Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Presidential Limo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the government is looking to replace the current 'Beast'.

Secret Service taking bids for next presidential limo [w/poll] - Autoblog

They mention Tesla in the article which brings up two questions.

1) Do you think Tesla should try to make a bid for the next presidential limo?

2) If Tesla did make a bid, do you think it'd have a shot at being selected?

My two cents? While it would be very cool, Tesla doesn't seem to have the bandwidth and it certainly wouldn't be a money-making proposition for them. Although, it'd be another good way for them to technically not spend any money on marketing but still get lots of media attention.

However, even if they did put forth a valid bid, I doubt they'd be selected due to it not being a tried and true powertrain. The Secret Service probably wouldn't want to deal with all the perceived 'unknowns' that still exist with electrical powertrains.

Would never happen IMO. The weight of the president’slimo makes it impossible. Range would top out at 30 miles top. The glass is 4 inch thick, not to mention the steel armor... Back inthe early 80's I had the pleasure of riding in President Reagans and I'm sure Obama'sis even larger. Next idea please.

Would never happen IMO. The weight of the president’slimo makes it impossible. Range would top out at 30 miles top. The glass is 4 inch thick, not to mention the steel armor... Back inthe early 80's I had the pleasure of riding in President Reagans and I'm sure Obama'sis even larger. Next idea please.
The current limo gets 8mpg with a 60mph top speed. EVs perform great at the typically low speeds of a presidential limo, and it could have a 300kWh pack. What's another $200k? :p

tesla-presidential-limo-rendering_100460685_l.jpg

Last edited:
Could you imagine a huge armored falcon door opening, the presidential seal on the inside roof, becoming visible upon full raise of the door, the president standing in the vehicle waving outward - would be an awesome sight. Very presidential, IMO. Would make the current, beastly monstrosity look as ridiculous as...well....

idiocracy31.jpg

Weight yeah but also length. They could fit two 85kWh packs and two power trains. Weight is only a problem while accelerating, while driving not so much.
With 170kWh pack, they could still hit 200 - 300 mile of range which is plenty enough. Give them their private SC, battery swapper and few replacement packs and it could be one hell of a PR.

They could also provide just the drivetrain. it would need to be a bit more bulletproof, failure is not an option here.

It is cool, but definitely not going to happen.

Reason? The thing is already to damn heavy! Estimated at 20,000 lbs.. adding a 300 kw battery = another 5,000 pounds or more?

This limo is so heavy that it can't even make it up a steep driveway!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is cool, but definitely not going to happen.

Reason? The thing is already to damn heavy! Estimated at 20,000 lbs.. adding a 300 kw battery = another 5,000 pounds or more?

This limo is so heavy that it can't even make it up a steep driveway!

[President Obamas Limo Gets Stuck. - YouTube]
1. That’s the previous version of the Presidential Limo.

2. It didn’t get stuck because it was too heavy. It got stuck because the Secret Service missed to make sure the limo could clear that particular driveway. But sure, once it was stuck I’m guessing the weight didn’t help.

But like the OP wrote: Does Tesla have the engineering resources to do something like this? Maybe they could supply drive trains and batteries, but I would think that would be challenging enough in case these would have to be modified in some way.