Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Police Car Runs Out of Battery During Chase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A police officer’s Tesla Model S patrol car in Fremont, Calif. ran out of battery while pursuing a suspect. 

Police said the chase was called off when the suspect started driving in a dangerous manner. The suspect’s car was later found abandoned. 

Geneva Bosques, a spokeswoman for the Fremont Police Department, told the Los Angeles Times that the Tesla’s battery had lasted almost two shifts, and wasn’t charged at the beginning of the officer’s shift. 

“This unfortunately happens from time to time even in our vehicles that run on gas, if they aren’t re-fueled at the end of a shift,” Bosques told the Los Angeles Times. “This incident was truly no different than a vehicle running out of gas and a good reminder to our officers that they should have a full tank or charge to ensure they can make it the entire 11 hours of their shift.”

She said the Tesla had performed well in a previous chase.

Last edited by a moderator:
A police officer’s Tesla Model S patrol car in Fremont, Calif. ran out of battery while pursuing a suspect. Police said the chase was called off when the suspect started driving in a dangerous manner. The suspect’s car was later found abandoned. Geneva Bosques, a spokeswoman for the Fremont Police Department, told the Los Angeles...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/09/25/tesla-police-car-runs-out-of-battery-during-chase/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
Elon, create a wireless charger for those brainless "users". lol :)

Ok. My bad, I should not use that word. I always support our police. But should they remember to "fill up" a car?
Of course they should!
Perhaps they need to assign the tesla to specific officers so that they get used to the routing of plugging it in after the shift is over. Same as they inspect the car post shift, they’ll get used to plugging it in

That way you don’t have a rotation of random officers who might use it once a month, so they’re not really getting into the habit of plugging it in.