TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla Powerwall 2 advice needed

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Scoopa, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Scoopa

Scoopa Member

Hi all, I just had the good fortune of having my 4th referral in the last few months take delivery. Woo hoo! I know this also means I'll presumably be getting an email saying I'm due a Powerwall 2.

Has anyone received one of these yet either through the referral program or purchasing one of these bad boys? If so, I'd love thoughts and opinions. I don't have solar, live in Massachusetts in a house that I probably realistically won't be getting solar anytime soon, though I am potentially open to learning about it. Will the Powerwall 2 offer me any real benefit assuming I continue to not have solar? Are there other costs I should be aware of to take receipt and install one of these? If it turns out I won't have much use for a Powerwall 2, it seems that people are interested in purchasing these, which I could potentially be open to (unless of course it will be a sweet addition to my house and I'll be stoked I have it). Thanks!

2. eml2

eml2 Member

I also live in Massachusetts. I have solar panels installed about 2 months ago. 2 Powerwalls installed last week.

Besides the Powerwall, you will need a Backup Energy Gateway. In addition, depending on your current main electric panel, you may need to have it upgraded.

3. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

What was the installation cost?

4. commasign

commasign Active Member

How often do you have power outages? If more than never, maybe the few thousand dollar cost for installation maybe worth it for what is a really good UPS even if you use none of its other features (time of use shifting, self consumption, etc).

5. eml2

eml2 Member

I got it as a whole package (solar + 1 powerwall + installation). However, I did ask them the difference between just solar and solar + powerwall, and it is ~10K.

From what I read from this forum, it seems the cheapest is to order and install directly from Tesla/Solar City. But most of them are in California.

• Like x 1
  6. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Thanks.

7. Scoopa

Scoopa Member

We have never had a power outage, at least in the 2 1/2 years in the house. Having backup seems like a good idea, however did I read it correctly that a Powerwall 2 supplies approx 3 hours or so of electricity as a back up? Just wondering if per eml2's comment paying an extra $4,500 ($10K minus PW 2 "cost" of $5,500) would add enough value to justify the $4,500 out of pocket cost. Hmm. Am I missing something that anyone can see? Thanks!

8. commasign

commasign Active Member

One Powerwall 2 has usable capacity of about 13 kWh. So depends on how much power your house uses. If you use an average of 1 kW it would last 13 hours.

• Like x 1