Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla ppf vs xpel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nybble

Oct 29, 2022
nyc
hello - i was looking at getting ppf for my new LR MY. it seems like tesla is selling a ppf for fenders and rear doors for $50 and their service folks will do the installation. Not sure how much that will be. But getting even a basic fenders only xpel PPF is nearly $1k. Wondering at the difference - never had ppf on another car, so not sure what it means for their to be such a massive price gap. any thoughts are appreciated.

Do you have the stealth version?
I have the film as I sell some products with it (for interiors) but for the exterior it would be a bit strange to have a glossy paint with just segments of stealth PPF, no? I can do it as a custom order of course, just DM me, just saying that it may look off as it will draw attention onto the film when it's not a full car wrap.

Upvote 0
When it comes to choosing the right paint protection film, two of the biggest names are Tesla PPF and XPEL PPF. Both offer excellent protection for your car's paint job, but there are some important differences you should consider before making a purchase.

Tesla PPF is a soft, flexible material that is designed to be thin and long-lasting. It is self-healing and very resistant to scratches, chips, and discoloration due to UV exposure. However, it can be difficult to install because of its flexibility and may require professional help. Additionally, Tesla PPF will wear down over time as it gets exposed to the elements; eventually needing replacement in order to maintain its protective qualities.

XPEL PPF, on the other hand, is a thicker and less flexible material. It's easier to install than Tesla PPF and can even be applied as a DIY project. XPEL PPF also has excellent scratch resistance, UV protection, and durability making it an ideal choice for cars that are frequently exposed to harsh conditions such as dust or dirt roads. However, XPEL PPF does not have self-healing properties like Tesla PPF, so if it becomes scratched it will need to be repaired or replaced.

The main takeaway is that both Tesla PPF and XPEL PPF offer great protection for your car's paint job but differ in their installation requirements and longevity. Depending on how often you plan on driving your car and the type of environment it will be exposed to, you can decide which option is best for your needs. Whichever one you choose, rest assured that your car's paint job will be well protected.

Cheers,
Joseph
From Precision Auto Styling

Upvote 0
I have a full wrap of XPEL stealth PPF.

At the very least the lower back corner of each of the passenger doors gets absolutely dinged up by road debris. Front mudflaps and PPF in those sections are a must IMO. Similarly the front gets lots of rock chips over time (as with any car really).

I love it and it's saved my car from many scratches (kids) as they rub up against the car with backpacks or write messages with their fingers on the grime that builds up after a single winter drive. It's protected against a couple instances where my wife drove too close to the bushes encroaching into our driveway. I definitely have a couple spots on the front where the PPF got clearly ripped up by small rocks but the paint underneath is safe.

Cherry on top is that the stealth PPF is an absolute head-turner and looks amazing in low-light situations.

Upvote 0