Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla PW2 - UK Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mark_T

Nov 1, 2017
UK
If anyone has had a recent PW2 install I'd be interested to hear when it was ordered and who you used for the install?

Seems like there is hardly any stock reacing the UK these days, but perhaps I'm just talking to the wrong installers... ?

Thanks for the comments, it seems to be since March that everything has fallen apart in the supply chain.

Was expecting installation in August, but stock didn't arrive, now hoping for October...

The supply chain has never been very good, I had mine installed in 2019 and they put back the delivery twice from the original "three weeks"; it was about ten weeks from order to installation.

I imagine that between chip shortages, pandemic shipping delays and lorry driver shortages then things are even worse at the moment.

Reactions: Mark_T
I have had mine on order since Dec 2020. The UK importer SEGEN is currently getting drip fed power walls. They are still trying to fulfil last years back orders. My date has been missed four times so far with the next date being scheduled for November.

Reactions: Mark_T
I have had mine on order since Dec 2020. The UK importer SEGEN is currently getting drip fed power walls. They are still trying to fulfil last years back orders. My date has been missed four times so far with the next date being scheduled for November.
Sorry to hear you've been waiting that long, makes my March '21 order seem quite recent...

I'll post again when I hear if the next stock delivery date I've been given (September) actually happens.

Ordered solar and PW2 in March, solar installed in April and was meant to get the PW installed end of July - but as noted, there seemed to be no stock then suddenly i got a call saying it arrived and got it installed yesterday kind of out the blue. So there is some stick arriving in the country - but clearly not that much.

via The Green Way Solar in Newport Pagnell (near Milton Keynes) who were a Tesla approved installer.

Reactions: MrT3 and Mark_T
I've just received a quote for PW2 installation and it seems much higher than expected from online reports. The suggested location is right next to recently replaced consumer units and at ground level. I don't need UPS just some way of accessing limited power in the case of grid failure. Solar is not available as the property is leasehold.
Screenshot 2022-11-29 100228.png

I've just received a quote for PW2 installation and it seems much higher than expected from online reports. The suggested location is right next to recently replaced consumer units and at ground level. I don't need UPS just some way of accessing limited power in the case of grid failure. Solar is not available as the property is leasehold.View attachment 879369
that is quite alot. I understand prices have risen but I paid for mine £7500 in April 2021. shouldnt be more than 10k tbh

could you get it installed alongside solar to get the vat off it? I'm not sure if there's a minimum requirement you have to hit for it to class as a solar install. Could you get one panel on your shed and call it solar with battery. Ideally I'd run a battery (or two) and a decent solar setup, but as I'd need the roof replacing before the solar I'm not going to be in a position for a while, but the battery alone would make a big difference, so getting the battery and inverter fitted now with a token panel is my current thinking.
I tried to get a quote for a powerwall earlier this year, ran through all my requirements with the installer, sent off all my images and write up and they never got back with a quote.
One query would be if you're not too fussed about blackout protection, why bother with a powerwall in the first place? The Tesla tariffs to feed back to the grid are only good if you don't actually need to use the power yourself, and something "equivalent" like a givenergy pack is considerably cheaper.

could you get it installed alongside solar to get the vat off it? I'm not sure if there's a minimum requirement you have to hit for it to class as a solar install. Could you get one panel on your shed and call it solar with battery. Ideally I'd run a battery (or two) and a decent solar setup, but as I'd need the roof replacing before the solar I'm not going to be in a position for a while, but the battery alone would make a big difference, so getting the battery and inverter fitted now with a token panel is my current thinking.
I tried to get a quote for a powerwall earlier this year, ran through all my requirements with the installer, sent off all my images and write up and they never got back with a quote.
One query would be if you're not too fussed about blackout protection, why bother with a powerwall in the first place? The Tesla tariffs to feed back to the grid are only good if you don't actually need to use the power yourself, and something "equivalent" like a givenergy pack is considerably cheaper.
I believe you could indeed install a token solar system and get 0% VAT on the battery. If I'm not mistaken others here have done that.

Also, quite right on your last point. If you're not fussed about the benefits that the Gateway give you (namely the seamless backup and grid-islanding capabilities) then there will be other much cheaper options out there.

I’ve had similar quotes for a PW2 - the prices have gone through the roof in the last year. It’s basically caused me to write off getting one - I can’t get the numbers to work out for me to generate any sort of saving this side of a decade unless electricity prices hit insane levels. It would have been far more attractive at the 2021 £7.5k prices.

Regarding a solar install to remove the VAT, I believe the solar needs to make up something like 60% of the total bill to qualify, but my memory of the exact number might be incorrect.

I’ve had similar quotes for a PW2 - the prices have gone through the roof in the last year. It’s basically caused me to write off getting one - I can’t get the numbers to work out for me to generate any sort of saving this side of a decade unless electricity prices hit insane levels. It would have been far more attractive at the 2021 £7.5k prices.

Regarding a solar install to remove the VAT, I believe the solar needs to make up something like 60% of the total bill to qualify, but my memory of the exact number might be incorrect.
I believe that was the case but that requirement has been scrapped.