TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Presidential Limo?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tenstringer009, Mar 13, 2014.

1. tenstringer009

Looks like the government is looking to replace the current 'Beast'.

Secret Service taking bids for next presidential limo [w/poll] - Autoblog

They mention Tesla in the article which brings up two questions.

1) Do you think Tesla should try to make a bid for the next presidential limo?

2) If Tesla did make a bid, do you think it'd have a shot at being selected?

My two cents? While it would be very cool, Tesla doesn't seem to have the bandwidth and it certainly wouldn't be a money-making proposition for them. Although, it'd be another good way for them to technically not spend any money on marketing but still get lots of media attention.

However, even if they did put forth a valid bid, I doubt they'd be selected due to it not being a tried and true powertrain. The Secret Service probably wouldn't want to deal with all the perceived 'unknowns' that still exist with electrical powertrains.

2. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

I hate to say it, but... have you ever seen a full-size adult trying to get out of the back seat of a Model S? Definitely not very "Presidential." :(

3. skdave

skdave Member

Would never happen IMO. The weight of the president’slimo makes it impossible. Range would top out at 30 miles top. The glass is 4 inch thick, not to mention the steel armor... Back inthe early 80's I had the pleasure of riding in President Reagans and I'm sure Obama'sis even larger. Next idea please.

4. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

^^^This. It's just too heavy.

5. republic

republic Member

#5 republic, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    The current limo gets 8mpg with a 60mph top speed. EVs perform great at the typically low speeds of a presidential limo, and it could have a 300kWh pack. What's another $200k? :p

[​IMG]

6. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

Could you imagine a huge armored falcon door opening, the presidential seal on the inside roof, becoming visible upon full raise of the door, the president standing in the vehicle waving outward - would be an awesome sight. Very presidential, IMO. Would make the current, beastly monstrosity look as ridiculous as...well....

idiocracy31.jpg

7. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Weight yeah but also length. They could fit two 85kWh packs and two power trains. Weight is only a problem while accelerating, while driving not so much.
    With 170kWh pack, they could still hit 200 - 300 mile of range which is plenty enough. Give them their private SC, battery swapper and few replacement packs and it could be one hell of a PR.

They could also provide just the drivetrain. it would need to be a bit more bulletproof, failure is not an option here.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

There would likely be one EV and one traditional ICE version anyway. For EV range not issue for most ceremonial drives or around DC.

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's not like they do road trips to all the prez libraries. Would be cool to see a Supercharger at the White House though.

10. Ufrugger

Ufrugger Member

11. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Yer limo's got a limp: flat left front tire....

If any of this occurred, I'd have to sell mine. Back to the pickup truck for me.

12. dsm363

Someone would get angry about wasting tax dollars with the limo using 21" rims though=)

13. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I like this. IMO technical problems of any kinds can be overtaken and I think that a completely American brand like Tesla could fit very well as Presidential car. Then it would be a very good ad for EVs and Tesla.

14. Chris Naps

Chris Naps Member

#14 Chris Naps, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    It is cool, but definitely not going to happen.

Reason? The thing is already to damn heavy! Estimated at 20,000 lbs.. adding a 300 kw battery = another 5,000 pounds or more?

This limo is so heavy that it can't even make it up a steep driveway!

15. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

This happened in Italy. After this we'd better learn to build better driveway. :crying:

Anyway the Presidential Limo got stuck because the wheels didn't touch anymore the pavement and not because of the weight IMO.

16. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

1. That’s the previous version of the Presidential Limo.

2. It didn’t get stuck because it was too heavy. It got stuck because the Secret Service missed to make sure the limo could clear that particular driveway. But sure, once it was stuck I’m guessing the weight didn’t help.

But like the OP wrote: Does Tesla have the engineering resources to do something like this? Maybe they could supply drive trains and batteries, but I would think that would be challenging enough in case these would have to be modified in some way.

17. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

And now that stretched Leaf can only go 50 miles on a charge?

That looks like an Alexander house in Palm Springs CA.

18. dsm363