Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla poaches Volvo’s ‘Head of Interior Engineering’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

trils0n

2013 P85
Feb 12, 2013
Earth
Tesla poaches Volvo’s ‘Head of Interior Engineering’ to improve its interior quality

I really like Volvo's new interiors for the XC90 and S90 -- they are on the minimalist side, but very high-end feeling.

Tesla's minimalist style is something I like, and the materials are pretty nice, but it could certainly use an upgrade / refinement in construction to better compete with other similarly priced cars.

Seems like a good fit that will hopefully improve one of Tesla's weaker areas.

Reactions: DriverOne
Yes! I had joked that they should get whoever is responsible for the XC90 interior. And they did.

This is the upside of each of us living in our own virtual reality. I shall next attempt to invoke various scenarios involving Amy Adams.....

Tesla poaches Volvo’s ‘Head of Interior Engineering’ to improve its interior quality

I just got my first Tesla, a Model S 90D. I just absolutely love the car, the drivability, the response is just unparalleled. But I gotta say, we can't compare the interior design of Tesla with comparable luxury cars. When ppl say that you can company the Model S with a BMW 7 Series or a Mercedes S Class it feels like sarcasm, specially if you are talking about the interior. These cars have much more comfortable interiors and ergonomics, seats, storage space, attention to detail.

I got a 2016 Volvo XC90 for my wife and the interior is way superior than the Model S and X. Well done, comfortable, well thought out, tons of storage space, cup holders that actually hold cups :) Looking fwd for the improvements this new guy will bring to Tesla.

As someone that was there for partner's test drive of an XC90, this makes me VERY happy. Why? Because as soon as we sat in it, and I started touching things, I said out loud "Make the screen bigger and put this in a Tesla". Ergonomics are of course one thing, but I think the biggest gap is in the fit and finish and overall material quality. Even on my Premium Interior Package car, with all that leather, everything that ISN'T Alcantara feels about right for my old 50K Infiniti, NOT a 135K Car. So I'm anxious to see where he goes by the time my lease is up :)

The MS will need a major update sometime in the next two years, and the interior could definitely use a more thoughtful approach. And of course they'll be able to completely redesign the CID UI, maybe this time with engineers who know something about designing a UI to be used in a car while it is being driven, as opposed to at their desk or in a parked car.

Hopefully this Volvo exec will also recruit some like minded people.

Reactions: acarlos1000
hmm..looking at Volvo's Estate concept car it will be really interesting to see what the future holds for Tesla

volvoestateconcept-25.jpg

My wife's car is a 2016 XC90, so it has that new interior, which we both like very much. So it'll be interesting to see how Tesla's interior will evolve over the next couple of years. I think this was a good hire. On another note, the software on the XC90 is buggy as hell. So when I hear people griping about the Tesla UI, I kind of roll my eyes. Yes, they could do better, but the over the air updates and overall experience are so much better than the Volvo.

Reactions: acarlos1000