TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Priority Parking at Whole Foods

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by electracity, Mar 8, 2017.

1. electracity

electracity Active Member

The EV charging stations at the Whole Foods I frequent is nothing more than parking spaces for the model S and X. Anyone else notice this issue?

I have literally never seen a Tesla owner even pretend to be charging by plugging the car in. I wonder how this plays out as EVs become more popular.

I did see my first model X in the real world in one of these spaces, which was nice. So I suppose there is some upside.

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

That's sad. It just increases animosity towards EV owners by those who are so inclined.

• Like x 2
  3. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

That's the story st the Whole Foods near my house.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Which Whole Foods location are you referring to?

The San Mateo CA Supercharger is very near a Whole Foods. It is extremely busy, but all the cars I have seen charging there have been plugged in.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

I haven't heard of any public wireless charging; so I assume if they are charging they are plugged in. :)

Were you trying to say that you haven't seen anybody just parking in the charging spot?

6. DriverOne

DriverOne Supporting Member

That's pretty shitty to park in an EV space when not needing a charge. There are Leafs and the like with short ranges that need to charge (not to mention out of town Teslas).

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I was referencing the statement in the OP, quote: "I have literally never seen a Tesla owner even pretend to be charging by plugging the car in."

8. electracity

I took a photo of this model X as he was the one closest to charging. Note the cable creeping close to the car.

A1 - 1.jpg

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

Someone needs to make a sequel to this:

• Funny x 3
  10. electracity

True. What would they say if a charger they needed was iced? What they are doing is exactly the same.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  11. Haxster

Haxster Member

That location is a little different. For the several times that I've been there, an attendant plugs me in and asks me how long I'll be there. The last time he asked for my key fob (to move the car if I stayed too long?). I declined his request.

12. Haxster

Haxster Member

To my thinking, this practice is a close cousin to illegally parking in a disabled persons space.

13. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Yep, like "borrowing" a friend's or relative's car or placard so one can park in a space designated for the disabled, even though no one currently riding in the vehicle needs such assistance.

• Like x 1
  14. HebrHmr

HebrHmr Member

It would be easy to just add hybrid or EV parking spots in addition to a couple of chargers. We have these chargerless spots on post.

• Like x 1
  15. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

No reason to give those cars priority parking. They need charging spots, not priority parking spots. It's done so the building gets LEED points, which I think is a big mistake. No wonder some people think EV drivers feel entitled.

Being "ICEd" by an EV is even worse than being ICEd by an ICE, because the driver should know better. Is this a byproduct of a Teslas being bought for autopilot rather than because its an EV, and the driver isn't concerned with EV etiquette?

• Like x 4
  16. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

The car I see most frequently at the Whole Foods near me is an early S, no radar box or camera. So AP isn't the justification. I believe the word is entitled. And wary of door dings (but may eventually get keyed).

17. disagree

disagree hos epi to polu

If it is, at least that person will be disappointed. :eek::D:(

18. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

I avoid parking in the EV spaces at the WF 5 minutes from my house for this very reason... no need to charge.

I've seen some other EV's (of several makes) parked there not charging... but often several are.

19. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

At Torrance CA WF I see just about every EV at charging spots but Teslas.

What I find annoying is EREV/Rex there when some poor bastard in a LEAF or Fiat 500e is desperately looking at the charger.

20. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

152 miles r/t to my nearest Whole Foods with no Superchargers anywhere around. I always plug in my MS60D and shop. I promise, if there were ANY car there parked such that I couldn't charge, I'd go looking for them!

• Like x 3