Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Product Announcement at noon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else even curious about the 315 mile range of the P100DL??? The previous P90DL was 266 miles wasnt it? That is a 18% gain of range for a 11% gain of battery. I wonder if the new batteries used in the 100 pack are lighter.

Reactions: Alketi
Looks like ventilated seats are in... ONLY on Black or Tan though & Performance cars.

Thanks Erik

Capture.JPG

The discussion over at Elektrek mentions an interesting point: the P100D is rated 3.15 miles/kWh by EPA, compared to the P90D rated at 3 miles/kWh.

Sounds like the Tesla folks are taking the criticism of model labels not reflecting usable battery capacity to heart.

The extra cost is to help Tesla defray legal fees.

The extra cost is because they can get it. They're doing what every company does. They're putting out the new product at a higher price for the early adopters who can &will pay for it. As they ramp up the new packs they will be introduced to the lower tier cars and/or prices will come down. It helps them recover development costs more quickly. The later buyers of the lower priced vehicles also benefit.

Clearly they're not ramped up on the new pack design, and so producing at a lower volume & higher price lets them work out the bugs before going main stream.,

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Guys, can everyone, please, please, PLEASE use the proper abbreviation for units. kilowatt-hour is abbreviated kWh. These are standard, SI units. KWH is wrong. KwH is unbelievably wrong. kWh. That is the unit. There is no other abbreviation.
Correct, because it's spelled kelo-Winkler-halves. Winkler is a proper noun.

To restate... just remember what Watt is someone's name, but kilo and hour are not, hence kWh.

This article says battery costs $190/kWh
Electric-car battery costs: Tesla $190 per kwh for pack, GM $145 for cells

So a 100 battery costs $19k

So, to upgrade from a 90D to a 100D you have to pay the whole cost of the new battery, and get -$1000 credit (recycling cost!) for your old battery? Seems like a terrible deal.

If any of you are doing this upgrade. I'll pay you $2000 to "recycle" your old 90kwh battery ;-)

Exactly, if you assume the $3k "range upgrade" for the 85 to 90 holds. Then a 30kw upgrade would be $18k for a S60 owner and $9k for a S75 owner. I'm going to charge a very fair, $12k for my 90kw pack so that a S60 owner can drive away with a S90 (performance increase included here mind you). Then I'm going to pay Tesla $21k for the 100kw battery ($20k battery + $1000 core fee), and walk away with a $9k upgrade for an extra 100kw. If anything, I'm getting the raw deal here, but hey, I'm doing it for the good of some S60 owner.

Exactly, if you assume the $3k "range upgrade" for the 85 to 90 holds. Then a 30kw upgrade would be $18k for a S60 owner and $9k for a S75 owner. I'm going to charge a very fair, $12k for my 90kw pack so that a S60 owner can drive away with a S90 (performance increase included here mind you). Then I'm going to pay Tesla $21k for the 100kw battery ($20k battery + $1000 core fee), and walk away with a $9k upgrade for an extra 100kw. If anything, I'm getting the raw deal here, but hey, I'm doing it for the good of some S60 owner.

Good luck with that. If it works out, let me know. I'd be more than happy to sell my 85 pack to help offset the costs of a P100DL pack. Although 0-60 in 2.5 is getting a little bit stupid. I can still scare people with my comparatively tame insane mode P85D.

I'm not prepared to be that cynical. I think the extra cost is to account for new hardware required for AP2.0.

Only time will tell who is right.

??? It's not cynical. It's how the free market works. Tesla may have a secondary objective but it's not a charity. It has to become profitable at some point or it won't exist. You don't do that by selling below market.

But maybe AP now includes new hardware to account for the price increase? I doubt we'll see an AP2.0 announcement and this seems the perfect time to make the addition.

Holy crap, that is a good catch! Here's what's even more interesting - if I view my pending Model S order and choose 'Edit Design', the Autopilot option is still only $2,500.

My order is scheduled to go into production on August 27th. I'm somewhat tempted to cancel and re-order. Yes, that would mean paying more for autopilot. But I don't want them clearing out the old hardware and including it in my build.

Regardless of all that, none of it suggests Tesla is "behind" on the new cell chemistry, since the new chemistry wasn't going to be mass produced until the Gigafactory was already up and running, which we've already known for awhile now.
There's no planned chemistry improvement at Gigafactory start up that I know about. Where do you have that from?

Tesla will start production of 21-70s at the Gigafactory soon, but they've never said this would be anything other than their current chemistry. Now, this chemistry is 10% less energy dense than was expecting.

OK 16.7% change for 11% more battery capacity. I really wonder where the 5.7% more efficiency came from because that is quite huge.
That would mean the 100D would have an EPA range of about 340 miles.

More cells in parallel means lower resistance. Not using thin aluminum bond wire fusible links means lower resistance. Lower resistance means increased efficiency. This is the new Model 3 pack architecture "prototype" pack but the gigafactory cells are made for cooling on one end and both pos neg on the other