Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Publishes ‘Getting Back to Work’ Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla published Sunday a detailed plan to return its Fremont factory to production, despite objections from local officials about the automaker’s decision.

“Given the Governor’s recent guidance, which is supported by science and credible health data, the state and federal government’s classification of vehicle manufacturing as national critical infrastructure, and our robust safety plan, Tesla has started the process of resuming operations,” the blog post said. “Our employees are excited to get back to work, and we’re doing so with their health and safety in mind.”

Tesla planned to return to production on Friday, however Alameda County’s interim public health officer, Dr. Erica Pan said that Tesla must keep the plant closed until the county lifts restrictions in place to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter Saturday that the company plans to file a lawsuit against Alameda County over the health order and move its headquarters out of California.

“We will continue to put people back to work in a safe and responsible manner,” Tesla said in a blog post. “However, the County’s position left us no choice but to take legal action to ensure that Tesla and its employees can get back to work. We filed a lawsuit on May 9 asking the court to invalidate the County Orders, to the extent the County claims they prevent Tesla from resuming operations.”

The company listed eight efforts shared with city and county officials regarding the plan to keep workers safe:

Detailed health and safety restart plan with checklist and photosEmployee health and safety guidelinesRisk assessment process, including what we’ve done throughout the factoryRisk assessment improvements, including how we’ve identified and addressed high/medium/low risksTemperature screening protocol plus a commitment to add temperature screening when we resume long-distance shuttle routesRevised Fremont production restart planFactory layout with square footage to illustrate on how people are spread out across our 6 million square foot facilityBreak room capacities (reduced for social distancing) and numbers of people in each room based on work area

Check out the full post here.

Photo: Tesla

Last edited by a moderator:
When I learned about TESLA in November 2015 and they were using the plant that GM and Toyota basically gave to Tesla, my immediate thought was that short term it was a Great idea, but long term it would not be any more viable than when NUMMI was operating the plant. California is a very unfriendly state to deal with and it will get worse over time. I see it viable for Tesla to move a large part of their headquarters to Nevada, as it will be close enough to Fremont and far enough away for taxes and regulations. Productions could continue until Tesla has enough factories in the United States to lessen the need for Fremont and at that point decide what to do with the factory

Smart move on Tesla's part, letting everyone see the safety measures. If they start setting up a paint shop in NV, then the move is underway. Since they set up an assembly line in 3 weeks for the M3, it won't take too long to get one going in NV once the paint shop is ready.

Getting out of CA will save sooooo many $$.

Reactions: ReddykwRun
Tesla published Sunday a detailed plan to return its Fremont factory to production, despite objections from local officials about the automaker’s decision. “Given the Governor’s recent guidance, which is supported by science and credible health data, the state and federal government’s classification of vehicle manufacturing as national critical infrastructure, and our robust safety plan, Tesla...

From the article: “Our employees are excited to get back to work, and we’re doing so with their health and safety in mind.”

I don't doubt that that's true, but simply keeping "their health and safety in mind” is insufficient. It would make more sense to follow the guidance and recommendations of qualified experts on epidemics.
The virus doesn't care what is on anyone's mind.

Of course the restrictions are an economic hardship on many people; that is inescapably obvious. But if we open things up too quickly, there is likely to be a sharp increase of covid-19 infections and we will be far worse off. Until there is a clear decrease in infection rates and until testing, followed by contract tracing, are available, we should be very wary about opening things up.

There is no excuse for the delay in making adequate testing available. It is difficult to see how it would be possible to excoriate the federal government excessively for that omission. Tesla should be doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the article: “Our employees are excited to get back to work, and we’re doing so with their health and safety in mind.”

I don't doubt that that's true, but simply keeping "their health and safety in mind” is insufficient. It would make more sense to follow the guidance and recommendations of qualified experts on epidemics.
The virus doesn't care what is on anyone's mind.

Of course the restrictions are an economic hardship on many people; that is inescapably obvious. But if we open things up too quickly, there is likely to be a sharp increase of covid-19 infections and we will be far worse off. Until there is a clear decrease in infection rates and until testing, followed by contract tracing, are available, we should be very wary about opening things up.

There is no excuse for the delay in making adequate testing available. It is difficult to see how it would be possible to excoriate the federal government excessively for that omission. Tesla should be doing that.

When a business talks about taking action with something in mind, it is not just a thought, it is a mitigation action item. Keeping something in mind means that you modify an action based on the facts of the subject kept in mind.

I wish they would post a plan to upgrade the MCU1 cars so that they can get the functionality they are delivering to others who did not pay for FSD and been waiting for 3.5 years. I don't care about the MCU 2 I just want my car to do what I paid for and other cars are able to do. Why are they making the first to pay be the last to get?

Good to see that Tesla plans to resume manufacturing operations at the Fremont facility. As a company a young and growing company, Tesla will need to do everything to get the manufacturing operations to the full potential. Of course nobody will argue against providing adequate attention to its employee health and wellness.

I read Tesla is thinking of adding more plants to its portfolio which is a very good thing to have because relying on one plant won't be scalable. The question is how soon Tesla can establish a new factory and make it fully operational.

There is a logical flaw somewhere. Are you telling me that in a plant the size of the Fremont plant, that with credible health safety protocols in place, even considering the office workers and their prairie dog cubes, that the plant is less safe than the local Wal Mart, which has been open the entire time?
So because of some power drunk bureaucrat, 10 thousand or so people are still out of work, no paychecks, plus the collateral damage of a manufacturing operation shut down, but people can still go to the liquor store, the Wal Mart, and the Kroger, because it is safer there than in an umpty million square foot manufactory?
I'm ready to go out and join up in the dogs.

When I learned about TESLA in November 2015 and they were using the plant that GM and Toyota basically gave to Tesla, my immediate thought was that short term it was a Great idea, but long term it would not be any more viable than when NUMMI was operating the plant. California is a very unfriendly state to deal with and it will get worse over time. I see it viable for Tesla to move a large part of their headquarters to Nevada, as it will be close enough to Fremont and far enough away for taxes and regulations. Productions could continue until Tesla has enough factories in the United States to lessen the need for Fremont and at that point decide what to do with the factory
Tennessee would be a great state for a Tesla factory. Volkswagen has a factory at Chattanooga, Nissan one at Smyrna. There may be more. But I really would like a Tesla factory in Tennessee, especially upper east Tennessee where I live because there are no Tesla show rooms or service centers in this part of the state. It is a 6 hour drive to Nashville, Tennessee, the closest Tesla one.

Reactions: drdumont
I hope Alameda county works with Tesla to reopen in a safe manner. As long as safety measures are followed, this should really help. I also hope Tesla can stay there in California. The strict measures were really for everyone's protection (including Tesla employees), but it's probably time to relax those restrictions.
I hope they jail Elon if he flauts the orders.

There is a logical flaw somewhere. Are you telling me that in a plant the size of the Fremont plant, that with credible health safety protocols in place, even considering the office workers and their prairie dog cubes, that the plant is less safe than the local Wal Mart, which has been open the entire time?
So because of some power drunk bureaucrat, 10 thousand or so people are still out of work, no paychecks, plus the collateral damage of a manufacturing operation shut down, but people can still go to the liquor store, the Wal Mart, and the Kroger, because it is safer there than in an umpty million square foot manufactory?
I'm ready to go out and join up in the dogs.
Are Tesla's "essential"?
And the blowhards should look at our virus record vs the red state clowns in six months.
I think you're drunk but not on "power". Take your trumpfluffing garbage to faux news.

Pretty sure Tesla has saved more lives than Dictator Newsom. But that's a very low bar.

Dictator Newsom? Where do you people come up with this BS? There's NOTHING remotely describing the word "dictator" that Newsom has done. FFS... Do you even know what a dictator is? Newsom isn't out ordering people shot in the street for violating the SIPs, he isn't rounding up people who disagree with him, he isn't post armed guards at peoples houses to keep them from leaving. Just stop.

Jeff

• Disagree
Dictator Newsom? Where do you people come up with this BS? There's NOTHING remotely describing the word "dictator" that Newsom has done. FFS... Do you even know what a dictator is? Newsom isn't out ordering people shot in the street for violating the SIPs, he isn't rounding up people who disagree with him, he isn't post armed guards at peoples houses to keep them from leaving. Just stop.

Jeff

Yes, he's a small and petty dictator who colludes with China and defies the will of California voters. He was raised and funded by Getty Oil money. He's related to the Pelosi family which is a cancer that infects our nation.

And somehow he's getting his hair cut, something that's outlawed to Californians at this time. But then again, he should really sue his barber ... 'cause dang!

Yes, he's a small and petty dictator who colludes with China and defies the will of California voters. He was raised and funded by Getty Oil money. He's related to the Pelosi family which is a cancer that infects our nation.

And somehow he's getting his hair cut, something that's outlawed to Californians at this time. But then again, he should really sue his barber ... 'cause dang!

Wow... Stop watching Faux News... Holy wacko... Have you even seen him lately? He's not getting his hair cut...

Newsom was elected by one of the largest margins in CA history and has one of the highest approval ratings of any governor out there. He has an 83% approval rating with regards to his response to COVID-19 according to FiveThirtyEight.com... You really need to step out of your bubble, it's impacting your cognitive thinking skills.

Jeff

• Disagree
Reactions: wws and drdumont
I had always admired Tesla for being able to operate in the state with stricter labor and environmental regulations.
However, California government, Newsom included, seems unwilling to balance manufacturing needs with it's other priorities.

Hence, it would be unwise for Tesla to expand manufacturing business in this state. Moving most of production to TerraFactory once it's ready is likely the works as well.