Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla price match on tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I share with the group my recent experience with a flat tire. Inevitably I got one on the ever-so-pristine freeways of Southern California (405 and 5 split precisely) - a bolt the size of a small child went through the tire deflating it in about 30 seconds I had to pull over. Called roadside, waited about an hour for the spare wheel to arrive and was in my way. The interesting part was when I called Tesla Service Center to check and schedule an appointment for the swap. I was quoted $425 for the stock Continental 20” tires. I decided to shop around and called America’s Discount Tire, CostCo and a few other places - the best price I got was $275. I though I was going to have to buy it outright and then get it mounted by Tesla, but when I called, they said they’d price match. Asked to see a quote - easy enough. When picking up the car they didn’t even confirm or verify - just trusted me on the price I told them and honored it. So...I guess it helps to shop around and do due diligence before accepting the Tesla inflated pricing at the service center. Go out there and haggle!!

Thought I share with the group my recent experience with a flat tire. Inevitably I got one on the ever-so-pristine freeways of Southern California (405 and 5 split precisely) - a bolt the size of a small child went through the tire deflating it in about 30 seconds I had to pull over. Called roadside, waited about an hour for the spare wheel to arrive and was in my way. The interesting part was when I called Tesla Service Center to check and schedule an appointment for the swap. I was quoted $425 for the stock Continental 20” tires. I decided to shop around and called America’s Discount Tire, CostCo and a few other places - the best price I got was $275. I though I was going to have to buy it outright and then get it mounted by Tesla, but when I called, they said they’d price match. Asked to see a quote - easy enough. When picking up the car they didn’t even confirm or verify - just trusted me on the price I told them and honored it. So...I guess it helps to shop around and do due diligence before accepting the Tesla inflated pricing at the service center. Go out there and haggle!!
Wow, they just charged me $200/tire for the 22" factory-spec tire...for a full set, so $800. Then they said it would need a $150 alignment and after tax i was like $1100-$1200 something, I forget.

I told them i would only do it if they could keep the entire bill at $1000. They accepted and got the work done for $1000 :D

When this happened to me Tesla respectfully explained they don’t buy tires by the million like other manufacturers so don’t get the best price - but they don’t mark them up either. They were within the shipping cost of tire rack for me but would have matched. I was pleasantly surprised to see a goodwill credit on my bill for a portion.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Wow, they just charged me $200/tire for the 22" factory-spec tire...for a full set, so $800. Then they said it would need a $150 alignment and after tax i was like $1100-$1200 something, I forget.

I told them i would only do it if they could keep the entire bill at $1000. They accepted and got the work done for $1000 :D
200 per tire? What’s the brand?

200 per tire? What’s the brand?

Goodyear Eagle F1's

goodyear.jpg

Attachments

• tires.pdf
    194.3 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
This is really good to keep in mind for my next services, but honestly I am not sure that I like having to haggle. Granted that it is not on the same level as buying a whole car but this haggling takes us back to the dealership model where some people will get better prices than others.

Reactions: JQS3
I had a tire issue--nail in sidewall. Called locally, and the price for the Conti silent tires with install were within $15 of the Tesla Service Center. I figured I may as well have Tesla do it. When I picked up the car cost was $0. They said they did it for free out of goodwill (and because of the issues I had a year ago when a tech backed my car in a wall and more recently when a tech accidentally punctured my front seat which they ended up replacing). That was a nice and appreciated gesture.

This is really good to keep in mind for my next services, but honestly I am not sure that I like having to haggle. Granted that it is not on the same level as buying a whole car but this haggling takes us back to the dealership model where some people will get better prices than others.

Your dime man. I think if anything else this isn't haggling but taking an opportunity of Tesla's rather generous policies to match prices, and that includes trade ins when you buy a new vehicle. They'll match CarMax or best offer.

Reactions: ChawTime and PA ZU
Lucky! Tesla wouldn't match any quotes for me, couldn't even get them to waive install which they charged at $55 for 1 tire that was punctured!

I guess they like to say they're in the "store model" but still function like dealerships where each SC is different.
did that $55 also include road hazard for future punctures? if so, then it was a good deal...

Does Tesla Road Force Balance? I've been doing that now for years with improved results. Local place now says that's the only balance they do, as it cut the number of people coming back with vibrations...
i can't confirm, but i just got new tires a week ago and i'm feeling some vibrations now.

here's where it's not good to have Tesla as the tire shop, they told me that in order to balance the front 2 tires and inspect it would cost $75 whereas this would be included by any other decent tire shop...

My Tesla center quoted me $400 per tire for the 20" Continentals. They said they don't price match. I told them to go ahead last week while getting the car serviced. but they were not in stock. Yesterday I get a flat and have the car towed. Still no tires in stock. I live 60 miles from the service center. BTW, the year service cost $625.

I asked my SC if they price matched and unfortunately they don't but they've comped me on enough things that I'll probably get new tires there. Its nice to throw them some business where they appreciate you.

My jeep dealer in Colorado was very good to me on my last modified jeep with warranty work. I always went there for oil changes and brought donuts. They replaced a full axle housing they really didn't have to as it was heavily modified.

Reactions: Ormond
I had a nail in one tire last week. Quoted me $50 to fix, or $400 if they needed to replace the tire. The SC got me in quickly and when I went to fix it is was free. I love the guys at the Dublin, CA SC.

BTW, at least there you know when your car is done when you get the "finished charging" message. They always put your car on the charger after they finish servicing it!

Reactions: Fiddler
There are no tires in stock at the dealership. The service center is going to loan me two wheels and tires and deliver the car to me at home. Next week whenever the new tires arrive, the mobile service van is going to install my old rims with new tires. I suppose I shouldn't complain, but I don't know why the tires are not readily available.

I live about 60 miles from the dealership.