Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Powerwall Quote - feedback?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my quote Sent by Tesla for my Wall and install. I already have an existing solar install. I am a bit surprised at the cost. I was told they are only doing two powerwall unit installs at this time. I understand that I will get a 30% tax credit to apply for the 2019 tax return. I really haven’t researched if there are any significant energy cost savings that I would see. I get my electricity from PG&E on their EV-A schedule. Any feedback is highly appreciated.

PRICE SHEET
2 Powerwalls $13,400
Entire home backup
Backup gateway $1,100
Installation fees $4,750
Installation service $3,750
Hidden conduit $1,000
Permitting fees $500
Taxes $1,123.75
Initial payment -$500

Total due upon installation $20,373.75

Last edited:
There isn't a very high ROI on Powerwalls. You can charge from solar in the part-peak period and then use the Powerwalls to satisfy the house load during peak to get a certain amount of arbitrage. This is only $0.13 per kWh that you use during peak, though, so you can figure out your break-even period from that.

Reactions: nwdiver
Here is my quote Sent by Tesla for my Wall and install. I already have an existing solar install. I am a bit surprised at the cost. I was told they are only doing two powerwall unit installs at this time. I understand that I will get a 30% tax credit to apply for the 2019 tax return. I really haven’t researched if there are any significant energy cost savings that I would see. I get my electricity from PG&E on their EV-A schedule. Any feedback is highly appreciated.

PRICE SHEET
2 Powerwalls $13,400
Entire home backup
Backup gateway $1,100
Installation fees $4,750
Hidden conduit $1,000
Permitting fees $500
Taxes $1,123.75
Initial payment -$500

Prices keep going up. This is what I paid less than a year ago:

2 x Powerwall $11,000
Entire home backup
Backup gateway $700
Installation service $1,500
Multi-Powerwall installation $200
Main panel upgrade $0
Trenching $0
Hidden conduit $0
Concrete pad $0
Additional charges $0
Permitting fees $150
Taxes $1,111.50
Credit for order payment -$500
Purchase Price $14,161.50

If you want to have SGIP, maybe worth finding other authorized Powerwall installers and compare with Tesla Energy pricing. Tesla has maxed out on SGIP reservations.

PG&E's current SGIP Step 5 @ $0.25 per Wh

SGIP |

PG&E Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP)

My local authorized PW installer beat Tesla Energy's quote by $500 for 2 PW, and able to reserve SGIP in SCE territory, plus this installer paid for 5% application fee, and took care of all documentation/submission work.

What is the 30% tax rebate you mentioned? My understanding is that the federal tax rebate only applies when you install the power walls at the same time as the solar panels. If you do it as two separate projects then the tax credit does not apply.

If that is not the case the. I would love to hear that because I am in the same situation.

PRICE SHEET
2 Powerwalls $13,400
Entire home backup
Backup gateway $1,100
Installation fees $4,750
Hidden conduit $1,000
Permitting fees $500
Taxes $1,123.75
Initial payment -$500

I would ask - what is the difference between installation fees and installation service? It seems that they are charging 8500 to install them, which seems excessive.

What is the 30% tax rebate you mentioned? My understanding is that the federal tax rebate only applies when you install the power walls at the same time as the solar panels. If you do it as two separate projects then the tax credit does not apply.

If that is not the case the. I would love to hear that because I am in the same situation.

You get the credit even if you install them separately, as long as the powerwall gets charged from the solar.

I would ask - what is the difference between installation fees and installation service? It seems that they are charging 8500 to install them, which seems excessive.

I think some formatting was lost there, the two lines under "Installation fees" conveniently add-up to that line's total, and the initial+total due adds up to 4750 less than the sum of all of the numbers. So the total installation looks like $4750, $3750 + $1000 for hidden conduit.

I'll add my +1 to @Dan123's post above. I talked to my accountant and she said the Powerwall is eligible as long as it's completely charged from solar. Since Tesla configures them that way in the US, all Powerwalls should be eligible as long as there's a solar system, whether that was installed before or at the same time as the Powerwalls. My solar was installed a year before the Powerwalls (so different tax year).

I think some formatting was lost there, the two lines under "Installation fees" conveniently add-up to that line's total, and the initial+total due adds up to 4750 less than the sum of all of the numbers. So the total installation looks like $4750, $3750 + $1000 for hidden conduit.

Ok, still seems excessive for installation. Maybe there is something complicated about your installation.

They quoted me 2500 for installation (I don't need a hidden conduit). My installation is simple.

PRICE SHEET
2 Powerwalls $13,400
Entire home backup
Backup gateway $1,100
Installation fees $4,750
Hidden conduit $1,000
Permitting fees $500
Taxes $1,123.75
Initial payment -$500

As mentioned above, the total installation charge is $4750. $1000 of that is hidden conduit. The rest ($3750) is indeed on the high side. For more perspective you’ll probably need to chime in on any challenges or site constraints of your particular installation. For example, if they need to run conduit to a remote solar location to tie together, trenching required, other tough stuff. The equipment is all at current Tesla pricing. ROI has been addressed — you should evaluate whether you care about backup capability or cost savings. If only the latter you may be disappointed as you cannot export energy to the grid from the Powerwalls in the standard installation.

The days of $900 to install 2 PWs are over. One full electrician, and one journeyman or less for one day. Plus a supervisor for city inspection. Elon doesn't want to scare anyone away, prices are what they are. They don't make money on service (sound familiar). The old "MPU upgrade" looks to be renamed as "installation service." Really when Elon said not enough electrician in the USA, he means it. That "service" is a hard bid to a 3rd party electrician. No markup whatsoever, exactly like trading a used car in... they do it as a service. Prices on the hardware itself is where the money is being made to pay for the engineers, designers, and support staff.

For cost savings, PW time based control (TBC), during peak hours 100% solar will be sent to the grid... I mean all of it. Home loads while you are at work in the afternoon or cooking dinner will come from the batteries. The batteries are 80-89% efficient, so charging at 11AM and using battery power at 9PM (on EV-A) is disadvantageous. For me significant rate arbitrage comes from charging on weekends, and the big Monday discharge, then going empty on Friday and charging on weekends.

I haven't been keeping up with current SGIP, Tesla & PG&E state of affairs. If one goes big, say 4 PWs (>10kW), are you really at Step 5 with Tesla? Tesla prices are narrowly approaching market rate. I think Tesla is still trying to out compete even their authorized installers.

Last edited: