Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Powerwall Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie question here…we got 2 Powerwalls mounted outside and they look awesome. But I’m worried a few years down the road, will they become discolored, scratched up etc? All of my devices like phones and tablets have cases on them to keep them clean. Any such products for the Powerwalls (maybe a zipper bag or something for the winter etc)?

I still have them in the vinyl wrap they shipped with as I need to redo the stucco and paint where they are mounted eventually (as I should have done it before they were ever installed). You could consider using a vinyl wrap like the paint protection films used on cars. Just don't cover the vents.

I think that the use case for a Powerwall is a little different than a daily use phone...

The Powerwall covers are metal; easy to paint, if you needed to. My bet would be they are currently protected by power coated or with an automotive paint, which is going to be pretty tough and durable in the general scheme of things compared to house paint.

I guess painting opens up possibilities for novel color schemes, but personally I'm not planning to do anything until the warranty expires.

All the best,

BG

Wonder if you could do a PPF wrap (e.g. XPEL, SunTek) if you really wanted to protect the paint. I mean people do it for Tesla cars all the time. This sounds silly but there's so many possibilities...how about a stealth wrap? Color-change wrap? Do you do a paint correction first? :cool:

(In all seriousness I think the Powerwalls will be fine on their own.)

Bruce.

Yes there is a thin white plastic wrap to prevent damage during shipping/installation like you see on a lot of electronic devices...I shouldn't have called it vinyl. My installers left it on. I removed it from the inverters but not the powerwalls.
That's what I thought, just want to confirm we are talking about the same thing.

My installer told me to remove it right away as I wanted to leave it there as long as possible he told me it will become sticky and very hard to remove it as time goes on.

I think that the use case for a Powerwall is a little different than a daily use phone...

The Powerwall covers are metal; easy to paint, if you needed to. My bet would be they are currently protected by power coated or with an automotive paint, which is going to be pretty tough and durable in the general scheme of things compared to house paint.

I guess painting opens up possibilities for novel color schemes, but personally I'm not planning to do anything until the warranty expires.

All the best,

BG
I did some research as mine are outside also, they are painted with Tesla's automotive paint with a UV blocker added in.

One of mine is 5 years old and outdoors (see my profile pic). I've basically done nothing to it except clean out the spiderwebs every few weeks. It has some dirt stains from the rain but it wipes off with my finger. I wouldn't worry about it unless people will be doing something around it with sharp pointy things.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin