TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla Powered BMW E31 8 Series

Discussion in 'Electric Conversions' started by jackbauer, Sep 15, 2017.

1. jackbauer

jackbauer Member

First post here. I don't have a Tesla (yet!) but a bit like the song "one Piece at a time" I seem to have quite a few parts:) My name is Damien Maguire and I'm based in Ireland and have been working on EV conversion projects these last 8 years. This is my first time using Tesla components so hope you folks enjoy.

So some of you might already know about my E31 conversion as it's been going on 3 years now! Currently running a Siemens 1pv5135 motor and DIY inverter and 6 speed manual gearbox. Has been running very well the last few months but with the Tesla components becoming available and my work on the open source control boards progressing nicely I've decided to convert the E31. Again.

I had originally thought to use the small high efficiency drive unit but decided to go all in and put in the Large rear unit for 450hp+ [​IMG]

Going to be getting some help and the use of a workshop and vehicle lift for the drive unit install as it will need some serious work done to the rear subframe and boot floor. Once the drive unit is in then I can start putting some batteries into that nice big empty engine compartment. Should make quite a fun car and test bed for the open source control board. Stay tuned[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like x 7
    • Love x 5
  2. jackbauer

jackbauer Member

Hit another good milestone today. Got the inverter back on the rear drive unit and did a few runs. Not until I was editing the video did I realise I was running the motor in reverse[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  3. spottyq

spottyq Member

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us ! (Great first post btw !)

Do you have a blog or something about your first conversion ? It would be interesting to read.

4. jackbauer

jackbauer Member

• Like x 1
  5. jackbauer

jackbauer Member

I know this is probably a super long shot but does anyone have any information on the temperature sensors used in the large rear tesla drive unit? I have measured room temperature resistance and observed the resistance drops with increasing temperature but that's it. My plan is to start running coolant through the motor / inverter and plot a few points of resistance versus temperature. Any help much appreciated[​IMG]

6. jackbauer

jackbauer Member

Quick update :

• Like x 1
  7. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Good stuff. I have seen some of your previous videos... welcome to the forum!

8. jackbauer

jackbauer Member

9. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

You mention hill hold in the video. I believe that's implemented by modulating the braking system, not with the drive unit. Are you going to put a Tesla braking system in to the BMW?

10. jackbauer

jackbauer Member

The hill hold function is in the inverter firmware. I have yet to test it but it is supposed to hold the rotor within a few degrees on rotation.

11. jackbauer

jackbauer Member

The last part of the open source logic board is done. We have working temperature sensors. Time now to wrap up the bench tests on the large drive unit and start building it into the E31 for some road testing.

Attached Files:

12. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Wow, what a project.
    The 8-series BMW was my dream car for many years.
    In recent years - before I reserved my Model 3 - I even contemplated asking Rimac about how realistic a chance I had of converting my current car (E46) to an EV as he had loads of experience in converting a BMW 3-series to BEV.

I wish you all the best for your project. And by all means, keep us posted.

13. jackbauer

jackbauer Member

Thanks:) Will be moving the car to my friends workshop next week to begin the Tesla drive unit install:)

• Like x 2
  14. jackbauer

jackbauer Member

Made some progress with the 10kw Gen 2 charger today. Looks like the E31 will be getting a Tesla charger also:)

• Like x 1