbike stopped. Of course I complained with the driver of the motorbike because of his negligence. In fact he should have stopped at the stop signal before to pass through the intersection. The driver of the motorbike apologized to me for his negligent behavior.

Bottom line of this story is that when it comes to human life it’s not important who is right and who is wrong in a situation like this. Main thing is to avoid the accident. If I had an automatic assistance I would have felt much safer to handle such a situation.

So I thought: “Tesla please get ready the driving assistant package soon”

Would be nice as an option for some, personally I am not a fan of the idea of a pre collision system, never driven a car that has it but for some reason I think that it would pick up too much interference and engage when its not needed. I suppose we would be seeing a lot more complaints about it if that were the case though.

Would be nice as an option for some, personally I am not a fan of the idea of a pre collision system, never driven a car that has it but for some reason I think that it would pick up too much interference and engage when its not needed. I suppose we would be seeing a lot more complaints about it if that were the case though.

Of course the driving assistant package would be an option. Not compulsory to get it. In my case I would choose it. If the pre collision system is well designed no issues concerning interference and engage when it's not needed IMO.

There have been some youtube videos done on the Toyota system. When I saw them last (some time ago now) it appeared that it would have to be a fairly large object to engage the system. Also the Toyota system just slows the car down a bit to mitigate the crash. There's a thread in this forum about Mobileye installed in a Model S, which is closer to what Raffy wants. However, it's an alerting system only. I don't know the false positive rate for it, but i haven't seen any complaints, so it must be low.

@Jerry

Maybe that the Mobileye would have helped but what I really wish is an automatic system stopping the car completely in case of dangerous situations like this. Believe me I myself was surprised by my quickness to action the brakes. But what would have happened if I was not so quick to action the brakes? Much better to have an automatic help in situations like this.

Maybe that the Mobileye would have helped but what I really wish is an automatic system stopping the car completely in case of dangerous situations like this. Believe me I myself was surprised by my quickness to action the brakes. But what would have happened if I was not so quick to action the brakes? Much better to have an automatic help in situations like this.

Well, I only said that it was closer to what you wanted than the Toyota system. It also has the advantage of being available now.

Of course the driving assistant package would be an option. Not compulsory to get it. In my case I would choose it. If the pre collision system is well designed no issues concerning interference and engage when it's not needed IMO.

Yes definitely appreciate the abilities of these systems and haven't heard anything bad either, just what always comes to mind when I see adds for these types of systems.

It appears that the OEM version of Mobileye can do things like Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Mitigation by Braking.
OEM - Mobileye

Such functions will be available for Mobileye in 2015. IMO within 2015 Tesla will have developed the Driving Assistant Package also because in 2015 the ACC able to completely stop the car will be compulsory on new cars in Europe.