Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Product Announcement at noon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This article says battery costs $190/kWh
Electric-car battery costs: Tesla $190 per kwh for pack, GM $145 for cells

So a 100 battery costs $19k

So, to upgrade from a 90D to a 100D you have to pay the whole cost of the new battery, and get -$1000 credit (recycling cost!) for your old battery? Seems like a terrible deal.

If any of you are doing this upgrade. I'll pay you $2000 to "recycle" your old 90kwh battery ;-)

Reactions: alseTrick
I would be interested in an upgraded remanufactured or refurbished pack for a reasonable price and willing to part with current pack. Why recycle it when it's a perfectly good battery for another Tesla?

Unfortunately this won't happen. A few folks tried this when the 90 came out. Tesla will not let you keep the old pack. And further they won't install the old pack in another car. There's some debate as to why. The cynical view is that they'd rather sell new packs than install used ones. The non-cynical view is that putting old 90/85 packs in 60s/70s creates some unexpected vehicle configurations that create software problems.

It's the Mac/PC issue. Windows crashes a lot more than MacOS - not because it's buggier software, but because there are infinite combinations of hardware to support.

Take your choice as to what to believe.

This will be the new tech in the M3 battery? So how many miles will they pack into that form factor?

This may be the new architecture but definitely not the new cell chemistry. Expect ~30% greater battery size once new cells are able to be used. It looks like ~130D may be upper limit for a while after GF gets cells produced. This could hit the 400miles/charge

we knew already that 60 is 75. now we know that 90 is 100
It would be an assumption that the "90 is 100", now or in the future. That is not something "we know".
Any indication if they will offer the upgrade to p85d ludicrous owners?
There is no evidence of that, or any indication, or any implication.

I would be interested in an upgraded remanufactured or refurbished pack for a reasonable price and willing to part with current pack. Why recycle it when it's a perfectly good battery for another Tesla?

Surely by "recycle" they just mean put it into another Model S as a refurb/warranty replacement. Seems silly to dismantle and fully recycle a working pack.

I doubt they'll have enough packs left over from upgrades to sell them as upgrades for lower kWh cars.

2.8 to 60 is already too fast. This is some lame news for 98% of us. But predictable.

An electric vehicle with 315 miles of range and 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds is more nails ready for the soon-to-be coffin of ICE vehicles. That's not lame news to 98% of us. It's great news for all of us.

But adding AP2.0 would have been even better.

Any details HOW the 100 figure is achieved? Cramming more cells in? Making 18700 cells rather than 18650? Internals?

I'm baffled the existing 90's aren't 100 in disguize. Could they have been 98's or something, just a bit of extra slack to keep the battery healthier being used as 90 then 98?

The high upgrade price is a slap in the face. Battery costs are only a part of the car cost, but to get 11% more range, you get to pay $10k extra on the car? Expensive mileage...

This could be a ploy to make Model 3 seem less pathetic if it only comes with a tiny battery. Or a way to drive stock down and buy back on the cheap, or just call options long before a real big news release. hmmm...