Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla - Post Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20k more?

yeah, not really.

Some P owners are pretending the tax credit, $5000 FUSC refund, and other items don't count somehow.
Think S and X, especially performance models and you can see the prices have easily dropped $30k or more. The price on a car equivalent to my S100D is now at least $20k less than what I paid.

Yes, I'm paying the same as someone today, that's kind of the problem. I was sold on the fact that I was getting the car while a credit form the government was still in effect, giving me a 7.5k discount on the car. Now they have just dropped the price of the car 7.5k to compensate, less than a year later, I don't find that to be honest.

I do get the early adopter argument, but the price was too steep. On top of all of that, I'm without the autopilot feature that at the time was sold at 4-5k (dont remember the exact number).
If the price was too steep then why did you purchase. Buyers remorse is a bit(h. Do more driving and less whining.

Why? I'm in the 3 forum.

Seriously though- no real argument there... but there's been a lot of 3 owners making similar claims with really shoddy math behind it.

Many of us don't just limit our reading to a single forum. With a title such as "Tesla Post Tax Credit", many might not only be discussing the Model 3. @BestRadar bought an S in late 2016 so when he was referring to "many of us", he was referring to S and X buyers, even if he was posting in this thread. His statement is accurate.

Reactions: BestRadar
The gist of the OP's argument is right. There are many other examples to point to. For example, features that we supposed to be premium and only available on the more expensive versions - glass roof, vegan leather, white interior - were later made available as standard base model features.

Many buyers thought they were getting a deal, but Tesla cleverly saw it as an opportunity to take advantage of that mindset and charge extra ...and yes they harvested 100% of the tax rebates (this should be plainly obvious to everyone).

Anyway, don't look for commiseration here. You will hear endless nonsense, like how Tesla is really a computer company and computers in the 90s deprecated by like 50%/year and so we should expect the same with our cars.

Yes, from 2016/2017, the prices of the S and X have easily dropped $20k or more as @BestRadar mentioned. The performance models have dropped $50k.
I don't have a dog in that argument, but that's very different than hearing people who took delivery of a Performance 3 last year claim (falsely) that our cars are 20k less now.
The gist of the OP's argument is right. There are many other examples to point to. For example, features that we supposed to be premium and only available on the more expensive versions - glass roof, vegan leather, white interior - were later made available as standard base model features.

Many buyers thought they were getting a deal, but Tesla cleverly saw it as an opportunity to take advantage of that mindset and charge extra ...and yes they harvested 100% of the tax rebates (this should be plainly obvious to everyone).

Anyway, don't look for commiseration here. You will hear endless nonsense, like how Tesla is really a computer company and computers in the 90s deprecated by like 50%/year and so we should expect the same with our cars.
That isn't how tax credits work. Nobody "harvests" anything. You may as well say that my bank is harvesting part of the interest in my home because that interest is tax deductible.

People desperately jumped at the chance to buy a hot new product, and then some whine that it's slightly cheaper now. My exact car is 4k less now than in August 2018. Hardly the end of the world. I think some people would have rather paid more for their car if it meant that somebody else paid more as well.

Reactions: Shemp

I've not heard anybody say to expect 50% depreciation in a year- Just the opposite.

Tesla continues to have some of the least depreciation in the car industry- and there's tons of threads (in the 3 section anyway) about how insanely high used 3s are selling for- barely any less than a (now lower price) new one.

Reactions: Shemp and Nocturnal
Nobody held a gun to anyone's head to buy this car. Everyone who did it thought it was a good value at the time they made the decision. Now that they perceive that others got a better deal, tears are flowing... but this is no different than anything else. Since people payed $700 for the iPhone 8 in 2017, does that mean Apple is obligated to charge the same for it today for fear of hurting the feelings of those who payed full price? .... or have the market conditions changed warranting the price to be reduced?

This is a case of "you can make everyone happy"... Tesla made a car that is pretty amazing... faster than any non-Tesla electric car, and faster than the vast majority of ICE cars on the market today.... not to mention autopilot, the best batteries in the business, the supercharging network, the infotainment system, etc, etc, etc.... and you can get all of that starting right about at the average US car price.

Last year they quite literally could not make these things fast enough to make people happy, and the OP was lucky enough to be one of the first to have one, and has enjoyed it for a year now... and he (and others) are complaining that it's not fair... not only should they have been the first to own them, they also should have got them cheaper than anyone else in the future.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Nobody held a gun to anyone's head to buy this car. Everyone who did it thought it was a good value at the time they made the decision. Now that they perceive that others got a better deal, tears are flowing... but this is no different than anything else. Since people payed $700 for the iPhone 8 in 2017, does that mean Apple is obligated to charge the same for it today for fear of hurting the feelings of those who payed full price? .... or have the market conditions changed warranting the price to be reduced?

This is a case of "you can make everyone happy"... Tesla made a car that is pretty amazing... faster than any non-Tesla electric car, and faster than the vast majority of ICE cars on the market today.... not to mention autopilot, the best batteries in the business, the supercharging network, the infotainment system, etc, etc, etc.... and you can get all of that starting right about at the average US car price.

Last year they quite literally could not make these things fast enough to make people happy, and the OP was lucky enough to be one of the first to have one, and has enjoyed it for a year now... and he (and others) are complaining that it's not fair... not only should they have been the first to own them, they also should have got them cheaper than anyone else in the future.
I wouldn't even mind so much if people didn't lie about the price delta.

I've not heard anybody say to expect 50% depreciation in a year- Just the opposite.

I should have elaborated: I‘m referring to people who respond to those complaining about price drops by saying that Tesla is really a computer/tech company and essentially we need to think of Tesla‘s tech as improving like silicon chips in the 90s. Thus the same car is much cheaper year to year. I know this would sound far fetched to those not familiar with this forum but this ridiculous argument is made surprisingly often here.

50% in on year is a lot, but if you google new car depreciation, that's not completely ridiculous number (as long as it doesn't depreciate 50% every year). More like 50% over 5 years. Probably the OP's Tesla has depreciated less than or equal to that, if he counts the tax credit as being paid by him.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/cars-with-the-fastest-depreciation

Nissan Leaf has 70% depreciation over 5 years.

50% in on year is a lot, but if you google new car depreciation, that's not completely ridiculous number (as long as it doesn't depreciate 50% every year). More like 50% over 5 years. Probably the OP's Tesla has depreciated less than or equal to that, if he counts the tax credit as being paid by him.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/cars-with-the-fastest-depreciation

Nissan Leaf has 70% depreciation over 5 years.
It's ridiculous because it's not true. People just like to lie about what they paid for some reason.

It's ridiculous because it's not true. People just like to lie about what they paid for some reason.

The article from Nov. 2016 lists the 2012 leaf at $10,248, list price was $32,361. That is 68% depreciation in less than 5 years.

I see a 2016 Leaf for $11,695 and $9,943 for 2012.

But if you factor in a $7,500 tax credit, then the depreciation was only 58%.

Car Depreciation: How Much Have You Lost?

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 6.00.50 PM.png

I'm very happy overall with my Tesla, but I can't help but feel taken advantage of.

I took delivery of a mid-range model 3 with premium package in late 2018. At that time it was about 47k + Tax, and I took advantage of the 7.5k tax credit.

Nowadays, the standard model 3 is pretty much the same thing. The premium package seems like its standard now. The range is about the same. At 39k without a tax credit, we end up at the same final cost to the consumer.

(Not to mention this now includes auto-pilot! Thankfully I didnt pay 4-5k at the time for that, I would be furious).

So to me it seems like Tesla just had a plan to take your tax credit for themselves. It just seems dishonest. I'm actually at a disadvantage as I do not have autopilot. Does anyone disagree?

You got what you paid for.

Enjoy the car! Best on the road in that price range easily.

Reactions: vickh and Shemp