Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Powered BMW E31 8 Series

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post here. I don't have a Tesla (yet!) but a bit like the song "one Piece at a time" I seem to have quite a few parts:) My name is Damien Maguire and I'm based in Ireland and have been working on EV conversion projects these last 8 years. This is my first time using Tesla components so hope you folks enjoy.

So some of you might already know about my E31 conversion as it's been going on 3 years now! Currently running a Siemens 1pv5135 motor and DIY inverter and 6 speed manual gearbox. Has been running very well the last few months but with the Tesla components becoming available and my work on the open source control boards progressing nicely I've decided to convert the E31. Again.

I had originally thought to use the small high efficiency drive unit but decided to go all in and put in the Large rear unit for 450hp+
biggrin.gif

Going to be getting some help and the use of a workshop and vehicle lift for the drive unit install as it will need some serious work done to the rear subframe and boot floor. Once the drive unit is in then I can start putting some batteries into that nice big empty engine compartment. Should make quite a fun car and test bed for the open source control board. Stay tuned
smile.gif

Attachments

• panz_website.jpg
    panz_website.jpg
    666.7 KB · Views: 704
  • 2017-06-13 14.40.09.jpg
    2017-06-13 14.40.09.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 547
  • 2017-09-12 19.33.24.jpg
    2017-09-12 19.33.24.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 527
I know this is probably a super long shot but does anyone have any information on the temperature sensors used in the large rear tesla drive unit? I have measured room temperature resistance and observed the resistance drops with increasing temperature but that's it. My plan is to start running coolant through the motor / inverter and plot a few points of resistance versus temperature. Any help much appreciated
smile.gif

The last part of the open source logic board is done. We have working temperature sensors. Time now to wrap up the bench tests on the large drive unit and start building it into the E31 for some road testing.

Attachments

• 2017-10-01 13.36.53.jpg
    2017-10-01 13.36.53.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 466
Wow, what a project.
The 8-series BMW was my dream car for many years.
In recent years - before I reserved my Model 3 - I even contemplated asking Rimac about how realistic a chance I had of converting my current car (E46) to an EV as he had loads of experience in converting a BMW 3-series to BEV.

I wish you all the best for your project. And by all means, keep us posted.