Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla purchasing GM Oshawa plant for pennies on the dollar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm an American and believe in everything American; I have never purchased a foreign car. That said, there might be benefits for Tesla and Canada if a complete factory is established in Canada. Canada could possibly be able to provide cheaper materials and possibly lower imports tariffs in deals from the countries that hate the US (just because!) The biggest issue would be the Canadian unions.

Where were those "American" cars manufactured? How about the engine and transmission? Probably not here.

Tesla is one of the most American cars you can buy, by the way.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
I'm an American and believe in everything American; I have never purchased a foreign car. That said, there might be benefits for Tesla and Canada if a complete factory is established in Canada. Canada could possibly be able to provide cheaper materials and possibly lower imports tariffs in deals from the countries that hate the US (just because!) The biggest issue would be the Canadian unions.

Umm... and what exactly is your definition of an American car? I'm just sayin...

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
per the WSJ, this factory has the highest production costs in North America. Canada would have to pay Elon to take it.

It's also GM's best plant --
Oshawa Assembly Plant

Oshawa Assembly is the most decorated plant with 29 J.D. Power awards, a proven track record of great quality and customer satisfaction. In 2014 Oshawa was recognized as the most complex facility in North America building several models and options on the Flex Line while also running a Consolidated Line within one plant.

Getting rid of the union would go a long way towards addressing cost issues. The biggest issue this plant has is it's east of Toronto, and therefore not ideally situated for efficient access to the automotive corridor from Michigan to Ohio. The biggest reason Tesla wouldn't want it is cause Canada isn't a market that requires its own automotive plant, not even close. The only reasons to have a plant here are purely political, and trump isn't making that part easy these days. Much easier to stick a new Tesla plant in Ohio or Michigan, will allow them to start influencing the politicians who hate them. Tho personally I think Georgia or Florida would be the best choice -- big powerful states that don't particularly like Tesla, but who also aren't beholden to the automotive industry. You can see what Tesla setting up in Nevada did for them in a purple state, some really positive stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: gavine
I was a GM faithful, and yes my last GM Sierra Denali was manufactured in Canada, but I think that most of the content was from the US. Supply chains currently are very much international for all products.

Just How American Are GM’s Trucks, SUVs and Vans?

The Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra twins rank low on the list compared to other pickups, with 40 percent of their parts being made in America. This is bested by nearly all of GM’s competitors, including Nissan, Toyota, Honda and Ram.

Can we now admit your premise is totally flawed?

We really ought to be prodding Magna.

They set up an outsourced automated assembly line in Austria. They will do contract work for any auto manufacturer. Currently they are assembling the iPace for Jaguar.

A Magna assembly plant would look really good in Oshawa..........
Perhaps even GM would contract them to build one of their new electric models :rolleyes: