Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla Prohibit Destination Chargers from Being Used by Non-Customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sdorn

Director of Awesome
Supporting Member
Oct 9, 2016
Georgia
In the past I have asked hotels with Tesla destination chargers whether I can use the charger even if I am not staying at the hotel, and have not had any issues before. One asked for a $10 fee, but I thought that was reasonable.

However, I just got a response back from a bed & breakfast that told me Tesla prohibits them from allowing anyone that is not a guest of the hotel from using the Tesla destination charger. Has anyone else heard this before? Does anyone have a copy of the terms and conditions under which venues must agree to operate in order to comply with the Tesla destination charger program?

This isn't going to be a big deal for me, as I have alternative charging options on this particular trip, but it would have been convenient as this location had an 80 amp circuit which would have allowed me to recoup a significant charge while having dinner near the venue.

However, I just got a response back from a bed & breakfast that told me Tesla prohibits them from allowing anyone that is not a guest of the hotel from using the Tesla destination charger. .
I think that you ran into a clueless clerk that came up with that nonsense. if they wanted to they could have easily let you use the charger.
now they blew off a potential customer.
a little good will goes a long way

I think that you ran into a clueless clerk that came up with that nonsense. if they wanted to they could have easily let you use the charger.
now they blew off a potential customer.
a little good will goes a long way

My thought was that it was probably a way to blow me off, but I believe the response came from the owner of the bed & breakfast. It is a small place in a small mountain town in north Georgia.

His actual response was, "Unfortunately I'm not able to provide charging for non-guests as it's not permitted in my agreement with Tesla's destination charging program."

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
It's up to the owner. The listings on the Tesla website will say "for patrons only" if that's the case. Some are, and some aren't.

Yes, many of them say that. I've generally not had an issue getting permission to use even those venues when not staying at the hotel, sometimes subject to paying a fee. I'm not bothered by them telling me no. That is their option. I just found it interesting that they claimed Tesla prohibits them from letting non-customers use the charger. That seems like an odd thing for Tesla to prohibit, especially given that only Tesla vehicles can use those chargers in any event.

His actual response was, "Unfortunately I'm not able to provide charging for non-guests as it's not permitted in my agreement with Tesla's destination charging program."

Simply not true, it's up to each individual owner/franchise.

The website will typically tell you whether its public or not, but I have found it to be inaccurate at times. I've noticed that some will really try to price gouge you (one company tried to charges us $50 to use their destination charger), and some just want you to park your Tesla in their lot.

Could also be that they are slightly confused. I have not seen the agreement (so I'm guessing here), but I believe Tesla-provided destination chargers are there for Tesla cars (vs non-Tesla via adapters). So they may be confusing guest / patron with the make of car. At least, you could try that as an explanation and see if they'll let you charge.

As a multiple-decades long B&B owner/operator, it distresses me to read of the OP's run-in with such a patently pants-on-fire passing of the buck. I wish there were a way, but I cannot come up with a reasonable one, of challenging someone to produce such a (non-existent) contract.

I think that about the best you could do is "I believe that you are mistaken about the destination charging program rules, but thank you for installing HPWCs and thank you for your time."

I've heard often enough that I believe that it is up to the site owner whether to allow non-customers to charge, but I don't know. I do believe that this guy was deflecting responsibility for his own decision.

But I find nothing wrong with limiting the service to your actual customers. Hotels don't let non-customers come to their hotel and drain their ice machines or swim in their pools to "generate good will." Restaurants don't let you borrow their silverware for your picnic to "generate good will." Clothing stores don't let you borrow jewelry and gas stations don't let you borrow their gas cans to buy gas from someone else. Repair shops don't loan out their tools.

Reactions: Cowby and brkaus
I've heard often enough that I believe that it is up to the site owner whether to allow non-customers to charge, but I don't know. I do believe that this guy was deflecting responsibility for his own decision.

But I find nothing wrong with limiting the service to your actual customers. Hotels don't let non-customers come to their hotel and drain their ice machines or swim in their pools to "generate good will." Restaurants don't let you borrow their silverware for your picnic to "generate good will." Clothing stores don't let you borrow jewelry and gas stations don't let you borrow their gas cans to buy gas from someone else. Repair shops don't loan out their tools.
The owner of the B&B could've asked for a fee or not lied.

So while I'm sure you're examples were fun to concoct, this is much more of a "You're not wrong, Walter" scenario than your idea that the request itself was absurd.

Reactions: Rocky_H
False. Completely up to the owner to provide charger access to non-patrons.

Technically it may be false, because you could say they are merely asking, but read their statement below:

From the Agreement:

Congratulations, your business has been approved! Based upon your site’s reviews and location, we would like to offer your property up to 3 complimentary Tesla Connectors.

As a host you are responsible for the ongoing electricity use. We also ask you make your charging available for Tesla customers in need who may not be patronizing your business.

Technically it may be false, because you could say they are merely asking, but read their statement below:

From the Agreement:

Congratulations, your business has been approved! Based upon your site’s reviews and location, we would like to offer your property up to 3 complimentary Tesla Connectors.

As a host you are responsible for the ongoing electricity use. We also ask you make your charging available for Tesla customers in need who may not be patronizing your business.
True, but asking and stating that they "must" or "shall" would indicate that they have to. I believe its a mere courtesy to allow Tesla owners to use the chargers (nominal fee if needed), but that's solely up to the business owner.