Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla promoting self-driving video was staged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can admit that I was duped by FSD in the beginning. In 2016, I believed the video was proof that Teslas were or would soon be self-driving. It was a big reason why I became interested in Tesla and wanted to buy a Tesla. Back then I was a huge Tesla FSD supporter. I used to post here about how Tesla was going to solve FSD any day now. LOL. It was only after Autonomy Day in 2019 that I started to see that FSD was not going to happen.
I was skeptical from the start and originally didn't buy FSD when I got my 3 (only EAP, which I don't regret). But then I got suckered in when the FSD upgrade was briefly on sale at a steep discount (in early 2019 for $2k, if I remember correctly), telling myself that at least the included computer upgrade would enable some worthwhile improvements of the EAP funcitonality (which didn't really happen either).

BTW, I can't believe that they are selling this for $15k (!) (or $9k on top of EAP) today. But perhaps it's just Musk's way to effectively stop selling it, without having to openly say that they stopped selling it ...

Last edited:
I was skeptical from the start and originally didn't buy FSD when I got my 3 (only EAP, which I don't regret). But then I got suckered in when the FSD upgrade was briefly on sale at a steep discount (in early 2019 for $2k, if I remember correctly), telling myself that at least the included computer upgrade would enable some worthwhile improvements of the EAP funcitonality (which didn't really happen either).

BTW, I can't believe that they are selling this for $15k (!) (or $9k on top of EAP) today. But perhaps it's just Musk's way to effectively stop selling it, without having to openly say that they stopped selling it ...
If they sold the EAP to FSD upgrade today for $2k I would still wouldn't bite. My car has 80k miles on it now, how is warranty going to work on something like that? Now if it was $15k for a transferrable FSD license on my account, but I handled the hardware upgrade, I'd likely bite. The account license makes the most sense. Especially in a world where Tesla cars are now popular for rental car companies. If I could rent a car at Hertz, login to my account (or it automatically logged in) and all my settings and features were already in the car at pickup, that would be really cool. FSD follow the account/user.

It would be an easy transition. Give people the option in their account to detach certain features from their car. When the car transfers ownership, those features don't go with it unless the entire account is sold.

I think you're confused. BEVNet isn't some industry-standard term, it's not used outside of Tesla, it's just something the Autopilot Team at Tesla dreamed up to help solve the static driving problem. That model was what enabled them to go from this dodgy demo video to something shipable.
You just confirmed that you are not well informed on this topic, which is unfortunately the case with people who abide in a bubble (in this case Tesla) and why you particularly believe that Waymo is a glorified AEB system.

BEV is literally industry standard and Tesla DID NOT invent it.
To add to the papers that have already been posted.

Here is a blog from 2020 listing some of the BEV papers.

There are other papers like these:

Baidu BEV network
more pics:
5EbaURg.jpeg

Xpeng BEV network

Mobileye BEV network
FN-O4YSWQAMDnSs

I could keep going and post others but i will stop...

Reactions: diplomat33