Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla purchasing GM Oshawa plant for pennies on the dollar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Capital is scarce. Do you think it's better deployed building another car factory on this continent, or building one in a different continent (that may also have cheaper inputs)?
Unless Tesla starts manufacturing complete vehicles at Gigafactory 1, Tesla needs more factories in North America for new products like Model Y, Semi, Pickup, and Roadster 2020. The argument for or against locating it in Canada is a separate issue.

How many cars would Tesla need to sell annually in Canada to have a manufacturing plant in Ontario make sense?
More than it ever could. Canadian auto plants exist now only because they can sell into the US. No Gigafactory nearby either so batteries would need to be transported across the country. Steel tariffs which also haven't been removed yet make this even less likely.

GM would also probably choose not to sell an old factory to Tesla as well since look what happened the last time where they got it and a huge plot of land in Silicon Valley for only $42MM. Tesla is building cars in tents. They don't need an old GM factory. :)

Well ol’ Ford boy DID challenge Tesla to open a factory in Ontario back during that dust-up over the rebate....... B)

Personally, I would be in favor of Tesla snagging one or two of GMs plants. It saves them building one from scratch, all they’d have to do is refit it same as they did to Nummi.

I'm an American and believe in everything American; I have never purchased a foreign car. That said, there might be benefits for Tesla and Canada if a complete factory is established in Canada. Canada could possibly be able to provide cheaper materials and possibly lower imports tariffs in deals from the countries that hate the US (just because!) The biggest issue would be the Canadian unions.

I'm an American and believe in everything American; I have never purchased a foreign car. That said, there might be benefits for Tesla and Canada if a complete factory is established in Canada. Canada could possibly be able to provide cheaper materials and possibly lower imports tariffs in deals from the countries that hate the US (just because!) The biggest issue would be the Canadian unions.
The workers would have to unionize after hiring, as I understand it. They would need to figure out what union they would join, and be accepted. I’m actually curious how it would work.

From a supply chain perspective, it's not a bad idea as Southern Ontario is 80% automotive (I work for such a company). The technical support from Kuka, Festo, Fanuc, AB, Bosch, Balluff, IFM, Keyance, etc etc etc are all here. What product would Tesla start here is the better question to ask.

A second Gigafactory would be possible as we have really cheap hydro overnight. Make the batteries and charge them at night from Wind and Hydro.

Would be great for Tesla to put Doug's foot to his mouth and out back his butt.