Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Powerwall coordination

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you scroll across to the page in the app with your Powerwall, go into settings, and then scroll down you will find the slider to adjust the amount of Powerwall charge you want reserve for the house and the amount that can go to the car.

Attachments

• 1811030B-03A6-4E72-AF3D-2D66FA869D05.png
    1811030B-03A6-4E72-AF3D-2D66FA869D05.png
    308.2 KB · Views: 159
If you scroll across to the page in the app with your Powerwall, go into settings, and then scroll down you will find the slider to adjust the amount of Powerwall charge you want reserve for the house and the amount that can go to the car.
My Android phone running the latest App doesn’t have that menu item under the Storm Watch setting. The next item on my phone is “Configure Wi Fi”.
We have a two year old Powerwall and the latest Gen 3 wall charger.

I suspect the option will only appear if the house circuit has been configured per Tesla’s diagram. Time to call back the installers to figure out what needs to change at my house.

Attachments

• F704979C-2079-4096-A9BA-EF0D1685ADB8.jpeg
    F704979C-2079-4096-A9BA-EF0D1685ADB8.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: Hairyman
I suspect the option will only appear if the house circuit has been configured per Tesla’s diagram. Time to call back the installers to figure out what needs to change at my house.
You are spot on. I forgot the Charger is currently configured on the non back-up circuit. This was done deliberately when installing to spread house load across two circuits. I have a 15 amp outlet in our garage, that is on the back-up circuit, that I had intended to use for charging in an extended power outage, and at that time I was unaware of the coordination available between charger and Powerwall. That’s what being old does to my memory. Thank you for your help.

I don't believe that is true.

We have three phase power and the HPWC is configured for three phase. There is no way I could use it in a power outage but the option appears for me in settings.

I can, of course, use the HMC connected to one of the backed up circuits.

Well I managed to reach out to Tesla Support this morning as I wanted some clarification on how they have implemented their black magic.

As an example my gateway can see the power consumption of the Tesla Gen 3 wall connector and the Powerwall is also feeding power to the Tesla Gen 3 wall connector when required.

Tesla Support (US) have advised that Tesla (Australia) have turned off the “vehicle charging when off-grid” - which sounds strange given it is an advertised function on their website and obviously people have access to the function on their app.

Tesla Support (US) advised that people may still have access to the app function depending on when they commissioned their Powerwall. Which again does not sound correct.

Tesla Support (US) have agreed to get some further details from Tesla (Australia) and I will let people know once I have a response.

Reactions: evpaddie
Well I managed to reach out to Tesla Support this morning as I wanted some clarification on how they have implemented their black magic.

As an example my gateway can see the power consumption of the Tesla Gen 3 wall connector and the Powerwall is also feeding power to the Tesla Gen 3 wall connector when required.

Tesla Support (US) have advised that Tesla (Australia) have turned off the “vehicle charging when off-grid” - which sounds strange given it is an advertised function on their website and obviously people have access to the function on their app.

Tesla Support (US) advised that people may still have access to the app function depending on when they commissioned their Powerwall. Which again does not sound correct.

Tesla Support (US) have agreed to get some further details from Tesla (Australia) and I will let people know once I have a response.
I wouldnt trust or believe anything that tesla powerwall USA support say on the phone. On every occasion they have outright lied. They are just a couple of marketing guys who try to smooth stuff over. Real problems get elevated to tesla australia tech support. They are excellent.
Tesla USA wont get anything from tesla aust for you. They’ll make something up though.
To give an example…my powerwall data showed it was drawing a lot of power from the grid when it had its own capacity plus solar. I sent USA my grid meter data to show the problem. They had an ‘engineer’ look at it who proclaimed all was normal. Through some forced unpleasant actions I managed to get tesla australia involved who took one look a the same data and said “thats not right”. Tesla Aust fixed it too.

Last edited:

I think you are correct and there could be a local issue as described by Tesla Support. Our sparky moved the breaker switch for our Tesla Gen 3 Charger to our backup circuit and the vehicle charging option still doesn't appear in either the Android or IOS app. To check, I switched off mains and the Telsa charger is working and charging the car when the power is out.

Update:

The installer has been working with Tesla Australia to try to figure out what’s going on.

From the support documentation date Jan 2020, it says that the feature is available for single phase installs limited to US, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Korea, Taiwan.

Three phase support is listed as coming soon and lists Australia as a market.

Anyone running the feature on a three phase setup?

Update:

I spoke with Tesla support Australia earlier last week, which resulted in a case being raised. The ticket indicated that Tesla needed to whitelist the frequency shift load shed.

As of today, I can now see the option for Vehicle Charging when Off-Grid - which is great!

Searching web, I found some information on frequency shift load shed, however I wonder if the frequencies are controlled at national, state or supplier level? If anyone could post an answer, that would be great, as it may help other people in future.

Reactions: m4rtin
Great, you got yours functional.

Had my PW commissioned last week and was also trying to get this functionality, my installer shifted three phase HPWC to single phase on backup circuit (dropped charging from 12 kW to 7 kW), which I was ok with, but obviously the phase is faster, so I'm interested in this option for future.

I haven't had the option come up on my app, so sounds like I need to log a service ticket for the frequency shift load shed.

Does this mean it does the control via the AC connection by frequency shift?

Sounds like it doesn't use the RS485 connection you use between multiple HPWC to share charging rates and set max current.

Update:

I spoke with Tesla support Australia earlier last week, which resulted in a case being raised. The ticket indicated that Tesla needed to whitelist the frequency shift load shed.

As of today, I can now see the option for Vehicle Charging when Off-Grid - which is great!

Searching web, I found some information on frequency shift load shed, however I wonder if the frequencies are controlled at national, state or supplier level? If anyone could post an answer, that would be great, as it may help other people in future.
The Tesla vehicle charging feature is only available when the grid is down. In that condition, the Powerwall system has control of the micro-grid frequency. This is also how it forces the solar offline when the batteries are getting full - it raises the frequency until the solar stops generating.

• Informative
Update:

In Australia here also and have same issue. Can you see it actively managing/throttling the charging threshold now?