Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Powerwalls for backup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think that ClimateMaster heat pumps are modulating, similar to Mitsubishi air heat pumps. I did not have any problems with 3 PWs feeding 2 heat pumps with 5.5 ton total capacity and other devices in the house. Unfortunately Mitsubishi controller does not show compressor engagement level so I do not know if compressors were fully used.

Also it is important to clarify meaning of “backup power”. Some people mean switching to minimal electricity consumption mode, keeping only essential electricity consuming devices, during blackout. Other people mean, continue using everything like blackout never happened. Calculations are very different for these 2 scenarios.

Last edited:
Reactions: blperk
A big portion of that will also have to be added to the Powerwall cost.

Not sure of your aversion to propane, especially when it is outside away from the house.

But sure, pay twice as much for the Powerwalls, add installation and run for maybe a day or so, that's totally your choice.

+1 Propane is quite safe, but if natural gas is available in your area, that is even easier. I wouldn't recommend nat gas here in the SF Bay Area because of the earthquake risk, as pipeline service may not be functional after a quake, and our insurance companies like automatic seismic shutoff valves that will need to be manually bypassed.

Diesel is a great option, but I would go find a used industrial generator if you have the space. I got my Kohler INDUSTRIAL 30KW unit for less than a 1/3 of the retail price with 0 hours on it- less than 13K. It was originally bought by Verizon for cell site backup, but then they sold it. I see a lot of slightly used AT&T generators on ebay and genset dealers these days - bodes poorly for cell service working in a power outage...

Of course it's your choice, but esp in NY, you may not enough solar output to keep the HVAC etc... running for a longer duration outage. Powerwalls are less than ideal for backup power esp in Northern climes, but generators really do the job well.

Diesel is a great option, but I would go find a used industrial generator if you have the space. I got my Kohler INDUSTRIAL 30KW unit for less than a 1/3 of the retail price with 0 hours on it- less than 13K. It was originally bought by Verizon for cell site backup, but then they sold it. I see a lot of slightly used AT&T generators on ebay and genset dealers these days - bodes poorly for cell service working in a power outage...

I'm not a huge fan of Diesel.
  • It has to be pumped out of the tank
  • It has a finite lifetime of about 6-12 months.
I'm a little leery about a used cell site backup generator, they are sold for a reason. And it is surprising that there are 0 hours on it, that's enough reason for me to reject it. If it hasn't been exercised periodically, then the gunk isn't blown out and the moisture isn't cleared (allowing rusting)
I'm looking at a 30kW industrial generator Powering your home, your business, your world. that's only $12,000.
My 60kW has 13 hours on it after just a year of weekly test runs.

I'm not a huge fan of Diesel.
  • It has to be pumped out of the tank
  • It has a finite lifetime of about 6-12 months.
I'm a little leery about a used cell site backup generator, they are sold for a reason. And it is surprising that there are 0 hours on it, that's enough reason for me to reject it. If it hasn't been exercised periodically, then the gunk isn't blown out and the moisture isn't cleared (allowing rusting)
I'm looking at a 30kW industrial generator Powering your home, your business, your world. that's only $12,000.
My 60kW has 13 hours on it after just a year of weekly test runs.

Personally, I would frame it up as planning for outages takes preparation, whether it is splitting, drying, and stacking firewood, or arranging for backup electrical supplies. You can put propane in a tank and use it ten years later, if it hasn't leaked out. (Just because it went in, doesn't mean that there isn't a leak, or that a gasket can't go bad. "Trust, but verify.") If you want propane power, do

Gasoline and diesel fuels are different and need care; they aren't shelf stable and you can't just pour them in a tank and expect them to be ok.
  • You can buy cans of engineered gasoline, e.g. TruFuel, that can last up to five years, or racing fuel in sealed cans, which can last much longer. Untreated gas from the pump is good for three to six months. If you have a way to rotate your fuel, that is great. Otherwise, plan ahead.
  • Diesel fuel is hydroscopic, so you need to either prevent moisture from getting in, or have a process for removing it continuously. It is also a good idea to have your diesel treated with an algicide on a scheduled basis, and get the fuel filtered to help keep the fuel clean and free of gunk. Both are easy to do with a recirculating pump and an extra filter, dosed with algicide when installed.
I have used and bought a number of generators, and while a used generator can be in any condition, ex-industrial, and ex-military generators can be found that were never put into service, and at a big discount to retail. If you are buying from a big company, and the unit is five years old or older, it probably either was surplus to a project, or just hit the depreciation limit, but the devil is in the details. My $0.02 is that if you aren't familiar with the ins and outs of standby/prime power generation, trying to DYI is likely to have a steep, and potentially expensive learning curve.

Generac makes things pretty simple for homeowners, if you can use natural gas or propane. Just do a little checking on who the local installers are, and there is a big difference between residential only and commercial technicians. Like many things in life, some are better than others.

The OP, @blperk, wrote that they weren't interested in propane or diesel, which leaves solar, hydro, and wind for residential use.

All the best,

BG