Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Powerwall 2 advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I just had the good fortune of having my 4th referral in the last few months take delivery. Woo hoo! I know this also means I'll presumably be getting an email saying I'm due a Powerwall 2.

Has anyone received one of these yet either through the referral program or purchasing one of these bad boys? If so, I'd love thoughts and opinions. I don't have solar, live in Massachusetts in a house that I probably realistically won't be getting solar anytime soon, though I am potentially open to learning about it. Will the Powerwall 2 offer me any real benefit assuming I continue to not have solar? Are there other costs I should be aware of to take receipt and install one of these? If it turns out I won't have much use for a Powerwall 2, it seems that people are interested in purchasing these, which I could potentially be open to (unless of course it will be a sweet addition to my house and I'll be stoked I have it). Thanks!

I also live in Massachusetts. I have solar panels installed about 2 months ago. 2 Powerwalls installed last week.

Besides the Powerwall, you will need a Backup Energy Gateway. In addition, depending on your current main electric panel, you may need to have it upgraded.

How often do you have power outages? If more than never, maybe the few thousand dollar cost for installation maybe worth it for what is a really good UPS even if you use none of its other features (time of use shifting, self consumption, etc).

How often do you have power outages? If more than never, maybe the few thousand dollar cost for installation maybe worth it for what is a really good UPS even if you use none of its other features (time of use shifting, self consumption, etc).
We have never had a power outage, at least in the 2 1/2 years in the house. Having backup seems like a good idea, however did I read it correctly that a Powerwall 2 supplies approx 3 hours or so of electricity as a back up? Just wondering if per eml2's comment paying an extra $4,500 ($10K minus PW 2 "cost" of $5,500) would add enough value to justify the $4,500 out of pocket cost. Hmm. Am I missing something that anyone can see? Thanks!

We have never had a power outage, at least in the 2 1/2 years in the house. Having backup seems like a good idea, however did I read it correctly that a Powerwall 2 supplies approx 3 hours or so of electricity as a back up? Just wondering if per eml2's comment paying an extra $4,500 ($10K minus PW 2 "cost" of $5,500) would add enough value to justify the $4,500 out of pocket cost. Hmm. Am I missing something that anyone can see? Thanks!

One Powerwall 2 has usable capacity of about 13 kWh. So depends on how much power your house uses. If you use an average of 1 kW it would last 13 hours.

Reactions: Scoopa