Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla pulls out of 2016 Detroit Auto Show.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish Tesla had cited Michigan's law as the reason for withdrawing, even if it wasn't the real reason, rather than what they said about timing of product cycles. It would have gotten Tesla much more press that way.

As I suggested last year, Tesla should have a booth with only a large sign that says "Made in the USA. Banned in Michigan."

Wonder if they'll come to Toronto? They had a small display last year, but it was tucked away in a separate room of "exotic" car brands.

The Model S was in good company near the 1.7 million dollar Pagani Huayra.

I am bummed about no Model X being in the Detroit auto show. I find it hard to believe unless its a political or legal reason. I was looking forward to the trip using the Woodstock and Comber superchargers.

Perhaps they will have a test drive event in Toronto across the street from the Canadian International auto show at the Steamwhistle brewery, like they did another year.

Tesla doesn't show up to many auto shows in the US or world anyway. Heck, they don't even show up to many EV events errr EVents.

FWIW, it can be extremely costly to have a booth (at least an elaborate one) at major auto shows. I was at Tokyo Motor Show 2015 (http://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/en/; 4th time for me at the show) and it ran from Oct 29 to Nov 8. For most general public days, it was open from 10 am to 8 pm.

I watched this pretty cool (~5 minute) video at Tokyo Motor Show 2015 Backstage Pass æ￾±äº¬ãƒ¢ãƒ¼ã‚¿ãƒ¼ã‚·ãƒ§ãƒ¼èˆžå￾°è£￾ - YouTube that can give you an idea of how much work it was for Nissan at TMS, just for ~1.5 week show that's held every 2 years.

Obviously, Tesla wouldn't need anything nearly as elaborate as they sell only 2 models vs. a full-line massive automaker. But still... the labor, staffing and travel expenses for a show that runs from Jan 11th to 26th and per NAIAS Tickets - North American International Auto Show has hours from 9 am to 10 pm really add up. And, since they can't sell in Michigan, don't have anything to announce and have a backlog of orders anyway...

Tesla can just do what they do now (just like Apple), set up a press event. The press event will come and it'll be covered. It'll be on their schedule (vs. tied to an auto show date) and WAY cheaper than having a booth at an auto show.

Last edited:
As a Michigan resident, this is a real bummer as it was the one chance per year I had to see Tesla's vehicles up close. I hope this isn't a sign that Tesla has decided to capitulate to the dealers and not try to fight the dealership laws in this state. If I couldn't get a Model 3 serviced in-state, that would would pretty much force me to buy something else when the Prius gives up the ghost (most likely a Volt, but maybe a Bolt if the DCFC network is good).

These auto shows are very expensive ventures for small manufacturers, especially a supply-constrained marque like Tesla who stand to gain no sales from showing up. Like other manufacturers (jaguar Land Rover) who are passing on the NAIAS, they are picking certain events to make their mark and passing on others.

Also those kind of auto shows work best for makers that use the traditional auto year to upgrade. If you're upgrading constantly, you may or may not have something new to display when the show occurs.

These auto shows are very expensive ventures for small manufacturers, especially a supply-constrained marque like Tesla who stand to gain no sales from showing up.
Yep.
This is sad as it is a reasonably lower cost way to show the car to a broad range of car enthusiasts.
Not that low cost esp. when Tesla can't sell in Michigan. Did you see my post and the Nissan video (as an example)?