Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla practical in NYC (Brooklyn) or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I’m moving from the Bay Area (which I hate) to NYC (which I love) and I’m really excited. The only downside is I’m going from what is probably the best place in the country for owning a Tesla, to one that may very well be the opposite.

We currently own a 2019 Model 3 and a 2014 BMW 328i wagon (ICE, obvs) and we’ll be bringing one of them to NYC because we want an easy way to get ourselves and our doggos out for weekend jaunts to family in nearby states, and whatever other rare big box shopping jaunts one does.

At this point, I’m leaning towards bringing the BMW and selling the Tesla, even though the Tesla is better in (almost) every way.

From what I’ve seen, it seems that keeping the Tesla is a lot more effort in NYC than it is in the Bay Area....What with lack of charging infrastructure, the constant battery drain of the cold weather, etc. I don’t want to need a weekly routine of tending to charging my car even when I’m not going anywhere in it!

Any Tesla NYCers here? How have you found it?

Not an owner (yet), still own an ICE for leisure trips - renting over weekends is a real pain. Unless you have your own garage I would strongly suggest finding a parking garage, more so if the Model 3. Many now have EV chargers, and all are expensive, since it's New York.

Hi all, I’m moving from the Bay Area (which I hate) to NYC (which I love) and I’m really excited. The only downside is I’m going from what is probably the best place in the country for owning a Tesla, to one that may very well be the opposite.

We currently own a 2019 Model 3 and a 2014 BMW 328i wagon (ICE, obvs) and we’ll be bringing one of them to NYC because we want an easy way to get ourselves and our doggos out for weekend jaunts to family in nearby states, and whatever other rare big box shopping jaunts one does.

At this point, I’m leaning towards bringing the BMW and selling the Tesla, even though the Tesla is better in (almost) every way.

From what I’ve seen, it seems that keeping the Tesla is a lot more effort in NYC than it is in the Bay Area....What with lack of charging infrastructure, the constant battery drain of the cold weather, etc. I don’t want to need a weekly routine of tending to charging my car even when I’m not going anywhere in it!

Any Tesla NYCers here? How have you found it?

It depends really where you’re going to live. Are you near a supercharger? Can you charge at home? There are also a lot of apartment complexes that have chargers there.

It all depends on where in Brooklyn you will be living and how much you drive.

I have a Tesla in Williamsburg.
North side has a number of garages with L2 chargers, South side has one as well.
I have a very convenient garage across the street that I prefer over having L2 charging and a longer walk.
There are a good number of Urban Superchargers in Brooklyn, plus Queens and Lower Manhattan.

For me it is a weekend car and I drive less than 4k miles/year so this works for me.
Quite often my weekend drives take me out of the city and I hit a higher speed Supercharger on the way back from CT/LI/NJ at a rest stop or while running errands.

Similar to someone up thread, I know someone who lives in a townhouse/brownstone type setup in south Brooklyn who runs an L2 charging cable under a plastic cover on the sidewalk to charge when parallel parked out front of home.

So if you can be more specific about where / driving usage might be able to give you a better idea of feasibility.