Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Publishes ‘Getting Back to Work’ Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla published Sunday a detailed plan to return its Fremont factory to production, despite objections from local officials about the automaker’s decision.

“Given the Governor’s recent guidance, which is supported by science and credible health data, the state and federal government’s classification of vehicle manufacturing as national critical infrastructure, and our robust safety plan, Tesla has started the process of resuming operations,” the blog post said. “Our employees are excited to get back to work, and we’re doing so with their health and safety in mind.”

Tesla planned to return to production on Friday, however Alameda County’s interim public health officer, Dr. Erica Pan said that Tesla must keep the plant closed until the county lifts restrictions in place to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter Saturday that the company plans to file a lawsuit against Alameda County over the health order and move its headquarters out of California.

“We will continue to put people back to work in a safe and responsible manner,” Tesla said in a blog post. “However, the County’s position left us no choice but to take legal action to ensure that Tesla and its employees can get back to work. We filed a lawsuit on May 9 asking the court to invalidate the County Orders, to the extent the County claims they prevent Tesla from resuming operations.”

The company listed eight efforts shared with city and county officials regarding the plan to keep workers safe:

Detailed health and safety restart plan with checklist and photosEmployee health and safety guidelinesRisk assessment process, including what we’ve done throughout the factoryRisk assessment improvements, including how we’ve identified and addressed high/medium/low risksTemperature screening protocol plus a commitment to add temperature screening when we resume long-distance shuttle routesRevised Fremont production restart planFactory layout with square footage to illustrate on how people are spread out across our 6 million square foot facilityBreak room capacities (reduced for social distancing) and numbers of people in each room based on work area

Check out the full post here.

Photo: Tesla

Last edited by a moderator:
...it can be managed...

True!

...will never work...

China proved it: Locked down for 76 days and the infection rate went down, the hospitals became vacant again...

Taiwan proved it: It has never closed down its economy: schools, restaurants, businesses have been ongoing throughout with no interruptions. So far, its infection number is 440, and the death number is 7 in total (while the USA has more than 1.4 million infections and more than 80 thousand dead).

...It's best to come to terms with it and focus on managing the risk instead of running from it.

True. It's time to learn how China, Taiwan, South Korea... did rather running away from the truth.

Reactions: drdumont
True!

China proved it: Locked down for 76 days and the infection rate went down, the hospitals became vacant again...

Taiwan proved it: It has never closed down its economy: schools, restaurants, businesses have been ongoing throughout with no interruptions. So far, its infection number is 440, and the death number is 7 in total (while the USA has more than 1.4 million infections and more than 80 thousand dead).

True. It's time to learn how China, Taiwan, South Korea... did rather running away from the truth.

Virus going away w/o vaccinations or herd immunity is utopia.

China is starting to see reinfections (and we should not trust their numbers anyway), Taiwan is an island, had experience with SARS and citizens don't mind wearing masks while South Korea is much smaller, with populations mostly doing as instructed, plus they have functioning CDC (however, they saw reinfections recently also).

Anyway, back to USA, some states that did not quarantine (or were not serious about it - like keeping beaches open for example, or giving broad 'essential' business exceptions) while other states quarantined All 50 states will never agree on simultaneous shutdown while federal government is eager to sow divisions and meddle with CDC for political gain. Therefore, we cannot count on eradicating this virus through quarantine.

Last edited:
Are Tesla's "essential"?
And the blowhards should look at our virus record vs the red state clowns in six months.
I think you're drunk but not on "power". Take your trumpfluffing garbage to faux news.
It is not just Tesla. Detroit is planning to reopen on 18 May. Arlington is planning to open. So are others.
Certainly manufacturing facilities are important. Certainly at least as important as Wal-Marts, liquor stores, barber shops, massage parlors...

I don't see your point in ranting about the President re the California politicians. You cannot blame him any more than you can blame the Poor Losers' Party, or anyone else than the people who allowed the whole thing to get out of hand before it made it across the Pacific.

I thought this was a forum for exchanging ideas about the Tesla, not another Quora.

It is not just Tesla. Detroit is planning to reopen on 18 May. Arlington is planning to open. So are others.
Certainly manufacturing facilities are important. Certainly at least as important as Wal-Marts, liquor stores, barber shops, massage parlors...

I don't see your point in ranting about the President re the California politicians. You cannot blame him any more than you can blame the Poor Losers' Party, or anyone else than the people who allowed the whole thing to get out of hand before it made it across the Pacific.

I thought this was a forum for exchanging ideas about the Tesla, not another Quora.

Saying you cannot blame POTUS for the situation as it stands in the US today is a dangerously misinformed position. He and his administration made specific decisions that allowed things to get as bad as they are and continue to make decisions that will in all likelihood make matters worse. All of these things are opening not because it's the right thing to do from a public health standpoint, they're opening purely for financial reasons. Yes, more people are going to get sick and die as a result but when money matters more than human life, this is what you get. Now if you want to have a discussion about the lack of a social safety net for times like these that would allow for people to continue getting paid and not lose their healthcare then okay, let's have that discussion. If you're going to argue that exchanging human lives for money is an acceptable trade off, I'm not going to have that discussion as I think it's profoundly absurd.

Jeff

Saying you cannot blame POTUS for the situation as it stands in the US today is a dangerously misinformed position. He and his administration made specific decisions that allowed things to get as bad as they are and continue to make decisions that will in all likelihood make matters worse. All of these things are opening not because it's the right thing to do from a public health standpoint, they're opening purely for financial reasons. Yes, more people are going to get sick and die as a result but when money matters more than human life, this is what you get. Now if you want to have a discussion about the lack of a social safety net for times like these that would allow for people to continue getting paid and not lose their healthcare then okay, let's have that discussion. If you're going to argue that exchanging human lives for money is an acceptable trade off, I'm not going to have that discussion as I think it's profoundly absurd.

Jeff
The loss of even one life is a tragedy. There are going to be and have been lives lost in this debacle. However, this Nation nor any other can continue to dole out money and support when there is no work, and no income to the State to support it. If everyone is sitting at home, hiding while a few souls actually get out and make a contribution, the wheels will eventually grind to a halt. I was declared essential, so I still go to work every day. My daughter - same thing. We use common sense and intelligence to minimize the risk of contagion as does anyone else who has to get out and work and support those who remain as Troglodytes.
The facilities where we work have taken hygienic and prophylactic measures to protect us as much as can be done.
Yes, there will be accidents. Yes, there will be deaths.
Better a few deaths than watching the entire nation and/or world starve because we haven't the intestinal fortitude to soldier on.
Everyone speaks of "sacrifice" and "inner strength" and all that. We went through that for a few years in the 40s, the fifties and the sixties. Lots of people fought. Some won. Some didn't. Should we have just cowered in our caves and been content to start or subsist on fish heads and rice?
The Government, under whoever, has taken what it considered learned advice, and promptly set Condition Panic aboard ship.
For every day we do not try to reestablish some level of commerce and enterprise, it will be that much more difficult to get "back to normal". If we ever will.
It would be interesting to see how Hilary and the Poor Losers' Party would have handled things, though...

The loss of even one life is a tragedy. There are going to be and have been lives lost in this debacle. However, this Nation nor any other can continue to dole out money and support when there is no work, and no income to the State to support it. If everyone is sitting at home, hiding while a few souls actually get out and make a contribution, the wheels will eventually grind to a halt. I was declared essential, so I still go to work every day. My daughter - same thing. We use common sense and intelligence to minimize the risk of contagion as does anyone else who has to get out and work and support those who remain as Troglodytes.
The facilities where we work have taken hygienic and prophylactic measures to protect us as much as can be done.
Better a few deaths than watching the entire nation and/or world starve because we haven't the intestinal fortitude to soldier on.
Everyone speaks of "sacrifice" and "inner strength" and all that. We went through that for a few years in the 40s, the fifties and the sixties. Lots of people fought. Some won. Some didn't. Should we have just cowered in our caves and been content to start or subsist on fish heads and rice?
The Government, under whoever, has taken what it considered learned advice, and promptly set Condition Panic aboard ship.
For every day we do not try to reestablish some level of commerce and enterprise, it will be that much more difficult to get "back to normal". If we ever will.
It would be interesting to see how Hilary and the Poor Losers' Party would have handled things, though...

Saying things like "Poor Losers' Party" immediately devalues your point and just makes you look weak. We know how Hillary would have handled it, the same way President Obama SUCCESSFULLY handled H1N1 and Ebola. Combined fewer Americans died from those things then have COVID-19 and COVID-19 isn't even close to getting to it's final death toll. The difference is pretty clear... President Obama (and I have no reason to think Hillary wouldn't have had the same experts advising her) listened to the heath experts and did what they believed was necessary to contain the pandemic. Our current POTUS listens to his completely misinformed and ignorant "gut" while ignoring the health experts to the extent possible. The contrast is stark and significant and if you can't see that by now then you're never going to see it.

Viruses don't care about your political affiliation, they don't care about your perceived "rights", and they really don't care what you believe or think. It's as if an entire segment of this country fundamentally fails to understand that and if their ignorance only affected them that would be one thing, but it affects us all and that's a completely different thing all together.

Jeff

• Funny
Reactions: MXLRplus

Speaking of troglodytes, will Texas allow Tesla sales soon?

Touc
Saying things like "Poor Losers' Party" immediately devalues your point and just makes you look weak. We know how Hillary would have handled it, the same way President Obama SUCCESSFULLY handled H1N1 and Ebola. Combined fewer Americans died from those things then have COVID-19 and COVID-19 isn't even close to getting to it's final death toll. The difference is pretty clear... President Obama (and I have no reason to think Hillary wouldn't have had the same experts advising her) listened to the heath experts and did what they believed was necessary to contain the pandemic. Our current POTUS listens to his completely misinformed and ignorant "gut" while ignoring the health experts to the extent possible. The contrast is stark and significant and if you can't see that by now then you're never going to see it.

Viruses don't care about your political affiliation, they don't care about your perceived "rights", and they really don't care what you believe or think. It's as if an entire segment of this country fundamentally fails to understand that and if their ignorance only affected them that would be one thing, but it affects us all and that's a completely different thing all together.

Jeff
Touched a nerve, have I ? Weak because I have pointed out the flaws of an opposition party that has not stopped for one moment trying to find a way to discredit a sworn sitting president who, according to the PLP, "stole" the election from their favorite, whose "Turn" it was to be President? They seem to have dedicated their lives to try to cause his downfall, rather than simply working harder to present a better candidate for the upcoming election. And we see where THAT has led them.
The H1N1 and the other plagues were very much different from that which we are experiencing now. And I am not defending the current President for his actions, listening to all the hand wringers and "experts" who are leading us down the garden path toward economic disaster. By now the PLP would have emptied the treasury and saddled us with an even bigger mortgage than we have just taken on.
We need to stop the quibbling, get the economy restarted, be as careful as we can to reduce the number of infections and get on with life. A new vaccine or 50 million new respirators or a billion new masks won't do us much good if there's no one to pay for them to be prudoced or distributed.

I daresay if it hadn't been for the prosperity we have enjoyed up to now under the current administration in spite of all the naysayers, we would be in a much worse position.

• Funny
Reactions: jeffro01
Touc

Touched a nerve, have I ? Weak because I have pointed out the flaws of an opposition party that has not stopped for one moment trying to find a way to discredit a sworn sitting president who, according to the PLP, "stole" the election from their favorite, whose "Turn" it was to be President? They seem to have dedicated their lives to try to cause his downfall, rather than simply working harder to present a better candidate for the upcoming election. And we see where THAT has led them.
The H1N1 and the other plagues were very much different from that which we are experiencing now. And I am not defending the current President for his actions, listening to all the hand wringers and "experts" who are leading us down the garden path toward economic disaster. By now the PLP would have emptied the treasury and saddled us with an even bigger mortgage than we have just taken on.
We need to stop the quibbling, get the economy restarted, be as careful as we can to reduce the number of infections and get on with life. A new vaccine or 50 million new respirators or a billion new masks won't do us much good if there's no one to pay for them to be prudoced or distributed.

I daresay if it hadn't been for the prosperity we have enjoyed up to now under the current administration in spite of all the naysayers, we would be in a much worse position.

Keep moving those goal posts...

Jeff