Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Powerwall 2 installation location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone installed a Tesla powerwall 2? If so, did you install it indoors or outdoors? And may I ask the reason?

I'm in the process of getting my solar and battery installation find. My contractor is suggesting that I install the power walls outside near the electrical panel. He says that cold weather will not hurt the battery's performance and it will in fact help it (which sounds strange to me), and that heat tends to be the bigger issue. But since we'd be installing it in an east facing direction that is also protected by a neighbor's redwood tree, we should be fine he says. Further, he says that the 85 ft run from the inverter, which will be installed near the panel, to the garage where I wanted the batteries installed indoors, would be 85 ft. He claims that I would lose as much as 10 to 20% in efficiency due to the distance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, since I need to make my decision by tomorrow noon.

Finally, and less critically, I'm wondering what PG&E rate plan is recommended. I drive an EV so I should qualify for the EV plan. However I have heard folks recommend the ETOU-D (energy time of use D) plan even if your drive an EV. Best.

Has anyone installed a Tesla powerwall 2? If so, did you install it indoors or outdoors? And may I ask the reason?

I'm in the process of getting my solar and battery installation find. My contractor is suggesting that I install the power walls outside near the electrical panel. He says that cold weather will not hurt the battery's performance and it will in fact help it (which sounds strange to me), and that heat tends to be the bigger issue. But since we'd be installing it in an east facing direction that is also protected by a neighbor's redwood tree, we should be fine he says. Further, he says that the 85 ft run from the inverter, which will be installed near the panel, to the garage where I wanted the batteries installed indoors, would be 85 ft. He claims that I would lose as much as 10 to 20% in efficiency due to the distance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, since I need to make my decision by tomorrow noon.

Finally, and less critically, I'm wondering what PG&E rate plan is recommended. I drive an EV so I should qualify for the EV plan. However I have heard folks recommend the ETOU-D (energy time of use D) plan even if your drive an EV. Best.
If you have EV and batteries, you will have EV2-a rate plan.

I have 5 batteries outside. From my inverters to the generation panels is like 100 feet. I lose more from the shading of my neighbors trees than anything related to my wiring. IMO, put the stuff where it looks the nicest, and is out of the way of things like traffic

Mine were installed on an outside wall. It may have been better to put them in the garage but pulling new wire from the meter area to the garage would have been expensive. Now there are increasing restrictions from the fire departments on installing in garages. In our climate, they do just fine outside. Just don't put them in direct south facing sun.

Powerwall Installation.jpg

Mine were installed on an outside wall. It may have been better to put them in the garage but pulling new wire from the meter area to the garage would have been expensive. Now there are increasing restrictions from the fire departments on installing in garages. In our climate, they do just fine outside. Just don't put them in direct south facing sun.

View attachment 647565
Is that a GW1?

If you have EV and batteries, you will have EV2-a rate plan.

I have 5 batteries outside. From my inverters to the generation panels is like 100 feet. I lose more from the shading of my neighbors trees than anything related to my wiring. IMO, put the stuff where it looks the nicest, and is out of the way of things like traffic
Thank you, sir!

View attachment 647565
Thanks so much! Clean install! just wondering if it makes sense to also have the inverters in the garage near the batteries?

Thank you, sir!

Thanks so much! Clean install! just wondering if it makes sense to also have the inverters in the garage near the batteries?

Im not sure you will have an option to put them inside a garage (at least not easily) in most places in northern california:

This thread has some information on what I am talking about Santa Clara County retroactively Changing ESS Rules

Thank you, sir!

My inverters are 100 feet from the batteries. I put them in the garage in the back where they were the most out of the way.

Everyone who sees the installation of my solar, batteries, conduits, panels, inverters, disconnects, etc. are impressed on how clean it all looks. Got to have it look nice, not nerdy, when it is time to sell.