Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "proactive service": instrument cluster replacement before a problem arose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

Now this is "service"! Three days ago I got an email stating, in part: "Our engineering department is being proactive regarding certain vehicles and their instrument clusters. As part of providing peace of mind and a great ownership experience, Tesla vehicles are equipped with telematics systems to provide remote diagnostics support. We have been notified by our engineers of a potential internal communications problem with your vehicle that could result in an inability to start your vehicle. You may or may not have noticed the symptom as the vehicle could have been charging at the time of the potential communication error."

I had not been having any problems with my S85 and the car had never displayed any kind of error message. I have had it 5 months and it has nearly 7K miles on it. I took my car in to my local Service Center in Burlingame SC and they had it for about 4 hours, apparently they replaced the drivers display and no doubt some associated electronics.

Anyone else had Tesla notify them about a "potential internal communications problem with your vehicle that could result in an inability to start your vehicle
" and had the drivers display module replaced?

Last edited:
Can you post your VIN? A small batch of VINs are affected and are getting their panel replaced according to forum post at teslamotors.

My VIN is 27180. Can you post a link to the topic you are referring to at Forums

I scanned the first 8 pages of topics in the Tesla Motors forum and ran a Google search of that forum but can't find it. I don't read that forum because the interface is so poor compared to the Tesla Motors Club forum.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Interesting that the Instrument Cluster can cause the car to become inoperative. Would love to hear more details on this.

Not sure if it's the same thing, but I had a weird experience about 6 months ago. I was driving at night and my 17" froze up, so I initiated a re-boot. What happened was that the 17" went dark, but never came back. Then the instrument cluster spontaneously went dark too. The car ran fine and thankfully the headlights stayed on, but the cabin was in complete darkness for about 15 minutes. Eventually the instrument cluster re-booted on it's own and came back up, followed by the 17". Only ever happened once.

Now this is "service"! Three days ago I got an email stating, in part: "Our engineering department is being proactive regarding certain vehicles and their instrument clusters. As part of providing peace of mind and a great ownership experience, Tesla vehicles are equipped with telematics systems to provide remote diagnostics support. We have been notified by our engineers of a potential internal communications problem with your vehicle that could result in an inability to start your vehicle. You may or may not have noticed the symptom as the vehicle could have been charging at the time of the potential communication error."

Anyone else had Tesla notify them about a "potential internal communications problem with your vehicle that could result in an inability to start your vehicle
" and had the drivers display module replaced?

S 85 Silver & Grey w/Tech, coils, hi-fi sound, parking sensors, fog lamps, HPWC, lacewood, delivered 12/21/13

I picked up my car at the factory on 2/21 so our cars were probably in the same batch. Had my car in for tire rotation last weekend and they notified me of this but hadn't yet received the replacement, the part came in this week and I'm going in tomorrow for this to be done (live not too far from the SC here).

I got the call today. Not sure why they would wait so long to call about replacing the instrument cluster given these posts from early May. I still don't know what the issues are with this but will take it in next week. I'm a little creeped out about this - I would like more information.

The only weird behaviors with this car so far are that the charge port will (rarely) open after closing it and the car will spontaneously go into Park when I'm in Reverse - this one is really freaky and the first time it happened I thought I'd hit something. (I just found the thread on this one - supposed safety feature but I sure hope they get rid of this!) These might be completely unrelated to the instrument cluster problem.

It's probably not clear here but I absolutely love this car - never was a "car" person until the MS!

The only weird behaviors with this car so far are that the charge port will (rarely) open after closing it and the car will spontaneously go into Park when I'm in Reverse

The first seems to be a fairly common complaint (I have it too), and the second is supposedly related to lifting your butt off the seat for example, when you twist around to look over your shoulder backing up. It's not supposed to happen as long as the seat belt is buckled.

The first seems to be a fairly common complaint (I have it too), and the second is supposedly related to lifting your butt off the seat for example, when you twist around to look over your shoulder backing up. It's not supposed to happen as long as the seat belt is buckled.

Ya, well, this backup 'feature' isn't a feature for me because I'm short (5'4") and I ALWAYS turn to look where I'm going when backing up so my butt is way off the seat! - and I prefer the seat belt off to do it. Can't get used to that camera so don't and probably won't ever use it. The field of view just isn't there as far as I'm concerned. Until I can turn this off, if ever, I will make a point to put the seat belt on - groan.

If I find out any more details on this instrument cluster replacement I will post them - and I plan to ask lots of questions ...

- - - Updated - - -

I also have had that happen very infrequently. It's such a small percentage out of the number of times I have closed the charge port door that I haven't not contacted Tesla about it.

same here. very rare. but I will ask about it when I go in for the IC replacement.