Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Price drop on EAP + FSD - Fair to Ask for Price Adj?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just looking at the Tesla configurator, and compared it to my order confirmation from back in January 2017.

Note: Prices in CAD

I paid:
EAP: $7,100
FSD: $4,300
Total: $11,400

Currently Tesla shows pricing as:
EAP: $6,600
FSD: $4,000
Total: $10,600

Price difference ~ $800 + tax ($904 CAD)

Normally, yeah "You already bought it a long time ago, can't complain about price" - Sure.

However, in this case, Tesla has yet to deliver on EAP, and especially FSD which is who knows how far away.

A lot of other things have come down in price as well. The comparable build costs me about $13k less today than it did in January....and with that I can say sure, I took the chance and paid for it and got what I paid for....

However with the Autopilot I'm a bit sour on the price decrease....Any opinions?

Please don't say the whole 100k+ car and looking for $900, might not mean much to most here but does to some.

• Funny
Reactions: Cowby and azred
I don’t think it’s just autopilot that has dropped. Pretty sure it’s stayed 5k and 3k in the US.

Every option dropped in price when the CAD strengthened. Fwiw the price to add FSD has dropped to current price which is nice. But I’m not sure we should be hoping for refunds after a purchase because of currency changes.

I don’t think it’s just autopilot that has dropped. Pretty sure it’s stayed 5k and 3k in the US.

Every option dropped in price when the CAD strengthened. Fwiw the price to add FSD has dropped to current price which is nice. But I’m not sure we should be hoping for refunds after a purchase because of currency changes.

My issue here is...even though one could argue it could be for FX in the back end, Tesla sold the product as a "pre-order" (given its not yet been delivered). And sold the product in CAD $...unlike what they do with their "store" products like the wall charger which are sold in USD, and the consumer is responsible for the FX.

Think of it this way. If you pre-ordered a new iPhone, priced at $999 USD or $1319 CAD today....and say it gets delivered in 2 months when price changes to $999 USD or $1119 CAD.

If you buy it in CAD in Canada....do you really think Apple wouldn't honour the price difference prior to delivery? At the worst case, you can return and rebuy....

Also another thing to note, even if we look at USD...
Rate today: 1.2764 * 8k = $10,200
Rate at time of order (2017-01-17) per BOC: 1.306 = $10,448

So sure, if the FX Argument is at play, I'll happily pay their FX at the time, which would be another ~$150 cheaper.

Even if you look at it otherwise....$250 difference due to FX> Actual difference of $800...So....What about the other $550?