Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Product Announcement at noon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be an assumption that the "90 is 100", now or in the future. That is not something "we know".
There is no evidence of that, or any indication, or any implication.

Elon did say that packs will be upgradeable from the 85s to future larger packs. So I'm assuming that it will be possible to go to a 100 pack. But, it may not be possible to convert a P85DL to a true P100DL. It's possible that there were upgrades in the motors/inverters/motor wiring at some point in the P85D to P90D transition that allow P90DLs to handle the extra P100DL current, above what the P85D / P85DL systems can handle.

No. We KNEW the new cells weren't going to be a thing until the Gigafactory was more built out. We've known this for awhile.
The chemistry has nothing to do with the change in format. The format really only defines the amount of active material you can carry per cell. Not how potent the active material actually is.

My estimates for the Model 3 pack capacity was based on the 100 KWh pack only being due to an improved chemistry. Now, not only may we need to assume a lower energy density for the cells, but they've also managed to squeeze out 10% improvement on the pack architecture. I wasn't expecting that kind of improvement at all. And it *really* makes it hard to make a good estimate. The question is if the improvements are transferable to the Model 3, or whether it's not workable with the 21-70s. Someone needs to dismantle a 100 kWh pack soon.

Reactions: Cloxxki
P100D is up! Along with the WHITE seats from the X!

Thanks Erik

Capture.JPG

So I'm assuming that it will be possible to go to a 100 pack. But, it may not be possible to convert a P85DL to a true P100DL. It's possible that there were upgrades in the motors/inverters/motor wiring at some point in the P85D to P90D transition that allow P90DLs to handle the extra P100DL current, above what the P85D / P85DL systems can handle.

IIRC part of P90D -> P90DL retrofit announced last summer was an inconel contactor and I would assume associated wiring to handle the extra current.

While the P100D Ludicrous is obviously an expensive vehicle, we want to emphasize that every sale helps pay for the smaller and much more affordable Tesla Model 3 that is in development. Without customers willing to buy the expensive Model S and X, we would be unable to fund the smaller, more affordable Model 3 development.
I sort of understand the motivation to write this but it seems unnecessary. Cars this fast are expensive. No apology required.

So the 100 kWh pack is only available in ludicrous?

It probably would be a slow-roll of all 90 variations up to 100 eventually. Much like the 70s turned to 75s. Get the higher-margin P100DL out and about first then slide up the 90s to 100, then go with 60, 75, 100 variations, most likely. 100 for "most power, most range" and then the others for downmarket sizing and pricing. You can go cross country in a 60 using SuperChargers, though. But 100 range in northern climates (Norway, Canada, Iceland) is welcome when range is lost to the cold.