TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Prep: The ultimate Model 3 delivery checklist

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by cmyke, Aug 20, 2018.

1. cmyke

cmyke Member

teslaprep

I built a resource for preparing for, buying, and taking delivery of a Model 3. It's as comprehensive as possible, consolidating every resource I could find into one page. I plan to use this as my checklist when I take delivery in (hopefully) less than a month.

It's organized a bit like an airplane pre-flight checklist, working outside-to-inside, minimizing the number of times you're jumping in and out of the car.

Is there something missing? Feel free to fork and add, or make a suggestion here and I'll be sure to add it.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. pdxev

pdxev Member

Great list. I understand the paint can be a bit subjective, but I feel like, in the ideal world, the rest of the list should be covered by a pre-purchase dealer checklist.

3. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

4. AEZ

AEZ Member

#cmyke. Great resource. Thanks!

5. COM3

COM3 Member

Thank you! Saved for later.

6. PLUGZIN

PLUGZIN Member

Great resource; much more comprehensive than pdf lists available when I took delivery in April. However, they were very helpful. One minor thing to add is to check the mirrors on the visor. A few weeks after delivery when first using visor mirror on passenger side; the mirror was found to have multiple cracks; fortunately held in place by the protective film. Took it to service center and since the visor was on back-order they put in a request for mobile service to repair. About a month later the visor was available and mobile service replaced at my home in about 15 minutes..

One question; your list includes "Emergency Pack" in the frunk. Is this something new that Tesla is providing; or was it something you special ordered? If it isn't a new item; guess I should check with Service on why I didn't receive one.

Thanks

7. ZoomDoggie

ZoomDoggie Member

Great resource! Thank you!!

8. cmyke

cmyke Member

Good updates! I'll add the visor mirrors to the list.

I will adjust the "emergency pack" for the "inflation kit" which is included/required only in certain states.

9. cmyke

cmyke Member

No problem! Love that doggie (fellow greyhound owner) :)

10. ZoomDoggie

ZoomDoggie Member

Cool! He was a racing school dropout (smart boy). How does yours do with the Model 3? I'm debating about getting a 'doggie hammock' for him, or just keep my old car for toting him around.

11. dgo3

dgo3 New Member

I used teslachecklists.com for my AWD delivery on Thursday. It really helped and was easy to use! Thank you!

12. rajetta

rajetta Member

The fact that this lists exists is unfortunate. It's like throw back to 1970s or 1980s where people are advised to check for these things when you are buying American made cars.
    After that, any new car manufacturer does all these checks and won't pass inspection.
    So, why Tesla is letting these cars out for delivery ?
    I do lease a MS and about buy M3. Isn't it going backwards? If all these issues are possible, then probably there are issues in welding or structure... There is nothing you can do about it

13. N5329K

N5329K Active Member

Good work, and very useful. Thanks.
    One nit: a good aviation checklist incorporates a flow. You start in one place, and work your way steadily and consistently around the airplane until you arrive back at the starting point. IOW, open the baggage bay, remove tools needed, and work your way clockwise forward to the flaps, the flap hinges, the ailerons and aileron hinges, the wingtips, leading edge, fuel drain, engine bay, prop, other side of the engine bay, etc. Your checklist items are all totally valid, but require more back and forth (and in and out) than would be ideal.
    Good thing you (should) only have to do it once!
    Robin

14. N5329K

N5329K Active Member

Wait a year and you will have fewer items to check, or worry about. For now, Model 3 buyers are still "wind dummies".
    Robin

15. cmyke

cmyke Member

Agreed, it’s not 100% like doing a preflight on a 172 or something. I tried to order it based on when you’d bring it up with the Delivery Advisor rather than physically walking around the car.

So for example, first, make sure the car is what the paper says it is by getting inside and pressing the Tesla T. No point in proceeding further if this part fails.

I guess that’s the equivalent of AROW, but that also involves a lot of in-and-out in a plane :)