TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla power consumption emulator

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by MindBender, Aug 22, 2013.

1. MindBender

MindBender Bite my shiny metal ass

Is anybody else interested in a Tesla power consumption emulator?

There's a rather simple way to determine the power consumption of your (future) Tesla for a specific trip: Simulation. Log the trip with your current car, using a GPS receiver or a mobile telephone. Export it as an NMEA of GPS file and use a computer program to go through the data and add up the consumption for each second of driving.

We already know the cars consumption at different velocities, but we'd have to extend this table to the cars maximum velocity. We also need tables for extra consumption when accellerating, climing and making turns. And a table for regeneration when decending and decellerating, with a threshold to detect actual braking, regenerating nothing (or maximum?). With accurate tables, this should give a fairly accurate indication of how much energy this trip would have consumed with a Tesla.

Is such a program already available? Perhaps as an iPhone App? This data would show people how driving a Tesla would affect their lives, possibly convincing them range is not a problem in their daily life.

2. Gear

Gear Member

There's a good website for planning trips that takes into account temperature, HVAC, and elevation. It sounds like it should cover pretty much all of what you're asking without actually having to reference charts. And it's made by a member here and uses historical real world data. It seems pretty accurate so far as I can tell.

EVTripPlanner