Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla production line was ‘sabotaged’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It must be a nightmare there. In the quest for 2,500/week they are running 7 days a week with multiple shifts and now using a outside tent for extra production capability. Elon projects 10,000/week on some point. He needs to find some magic pixy dust to get that to happen. All this extra labour and overtime pay must be killing any gross margin on the model 3.

If it required an extra 100 hours of labor per car, and if the people were paid $20 an hour, that would only change GM by 4% on 3 LR PUP.

However, based on Elon's comment of about 50 stations in GA, that would imply 2 hours of labor per station...

So I think even with extra labor, they will be fine.

I interpreted that line of thinking based on the fact this employee was sending Tesla info to a third, unknown party (who could be any of the above - implied, not stated).

Good point. I missed that but it makes sense when you point it out. That data has value in the wrong hands -- which is probably why Elon went to the shorts and big oil -- so I'll dial down my "Elon is paranoid" assessment given this line of reasoning.

It must be a nightmare there. In the quest for 2,500/week they are running 7 days a week with multiple shifts and now using a outside tent for extra production capability. Elon projects 10,000/week on some point. He needs to find some magic pixy dust to get that to happen. All this extra labour and overtime pay must be killing any gross margin on the model 3.
I see you have a lot of thumbs down, but no responses to actually dispute your points. Your points are quite valid

I see you have a lot of thumbs down, but no responses to actually dispute your points. Your points are quite valid

Maybe the thumbs down are because it comes across as a justification for vandalism?

I've been hired and worked to death. It's actually quite common in my field and there's nothing legally that can be done about it since the "Employment Standards Act" exempts us from standards that prohibits such conduct:

It's not uncommon to have articled students who practically live at the firm, trying to impress with excessive billable hours and little sleep, in the hopes they get kept on.

When I was told as a junior lawyer that not only Saturday is a working day, but I should also come in Sundays (without extra pay even) I didn't vandalise the firm. I handed in my resignation. It was the best move I made.

It's still a free society down there -- for the time being at least. Workers are not required to put up with anything. It's not Foxconn.

I'm not justifying Tesla's treatment of employees - since I know nothing about it. I do know that I had a wife, young child, and a mortgage, but I still quit -- and in worse economic times than today -- and I didn't blame the firm (well back then I guess I did) but we all control our own destiny.

Last edited:
@adaptabl , it's kind of you to come to the defense of @Barklikeadog by clicking disagree on my post and like on his, but how you reconcile their statement:
I see you have a lot of thumbs down, but no responses to actually dispute your points.
against the fact that the very first post (#81) after yours (#80) was indeed a response disputing your points?

And that your $20 a hour post (#82) was also disputed (#83) (though without disagrees)?

Maybe the thumbs down are because it comes across as a justification for vandalism?

I've been hired and worked to death. It's actually quite common in my field and there's nothing legally that can be done about it since the "Employment Standards Act" exempts us from standards that prohibits such conduct:

It's not uncommon to have articled students who practically live at the firm, trying to impress with excessive billable hours and little sleep, in the hopes they get kept on.

When I was told as a junior lawyer that not only Saturday is a working day, but I should also come in Sundays (without extra pay even) I didn't vandalise the firm. I handed in my resignation. It was the best move I made.

It's still a free society down there -- for the time being at least. Workers are not required to put up with anything. It's not Foxconn.

There is never justification for vandalism. Saying that is reading things that are not there.

Those who lead, stay and change the culture that would accept poor working conditions and a lack of respect.

There is never justification for vandalism. Saying that is reading things that are not there.

It comes across that way to me, even if that was not the intent, which I accept. So I assume it came across that way to others who gave the "Disagrees" which was the only point I was trying to make. I never left a "Disagree" since I find that juvenile Facebook nonsense. I state my disagreements in writing.

Those who lead, stay and change the culture that would accept poor working conditions and a lack of respect.

That's such nonsense. We have to each choose our battles and the hill we want to die on. We can't take up every cause. I sure wasn't about to try to change our Employment Standard Act by staying at that law firm and being worked to death. I only get one life to lead and I want to be happy when I come home from work to my family -- not in a bad mood -- or being on some martyr mission. I have causes I take up -- that work with me and my life -- like Doctors without Borders. That changes lives. My occupation does not also need to be my cause especially since staying and accepting "poor working conditions and a lack of respect" doesn't necessarily change the culture -- but it does set you up for a miserable life. If everyone quit like me, the culture would sure change fast, but everyone has to make their own decisions based on what is right for them.

There's no doubt in my mind that the authorities were called. I expect that the first thing they did upon discovery was alert the authorities but if they alerted their lawyers first I expect that they were told that Tesla's insurance policy requires a police report to be filed in order for there to be vandalism and theft coverage (as all insurance policies do).

Reactions: neroden

I'll be the first to dispute this. I was just at the factory a month ago. They flat-out are not running 7 days/week and multiple shifts. They are running 5 days/week with a single shift. Unless something has changed in the last month, I literally saw it myself.

There's no doubt in my mind that the authorities were called. I expect that the first thing they did upon discovery was alert the authorities but if they alerted their lawyers first I expect that they were told that Tesla's insurance policy requires a police report to be filed in order for there to be vandalism and theft coverage (as all insurance policies do).

Do we have any source besides Elon that the authorities were contacted and a investigation has started?

I'll be the first to dispute this. I was just at the factory a month ago. They flat-out are not running 7 days/week and multiple shifts. They are running 5 days/week with a single shift. Unless something has changed in the last month, I literally saw it myself.

Actually you are the first one to offer any sort of actual response to the points he was making. Thumbs up. Thanks for the information.

Reactions: ahkahn
Ah I must have missed the posts about how they are going to produce 10,000 per week. Please give me a link

Why should I? Elon is planning on hitting 10ktwk in the future. However, your original goal post was:

but no responses to actually dispute your points.

While quoting
...All this extra labour and overtime pay must be killing any gross margin on the model 3.
Yet the very next post was...

If it required an extra 100 hours of labor per car, and if the people were paid $20 an hour, that would only change GM by 4% on 3 LR PUP.

However, based on Elon's comment of about 50 stations in GA, that would imply 2 hours of labor per station...

So I think even with extra labor, they will be fine.

Public sector labor unions are the worst... They negotiate with people (county commissioners for example) who have no actual vested interest in the finances or how the taxpayer is going to cover their lavish salaries and benefits. While CA is doing well overall, there is a serious issue with the mounting pension debt that is directly attributable to the allowance of public sector labor unions.

Jeff

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

This is the one drives me the most nuts. At least private sector unions are only capable of destroying a company. The public sector unions can destroy a wide swath of the economy. And yes.. the issue is that the PS unions form a large enough voting block that no politician willing to stand up to them can get elected. And so they receive gold plated benefits, way above what industry can provide to the average taxpayer - yet all paid for by industry and the average taxpayer.

It's been a huge problem up here in Ontario for the last 15 years. It got so bad that at one point the government was secretly covering millions of dollars in union negotiating expenses, when a teacher's strike ran long. WTF?!! I'm cautiously hopeful that our new government will take this on, but we will see.