Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla promises 1000 km range for e-cars soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thegruf

Mar 24, 2015
indeterminate
idk where this quote came from but I haven't seen it here, and there are significant implications for MS range in the next year or two, though I suspect this will be achieve with a bigger and heavier battery not just by cell caparicity increases. Does line up with M3 and Gigafactory though.

"According to media reports, Musk said he plans to increase the range of his flagship model S to 1000 km or 621 miles. And not some time in the distant future, but “within a year or two”. He added that a reliable range of some 600 miles will “definitely be possible in 2017, or earlier”.

With his statement he referred to a recent record drive with a Tesla model S covering 729 km without recharging. In this drive however, the drivers achieved an average speed of just 39 kmph which cannot be considered realistic for everyday driving conditions.

Musk also said that by 2020, a range of 1,200 km would be achievable."

http://www.smart2zero.com/en/tesla-...cmp_id=7&news_id=10006240&vID=44#.VhJXt2eD6zk

idk where this quote came from but I haven't seen it here, and there are significant implications for MS range in the next year or two, though I suspect this will be achieve with a bigger and heavier battery not just by cell caparicity increases. Does line up with M3 and Gigafactory though.

"According to media reports, Musk said he plans to increase the range of his flagship model S to 1000 km or 621 miles. And not some time in the distant future, but “within a year or two”. He added that a reliable range of some 600 miles will “definitely be possible in 2017, or earlier”.

With his statement he referred to a recent record drive with a Tesla model S covering 729 km without recharging. In this drive however, the drivers achieved an average speed of just 39 kmph which cannot be considered realistic for everyday driving conditions.

Musk also said that by 2020, a range of 1,200 km would be achievable."

http://www.smart2zero.com/en/tesla-...cmp_id=7&news_id=10006240&vID=44#.VhJXt2eD6zk

This was discussed here. The consensus was it was only related to the long distance range record and not real range.

That was actually based on the 550 mile record set recently with an 85D. So it's a 10% improvement.

This is how I interpreted it as well. It was pretty clear that Elon was just riffing on the idea of max range driving at 24mph given the 550 mile record discussed in the interview. I knew immediately after I watched it that it would be terribly misquoted and taken out of context.