Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Priorities: Refine Autopilot or Fix Everything Else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is this bring presented as one or the other? It should be a combination of both and I would be surprised if Tesla did otherwise.
Their track record so far is minor changes to AP (we can argue about improvement or not) and adding half-baked features that never get completed. with few to no fixes for previous issues.
So while I agree they SHOULD do both, I actually believe that they're most likely to do neither.

My guess is that the top priority is integration of the 2017 compute platform with a new AP sensor suite. All to be used in MS, MX, and M3. MS and MX should see the new AP hardware 6 to 9 months before M3 launch (so we can debug it). A nice interim step would be an updated nav package with tight integration with AP (we are building the future nav data base as we drive with AP). It all makes so much sense.

It makes me sad to say this...

Unfortunately, at this point I would not be able to recommend that any of my friends or family purchase a Tesla. We are three years into production, but Tesla still appears to be for beta testers only and not for those who want a finished, polished product. My business partner would never accept a navigation system that did not perform on par with her existing Lexus navigation system. My brother-in-law would not accept a Trip Planner that did not work well enough to rely on for determining when and where to charge. We live in the real world where we look for real solutions, not in a bubble where "just okay" is good enough.

Tesla lost me in a big way after Elon's idiotic and embarrassing "end to range anxiety" press conference. The last 12 months of software updates, with essentially no focus on polishing existing features, has left me disillusioned and questioning Tesla's focus and how it is being managed. The reality of Autopilot is that Tesla is catching up to existing auto makers, not blazing a new trail of its own. Self-parking, summoning, and auto-steering are all features that have been offered by other makers. The only feature Tesla has that others don't is automated lane changing. Other than that, BMW has already beaten Tesla to market with these features. Tesla has no first-mover advantage in anything anymore. I will note that BMW's software is NOT in beta and is release-level.

After two years I still love my car and how it drives, and service has been excellent, but in everything else my overall experience has been disappointing. Once you get beyond Tesla's electric drive train, you quickly realize that Tesla is far from a technological leader. In fact, it's quite a bit behind everyone else. BMW has already implemented gesture controls into its flagship vehicles, which is superior to a touch interface in terms of distractions. Tesla can't even give us a decent navigation system or provide a function as robust as EVTripplanner - a tool that was created by a student and is barely being maintained anymore. But even that is better to what Tesla came up with.

I have nobody to point to at Tesla other than Elon Musk for being ultimately responsible for the state of stagnation with the car's core software. Either Elon is spending too much time at SpaceX and not enough time at Tesla, or he is a terrible, awful manager who doesn't know how to properly delegate tasks and hold members of his team accountable for what they create. Given the horrible state of communications at Tesla for years despite multiple hires and executive turnover, the one common thread is Musk himself. There's nobody else visible enough at Tesla to hang this on but Musk.

The fact that Model X uses the same gimped navigation, trip planner, and media system as Model S should be alarming to the Tesla faithful. Even with its newest crown jewel that Tesla is taking extra time to perfect, nothing is happening on the software front to fix the core software and bring it up to par with the rest of the industry. Based upon this track record, I have dim hopes for Model 3. Tesla will most likely continue down this path and expect its Model 3 customers to cut it some slack, forgive the shortcomings of a new product, etc. I hope that's not the case, but if it is, Tesla and its shareholders are in for a major reality check.

It's my opinion that Tesla's Board of Directors needs to put Musk into more of an advisory/visionary capacity and should hand over the day-to-day functions of CEO to a more skilled and competent manager who can actually finish what he or she started.

Do I also need to bring up the Roadster 2.0 update, as in where is it? Maybe best not to go there.

Look at the garage auto open/close function as a prime and recent example of Tesla's failures. This feature was released but it doesn't work at all. Apparently nobody at Tesla actually tested the feature in any real world conditions before it was released. Who approved this feature being ready? Who tested it? NAMES! But we will never know. All I do know is that Tesla's software team is showing a propensity for incompetence. It's likely that the incompetence is coming from upper management, but ultimately it reflects back on the software team because they are going to be the ones blamed for the terrible state of software. This may offer one glimpse into why Tesla is losing talent to the likes of Apple and others.

About a year ago we were laughing at the horror that was Fisker's software interface, comparing it to the beautiful and functional Model S interface. Then we got version 7 which essentially "Fiskerized" a lot of what we thought was superior in version 6, and even lost some important informational feedback. Look no further than the speedo/instrument cluster to validate Tesla's software issues. Autopilot drivers, even though they may not be using Autopilot, are forced to watch a video game on their speedo instead of getting useful and valuable feedback as provided by the version 6 circular dial. Anyone with average intelligence would understand that the Autopilot interface is only useful when Autopilot is enabled, so use one mode without Autopilot and use another mode with Autopilot. Even those who are not paying for Autopilot are being forced to use the Autopilot interface - which is essentially useless for them.

I have tweeted my concerns to Elon Musk and encourage others to do the same. Unfortunately, short of a negative high profile media piece, I don't believe Tesla is going to change its focus. Has anyone noticed that Elon Musk no longer attends enthusiast gatherings? In 2013 we often saw him in front of enthusiastic throngs of owners and supporters, fielding their questions and offering his insights. The last time I remember seeing anything like this was at the last annual shareholders meeting. Tesla cannot even keep its own web site updated with regard to the executive management team, take a look:

Management | Tesla Motors

Only two people listed - JB and Elon. If you were an investor, wouldn't looking at this page scare the hell out of you? One does have to ask, on many levels, what on earth are Musk and Tesla thinking. Or are they?

Last edited:
What with many auto manufactors now offering Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Lane Keeping, Adaptive Braking and Forward Collision Warning with Braking,
Tesla really is in the hot seat to make our systems 99.99%
Also, don't get me started about our UI and it's various needs.

Recently, in this thread, Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S, a number of us emotionally debated what Tesla should be spending its time on for 7.2, now that 7.1 is out. In that thread, a number of us Classic MS drivers expressed disappointment at Tesla's seeming abandonment of refinements of half completed essential and nice-to-have features, like voice commands, the all-essential NAV, UI, Favorite voice call list, the internet radio interface, and abortions like auto-condition (or whatever its called). Some of you argued that auto-pilot is the future of the company, and Tesla should be spending al of its resources on perfecting that.

I argue that if the purpose of Tesla enhancements is to sell more cars, rather than to pump the stock price or create a revolution (debatable, I know), that Tesla should be focussing on optimizing the overall user experience with the car, and just hang in the hunt on auto pilot, since the best car companies are all doing it anyway, and this will not be a differentiator of Tesla from other cars a year from now (look at the auto shows and CES this year if you don't believe me). I believe that Tesla can make more hay and differentiate by optimizing its user experience, making it elegant and usable, turning the combination of the gorgeous 17 inch screen, voice command (which is where the entire world is going) and the steering wheel controls into the "Apple of cars", than by throwing all apparent programming resources at auto pilot, which an occasional sop to the rest of us like the garage self opener (which is great -- if I would upgrade from 6.2 -- which I won't because the UI on 7.0-7.1 sucks).

The electric drive train is a differentiator, sure, but I think Tesla needs more than that to sell a lot of cars, especially for as long as oil prices stay low, as we approach the mass market 3's.

What do you think Tesla should be doing with its programming dollars?

As an owner who's put on quite a few road trip miles on it I'd say this biggest thing Tesla has to work on is glitches. Once the glitches are reduced then the nav needs to be worked on.

Here is was priority list should be at least as I'm concerned.

The lack of Cell connectivity after pulling out from an underground parking lot is unacceptable.
The need to reboot either the IC or the CID a couple times a month is unacceptable. The CID is mostly the problematic one.
The NAV, and the vastly outdated maps is unacceptable.
The trip planner was badly broken in V6.2/V7.0. I haven't had a chance to test V7.1 so I can't say how it performs.
The traffice based routing was badly broken in V6.2/V7.0. I haven't had a chance to test V7.1.

I think Tesla needs to have one update where they don't worry about adding in new functionality, and they just concentrate on fixes with a few added enhancements to existing features. I do feel like Tesla is in the position of doing this now that AP is feature complete in the eyes of those who purchased the AP package.

The biggest problem is sorting out the disaster that is Nav + Trip planner + Traffic Rerouting + Supercharger Status. As it currently stands one has to turn off the beta trip planner, and to use something like Waze to route for traffic.

Last edited:
Just want to add that just the fact that you can post this about this car is amazing. NO other automobile manufacturer is doing OTA updates. Wicked cool. Can't wait for MS . . . 94 days.
You are correct, great point -- it's really cool that our cars can improve with online updates like a smart phone, which is why so many of us want to see our cars improve with such updates.

You are correct, great point -- it's really cool that our cars can improve with online updates like a smart phone, which is why so many of us want to see our cars improve with such updates.

The problem with that is it's not that simple. There is only so much one can update, and it often leads companies to selling hardware with beta versions of SW. Tesla has had Trip planner on Beta for three major releases AFAIK. (V6.2, V7.0, V7.1) because they had to focus on AP to deliver on what they promised people who purchased that package. That's a big part of why they didn't focus on anything else. It's also partly was some of the added functionality seems more gimmicky than useful. It's that way because the current sensor suite on the AP 1.0 doesn't support everything Tesla is trying to do with the SW. For example AutoPark relies on ultrasonic sensors so that's why it goes through a very specific sequence of events. It's why it looks like a beginner.

Software upgradability is a sword that cuts both ways. When one designs a UI they take into account not only the features available today, but the features that are coming tomorrow. So you give the plumbing for it, but this plumbing might take away things that people with a previous version loved. This happened with the center instrument cluster where the current design really looks like it's designed for AP 2.0. Where it has some functionality for AP 1.0, but looks downright silly for non-AP with the little toy car sitting there.

Tesla is also extremely reliant on third party solutions. They have a navicom solution for nav so aside from map updates we're not exactly sure what they can do to improve it. Or at least I don't have a clear understanding as to what's possible.

Then there is the problem with the outdated CID Tegra 4 solution. It's really too slow to offer people the kind of speed/functionality they want. It's my understanding that they're going to switch it to a NVidia TK1/TX1 solution, but I don't know when that's going to happen. If it does happen I hope they allow people to upgrade like they allowed people with 3G to upgrade to LTE.

I'm not mad at Tesla for the current state of things. The entire Automotive market is in a upheaval, and this is the first car that had such an extensive amount of stuff that could be updated.

Last edited:
Look at the garage auto open/close function as a prime and recent example of Tesla's failures. This feature was released but it doesn't work at all. Apparently nobody at Tesla actually tested the feature in any real world conditions before it was released. Who approved this feature being ready?

I agree with your points but I think this is a bit harsh. Believe it or not this feature works 100% on my car , which is hard to believe, given that the tesla engineering team built it.

I feel like the other car company's driving assistance/autopilot features are the equivalent level of Tesla's Nav/Trip Planner. Just there to check the box for "lane keep assist" or self parking, but otherwise kinda lame/useless. Tesla's implementations of autopilot is way better than the newest stuff I've tried from BMW/MB, etc.

That said, Tesla really needs to step up their game on Nav and Trip Planner (and other basic stuff like linking keyfob to driver profile, etc). Nearly 3 years ago when I got my Model S, I was expecting them to make significantly more progress with the software than what they have accomplished to date, because the software was so basic/sparse/devoid of features. It still feels pretty sparse -- and lots of features don't seem like they would be a lot of work, yet would greatly improve the ownership experience. Lots of bang for Tesla's buck to get the basics right.

I think AmpedRealtor nailed it too.

I would just like to add a couple of things:

I am not an automobile enthusiast. I am not a software/computer person who understands all the intricacies and capabilities. My last car was a 1995 Mustang GT convertible that I owned for almost 20 years before buying my Tesla. I have no understanding of a lot of the sexy, contemporary goodies like voice commands, UI (what is that?). Autopilot, automatic summoning, and other nifty features are lost on me. This does not mean that I think they should go into the scrap pile. I am sure that there are valid safety and convenience reasons why these "luxuries" (for lack of a better term) are being introduced. But I question why they are so important now. Moreover, I really do not know if any or all of these features are standard on all makes and models or only on a selected few.

I do not think that anyone knows just what the customer base will be when the Model 3 comes out. I submit that there will be a lot of unsophisticated, earnest people who want to own a Tesla who have been driving around in a 2005 Nissan or a 1999 Pontiac. They will want a car that works 100% of the time so they can commute to work each day, run errands and take an occasional road trip to visit friends and relatives. They want to drive electric!

Most of us on here represent a very tiny and isolated fraction of the automobile-buying public. I do not believe that for statistical purposes our composition is statistically accurate. Our population skews the sample.

Tesla needs to address the chronic issues that have been problematic from day one in order to sell a car that anyone--anyone--can drive and enjoy with minimal issues. Tesla needs to walk before it runs.

It's my opinion that Tesla's Board of Directors needs to put Musk into more of an advisory/visionary capacity and should hand over the day-to-day functions of CEO to a more skilled and competent manager who can actually finish what he or she started.

We have talked about this in other threads and as you know I agree with this sentiment 100%. I realize he's the face of the company, that doesn't necessarily have to change, but Tesla needs a "Tim Cook" at this point...

As to the rest of your post, I see at someone who sees "Tesla" in the glass half empty perspective, which is quite reasonable given the current state of affairs.

I still see it from a glass half full perspective so I wouldn't take quite the negative viewpoint to the issues you've brought up, not to say that I disagree. Hopefully that makes sense...

I still have faith that Tesla will get things smoothed out and I don't have the issues that some do with v7/7.1, NAV, auto open\close garage door (works really quite well for me :p), which makes it easier for Tesla to make me happy... :)

Jeff

We have talked about this in other threads and as you know I agree with this sentiment 100%. I realize he's the face of the company, that doesn't necessarily have to change, but Tesla needs a "Tim Cook" at this point...

As to the rest of your post, I see at someone who sees "Tesla" in the glass half empty perspective, which is quite reasonable given the current state of affairs.

I still see it from a glass half full perspective so I wouldn't take quite the negative viewpoint to the issues you've brought up, not to say that I disagree. Hopefully that makes sense...

I still have faith that Tesla will get things smoothed out and I don't have the issues that some do with v7/7.1, NAV, auto open\close garage door (works really quite well for me :p), which makes it easier for Tesla to make me happy... :)

Jeff

I'm drifting more and more to AR's position and level of frustration. I had thought, wrongly, that Elon said 7.1 was about the UI which I took to mean this update would go a long way towards fixing the half finished features. Add to that my growing frustration with the 90D displayed range issue and I really wonder what's going over there. One of my best friends put down a deposit last year using my referral code for a fully loaded P90DL and after careful thought I recommended that he cancel until many of these long standing issues are resolved. As great a car as this is I just don't feel like defending Tesla to my close friends and family, not yet anyway. That is so sad.

Fix everything else. Especially the horrible 7.x interface, which is unsafe in many situations. Not being able to read the information for the sake of "style" (and a horrible style at that) is just plain unacceptable.