TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla production update on delayed options (40kWh, 60kWh, standard suspension, red)

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by grisnjam, Dec 3, 2012.

  1. grisnjam

    grisnjam P6316

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    247
    Location:
    Austin, Texas
    Just got this email:

    Screen shot 2012-12-03 at 3.37.01 PM.png

    FYI.
     
  2. ckessel

    ckessel Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2011
    Messages:
    4,264
    Very nice, clear, addresses the communication issues we've all talked about. I'll give it a +1.
     
  3. SteveH

    SteveH Member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2012
    Messages:
    274
    Location:
    Denton, Texas
    Got it too. Made me sad. Wish they would let us change our options to keep from falling behind in line, but I'm far enough back switching to 85kWh might not get me the car faster anyway.

    Just to be clear, sad but understanding that 60kWh won't be in production this year. Very happy that TM communicated this clearly as soon as it was known.
     
  4. Tommy

    Tommy Member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2010
    Messages:
    880
    Location:
    The great OC
    Fortunately, not the usual "Dear John" letter.:wink:
     
  5. gaswalla

    gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2012
    Messages:
    1,087
    Location:
    San Diego
    I haven't received my email.. I wonder if that is good news?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Man, I gotta figure out how to edit my posts.... I'm 4201 with 85, active air,
     
  6. SteveH

    SteveH Member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2012
    Messages:
    274
    Location:
    Denton, Texas
    The e-mail only went out to people with 40s, 60s, standard suspension, or red paint.
     
  7. gaswalla

    gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2012
    Messages:
    1,087
    Location:
    San Diego
    thank you for the quick clairification
     
  8. contaygious

    contaygious Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2012
    Messages:
    988
    Location:
    Marina, San Francisco
    Yay for clairfy. Also I'm told now that perf cars are no longer delayed so looking forward to a new batch :)
     
  9. kevincwelch

    kevincwelch Active Member

    Joined:
    May 13, 2012
    Messages:
    2,005
    Location:
    Chicagoland
    40 kWh in March. Ouch. :(

    I wonder if this changes any considerations of people yet to finalize the 40 kWh models.

    Sent via Tapatalk.
     
  10. rdunniii

    rdunniii Member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    25
    Location:
    San Jose CA
    Yes. I will probably cancel now. I'm not going to commit to a 40Kw car without the opportunity to drive one and seeing as how they are telling me to commit before 31 Dec, before I can drive one or know that EPA stuff or...
     
  11. ckessel

    ckessel Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2011
    Messages:
    4,264
    Yea, that really bugs me. As an 85, I'm not affected, but it seems pretty lame to ask folks to make the $5k non-refundable without offering test drives or releasing performance information.
     
  12. Robert.Boston

    Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2011
    Messages:
    7,842
    Location:
    Portland, Maine, USA
    No need to cancel; just wait for the information you need to decide.
     
  13. zdre

    zdre 40kWh Model S P6415

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2010
    Messages:
    259
    Location:
    St. Louis
    I am not happy about this either. One of the reasons that I have not finalized yet is because the EPA estimates are not available for 40 kWh. Tesla needs to release the specs before the price increase goes into effect.
     
  14. brianman

    brianman Burrito Founder

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2011
    Messages:
    15,232
    Just another option to consider...
    If your number is coming up soon, consider finding a buyer for a Performance model at $150K or so and make a quick buck. Then put down your reservation again so you have more time. ;)
     
  15. vfx

    vfx Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2006
    Messages:
    14,792
    Location:
    CA CA
    Maybe Tesla could send a firmware upgrade to all the dealer's cars across the country. A Tesla employee could program set the car it "simulated 60" or "faux 40" speeds. customers could get an idea anyway.
     
  16. gregincal

    gregincal Active Member

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2012
    Messages:
    2,135
    Location:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Note that they aren't planning to even provide 40 or 60 kWh test drives until at least a couple months after they're shipping them. So if you want a test drive before finalizing, you should cancel and rereserve. This is from the Tesla Bulletin Board:

    Our plan for at least the next six months is to continue offering test drives in only 85 kWh versions of Model S. The reasoning behind this is that we are able to offer many more test drives each day with the range of an 85 kWh battery than with 40 or 60 kWh versions.
     
  17. walla2

    walla2 Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2012
    Messages:
    383
  18. Robert.Boston

    Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2011
    Messages:
    7,842
    Location:
    Portland, Maine, USA
    Well, I see your coffee cup....
     
  19. strider

    strider Active Member

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2010
    Messages:
    2,888
    Location:
    NE Oklahoma
    That's what I would do. Cancel your current reservation and then reserve again on like 12/30 with the hope that you can test drive a 40 before you are asked to configure.
     
  20. kevincwelch

    kevincwelch Active Member

    Joined:
    May 13, 2012
    Messages:
    2,005
    Location:
    Chicagoland
    Understandable.

    Option would be to cancel and reserve on 12/31 or something like that to get back in the queue.

    But consider this: are you in the market for an 85 kWh or a 60 kWh version. If no, then how close to the stated range/acceleration of the 40 MS would it have to be before you would consider not getting it at all? 10% 25%

    I have a feeling the 40 MS is going to drive and feel just like the others with the exception of acceleration. You knew that to be the case.
     

Share This Page