Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla: please use Google Maps for traffic-based navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People who buy this car are usually tech savvy and enjoy having the best tech on the market. I only have a few nits that pick with the Tesla - the navigation system is a weakness - make it a strength with Waze capability. Other nit - the auto dimming screen is hit or miss. I have to move the slider from auto to night almost daily (may be my car only). The majority of sales are to heavy metro markets with good to great LTE coverage - I have no issue with occasional black Pixilation that happens to the map when you lose internet.

I could care less about losing internet - it only happens when i'm in a rural area and the route is obvious - so Im not dependent either way, pulse I have backup systems - iPhone on verizon / iPad on at&t...

I knew the car didn't have it when i bought it - but this car can be that good - and it would SMOKE the competition! And to be more blunt - if someone develops this app or one like it - I will sign a monthly contract a pay for it - it is worth it.

Personally, I would prefer CarPlay (and the other equivalents). Easier to keep a separate device up to date with the latest technology and still get big screen viewing and text entry.

Who knows what's the best 3 years from now, but this gives the flexibility to adopt.

Ok that is pretty cool!

Functionality[edit]

The aim of CarPlay is to provide direct access to iOS device functionality, control, and usage, directly as a virtual machine on top of the manufacturers' native in-car control systemswhich predominantly run on the BlackBerry QNX based OS which is the longtime major market share holder in this field. The initial timescale for release is from 2014, on some car models by selected manufacturers.
Integration is aimed for several functions that iOS devices currently incorporate, these include:[SUP][1][/SUP]

If Tesla worked on the API side of things someone could integrate a built in Waze app into the car. That would solve a lot of these problems. Then u could use the map and traffic app of your choice and if in the boonies with no service switch back to stock Tesla nav (garmin)

The only "someone" that could integrate Waze into the API would be Waze. Not sure it would be worth their time for the number of users.

That's why my short term preference is CarPlay (and amdroid equivalent to not start that battle here).

Plus, waze or other app gets slow. Buy a new phone and not a. new car.

I wanted to say my 2 cents worth comment. Whatever software component or platform Tesla plans to use, I think they should consider internationalization based on future demand for their cars in those regions. Navigon is very weak in China and Japan so picking that will make Chinese and Japanese and HK users without even basic nav. For a long time.
I think CarPlay is fine with U.S., Euro and Japan, but guess not very good for China and other developing countries where Apple has less market share. Google Maps has global availability and for us in Japan, it is super better than nothing. We can't even use smart air conditioning because we have no way to tell where my home is.

Wow people really do like their NAV. I just added a Steelie and stuck an iPad mini on my dash so I can use Waze when I need extra insight. Tesla will get there, but meanwhile its not hard or expensive to add in an alternative.
IMG_4196.jpg

The whole nav system is funky. The combo of google maps for the map and Garmin for the actual nav makes enough mistakes to not be trustworthy. I had 3 instances where the voice and directions list said take a left but the correct turn was a right on the map.
Happens in my neighborhood.
Google maps on my phone doesn't make these mistakes.
If i didn't want to have the charger locations available, I wouldn't use the car nav and would continue to use my phone. As it is, I now use both.

If 8.1 is going to use the navigation software to determine when to exit a highway, it would be pretty risky using the Navigon/Garmin maps, because those maps are typically at least a year out of date.

When there are road changes, the Google maps appear to get the changes almost immediately.

If AP is going to start using the navigation route, Tesla really needs to make major improvements to the navigation software, providing more route customization, because with the current software, we often use it only as advice - and ignore it when we disagree with the route being selected.

Is the reason that Tesla use Navigon in addition to Google, is that Navigon provide the Road Signs and lane indicators in the IC - I don't believe Google does this, also they get Navigon's database of road speed limits, which apart from being frequently incorrect is not something that Google has in a strictly complaint manner.

I think in some respects Tesla are in a bit of a hole with this one, but for sure even as standing Navigon need to up their game as the level of errors in their data reflects very badly on them imo.

I believe Tesla uses Navigon because the maps are stored on board and not subject to breaks in cellular service.

Use of navigon far preceded AP so it wasn't chosen for reason of road signs.

Tesla pioneered the "connected" car, even though it is now becoming commonplace. The convention up to 2912 was for all cars to use stored maps. Moving to Google Maps completely without cell service issues would require an on board version or at least huge predictive caching. Google not designed for that, my guess correct me if I'm wrong

It's possible to cache the Google maps.

There isn't a need to have all of the maps for the entire US located in onboard memory.

It made sense for Tesla to cobble together FrankeNAV for the Version 1.0 software release, allowing them to get something to the market quickly, even with flaws and limited functionality.

But we're now 4 years later, and few improvements have been made in the NAV software - and as the AP software starts to rely on quality navigation routing, it's time to implement a much better and integrated solution - using up-to-date maps - which are more likely to come from Google than from Navigon/Garmin.

The excuses Tesla had 4 years ago are running thin for not having a competitive navigation system...

Elon, please switch to Google Navigation!

Almost everything about Tesla’s car is awesome.

Except one thing: the navigation software is awful.

Sorry, Elon. I’m a big fan and a happy Model S owner, but there is no way to sugarcoat it. I have taken Google Maps, which I consider to be the gold standard for a responsive, accurate, intuitive and generally pleasant navigation system, and ran it side-by-side with Tesla’s system for almost a month now. Tesla lost at almost every turn (pun not intended, but unfortunately accurate.)

I keep running into a number of user experience-destroying issues:

• it is slow/sluggish — it is often inexplicably late in announcing turns
  • it appears to misjudge distances and not adjust announcement times for travel speed, something that given the additional wheel data (vs. just GPS on my iPhone) it should have no problem being really good at
  • the synthesized voice is not clean and has synthesis artifacts one would only expect in cheap GPS add-ons
  • occasional lack of synchronization between the dashboard mini-map and center console map, while technically explainable (they run from different data sources, ironically one of them being Google) is baffling
  • traffic data is often out of date or just plain wrong — on multiple occasions Google Maps would reroute around closed roads while Tesla would happily pretend they were open
  • place of interest search results are incomplete or outdated — Tesla’s system repeatedly listed restaurants or stores that have been closed a long time ago
  • despite having wheel sensors, the system would occasionally place me on the wrong road, which does have safety implications (beyond just getting lost); I have experienced the auto-pilot suddenly slowing down in anticipation of a turn on the highway I wasn’t on — the turn was on the next highway over.
I understand why Tesla may think of navigation as ‘core technology’ and how some of the data collected by the cars may provide Tesla with competitive advantages worth protecting. It cannot, however, come at the cost of destroying one of the key elements of the basic user experience of a modern car. As it stands now, most cars with a good interface to Google’s navigation system (Android Auto) are going to win in an honest a side-by-side navigation system usability comparison.

Google has demonstrated that it has the information and computation resources to do it “right” — it has become a de-facto navigation utility. Tesla is unlikely to successfully compete against it, which is why I believe it should leverage and augment it, just like it leverages and augments the electrical utility power grid.

Two final notes:
  1. Yes, I have been in touch with Tesla and had various parts of the system checked out, without much improvement. I also had an identical experience in loaner cars, so I’m fairly certain that this unfortunately is a systemic problem.
  2. The fact that Google has risen to the status of a navigation utility does of course raise many interesting questions of competitive and antitrust nature, but that’s another topic…