Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla power shutdown and fire. How to get kids out of back seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MY has powered down before and I have to be honest, the one and only time it happened was utterly frightening. I was in the middle of downtown Toronto and it began in the middle of an intersection, turn indicators didn’t work, screen black. Fortunately a hard reboot worked to get the car operational but i drove 2 hours home with no mapping or audio. The next day it was totally fine.

We remember being told that Teslas were some of the safest cars on the road and perhaps due to airbags that’s true but after this experience it really made me wonder. I cannot fathom what fight or flight response would have kicked in should smoke have filled the cabin. I applaud the driver for their quick actions.

I’m no fire expert by a long shot but fire feeds off oxygen so I cannot understand the logic behind manually opening the front doors, letting more air into the cabin and giving more time for the fire to grow potentially engulfing the children in car seats in the back. At a minimum the rear doors should be manual so the driver could easily get the kids out of car seats. A latch under a seat is meaningless for a kid stuck inside a car seat and a 6 ft parent trying to see through smoke to grab at it.

...My MY has powered down...
Most likely your propulsion system was not powered down while it's true that other systems were down such as screen display, audio...

My first Tesla was in 2012 and since then I got the 2017 Model X and the 2018 Model 3, they all did that to me sometimes but at no time the propulsion system was powered down. The Autopilot, brakes, accelerator, and steering.. still continued to work. I thought the turn signal lights would not work as well but when it happen at night, I realized that those lights still worked even though there was no sound confirmation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve