Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Q1 Earnings Call: Flufferbot, Model Y, and the ‘Best-Selling’ Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk said the company’s Q1 letter to shareholders covered just about all he had to say about the company’s progress and instead wanted to devote the bulk of Tuesday’s earning’s call to questions.

At one point he teased those on the call that their questions were too dry, but ultimately covered quite a bit of ground with his answers. Below is a round up of a few notable comments.

Production – Musk said he’s most excited about “rapid increase of output.” He said Model 3 production has achieved a “peak hour” equivalent to a rate of 5,000 cars per week. Musk said “if you can achieve it even once,” a focus on refinement will help you eventually sustain the rate. Tesla has been able to achieve this by simplifying the production line and studying what tasks deserve automation and what tasks don’t.

Musk said the company was previously automating “silly things.”

“We had these fiberglass mats on the top of the battery pack,” Musk said. “They’re basically fluff. So we tried to automate the placement and bonding of fluff to the top of the battery pack. Which is ridiculous.”

Human hands are “way better at doing that,” he said, and the “flufferbot” was decommissioned.

Best-Seller – Despite production woes, Tesla is still on the cusp of becoming the best-selling mid-sized premium sedan in the U.S., Musk said. He expects Model 3 to have 30-40 percent share by the end of the year, stealing sales from cars like the BMW 3 Series.

Profitability – Musk is “confident” the company will be cash flow positive in Q3. To achieve the goal, Tesla will begin a restructure this month to shed expenses. Most of the reductions will impact third-party contractors. “We’ve got barnacles on barnacles,” Musk said. 

Funding – Musk said Tesla will not raise new equity capital. “I specifically don’t want to,” he said.

Model Y – Investment in the Model Y program will only become significant in 2019. While a clear timeline for production hasn’t been given, Musk said the car won’t hit roads for at least two years. He said the production location has not been decided, but to expect an announcement by end of year.

Musk also made a bold prediction for the upcoming all-electric crossover, particularly given the stress the company’s newest model has caused the company. “I think Model Y is going to be a manufacturing revolution,” he said without offering more specifics.

Tesla Semi – Musk responded to those who challenge the truck’s specs announced at the unveiling by saying the Semi’s range will be even better. Tesla previously said its electric semi truck can travel up to 500 miles with a 80,000-lb load, but Musk was willing to bump the expected range to 600 miles.

Musk said sales are “opportunistic,” as many fleet operators are coming directly to Tesla with inquiries.

Self-Driving – Tesla’s self-driving efforts have had a rough go recently, including a federal investigation into a fatal crash that occurred while Autopilot was engaged, as well as team departures. Jim Keller, Tesla’s VP for Autopilot Hardware, left the company last week for an engineering position at Intel. Musk said there is no plan to replace Keller. The company’s efforts for full autonomy, including the development of its own chip designed specifically for artificial intelligence applications, will be managed by Pete Bannon and Andrej Karpathy, Tesla’s director of AI and Autopilot vision.

Speaking on the proposed Tesla Network autonomous ride-sharing platform, Musk said the company would be ready from a technical standpoint by the end of next year. However, the rollout of such a service will depend on regulatory approval. “We’re making really good progress on full autonomy,” he said.

Musk said Tesla will soon begin issuing a quarterly safety report on the use of the self-driving feature in cars. “Autopilot is safer, no question,” he said.

You can listen to the full webcast of the call here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla is a "publically" traded/funded company. The public has invested a tremendous amount of money in Tesla.

Are you saying that Elon should not pay attention to the public and only concern himself with the company? Should he say....yeah...eventually we will make money......but don't worry about it.......It'll eventually happen in a few years or so. If so.....I wonder if Tesla should have ever gone public.
I am saying he should not be a
j = d3s/dt3

When it involves dealing with the people who control the massive amounts of money that Wall Street has invested in his stock. So it is the opposite: if you are a CEO of a publicly traded company you do have to control what is put out to the public, as well as what the company is doing. If you can't do that, step away from the CEO role. TSLA has to go public, because it needs the immense amount of capital that wall street can bring. Otherwise, you are John Z DeLorean, and we all know how that turned out (and I am old enough to remember that whole story)

I am saying he should not be a
j = d3s/dt3

When it involves dealing with the people who control the massive amounts of money that Wall Street has invested in his stock. So it is the opposite: if you are a CEO of a publicly traded company you do have to control what is put out to the public, as well as what the company is doing. If you can't do that, step away from the CEO role. TSLA has to go public, because it needs the immense amount of capital that wall street can bring. Otherwise, you are John Z DeLorean, and we all know how that turned out (and I am old enough to remember that whole story)

There is another company that a person named Nikola Tesla started that didn't go well either.

When it involves dealing with people..........? For Tesla it will ALWAYS involve dealing with people.....so Elon can't just be company focused or at least the CFO needs to be. He has to be publically focused. Its not a matter of controlling information....Its about being truthful about what IS happening and what you PLAN to do. OR ELSE.....he public will remove its investment. Its really really simple.

I believe that the stock would not be down 7% today if Tesla was in the black for the 1st quarter. Investors understand what it takes to make Tesla profitable in the future as it invests in its own infrastructure. They get that, but hmmmmm.........they seem to not be caring about that lately. Elon shouldn't care?

Last edited:
I was absolutely shocked to learn that there were only 8K or so Model 3's delivered in the 1st quarter.

Tesla stated that they were somewhere around 1K per week January 1st.

Weren't there 12 weeks in the quarter?
Remember, manufactured doesn't mean the same thing as delivered.

Those manufactured in the last couple of weeks had to be transported to the customer.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
With all due respect, I think Elon 'screwed the pooch' yesterday on the CC. It sounds very much like he forgot he was talking to analysts who control all the big money that supports the share price, and instead thought he was speaking to pesky Bloomberg or Barron's reporters, who do not. How wonderful he reached out to us retail investors. But that really should be done in a separate forum; what you want to do in a CC is lay out your vision for the big money that calls in, and frankly, convince them why they should invest in your company. If you want to be a publicly traded company, and have access to Wall Street Capital, that's what you do. Yes, you have to endure dry and 'uncool' questions. Most of us have to do that in our daily work lives. So do it.
Mr Musk is smart enough to grasp this. He makes a superb product and has a real chance of changing the world. Stick to that message please. Do better next time, is all I have to say
I'm not directly disagreeing, but I think right now it also shows that Elon isn't trying to do a capital raise, because they are fairly sure they won't need it.

Reactions: chetmmd
Yes, but the same holds true for those manufactured Dec 2017. So its a wash.
It can be a wash if the cars in transit is the same quarter to quarter, but that's not true during the ramp up. Right now it's the minor bad side of a few factors: more money spent in Q1 than Q4 making more cars, more cars in transit in Q1 than Q4, more interest on existing debt, and more time with more expenses being paid before the ramp up income, which will have to come after the cars in transit are delivered. But there's one factor that is very good: the ramp up is happening, which will get to the profitability crossover point, and all of the "bad" factors will start disappearing. Long term investors have known this for many years already, and were expecting all of this. Right now, Tesla has enough money to make it through to profitability without getting new capital, according to everything they can see, so they're going to stick to that plan.

This is the second time I heard Elon say "Now that we're at Model 3, the shareholders deserve us to be profitable." Basically, that was the business plan since the beginning, so they're following through. But the overall goals of the company are to clean up energy, so that obviously means after profitability is proven, that they keep going, with Model Y, Truck, Pickup, modern Roadster, as well as the other energy products they're doing in order to clean up the input end, which is necessary: solar retrofit, solar new roof, and battery, all of which are ramping up. It will be interesting if they fund all of that via revenue or want to raise new capital at that time. They could go either way. I think showing profit from all their current shipping products and pay down of almost all their debt would be enough to show investors that they are worth it, if Tesla wants to grow faster than just using revenue. If they do that it will also be interesting how much debt they pay down before growing faster again.

Last edited:
It can be a wash if the cars in transit is the same quarter to quarter, but that's not true during the ramp up. Right now it's the minor bad side of a few factors: more money spent in Q1 than Q4 making more cars, more cars in transit in Q1 than Q4, more interest on existing debt, and more time with more expenses being paid before the ramp up income, which will have to come after the cars in transit are delivered. But there's one factor that is very good: the ramp up is happening, which will get to the profitability crossover point, and all of the "worse" issues will start disappearing. Long term investors have known this for many years already, and were expecting all of this. Right now, Tesla has enough money to make it through to profitability without getting new capital, according to everything they can see, so they're going to stick to that plan.

This is the second time I heard Elon say "Now that we're at Model 3, the shareholders deserve us to be profitable." Basically, that was the business plan since the beginning, so they're following through. But the overall goals of the company are to clean up energy, so that obviously means after profitability is proven, that they keep going, with Model Y, Truck, Pickup, modern Roadster, as well as the other energy products they're doing in order to clean up the input end, which is necessary: solar retrofit, solar new roof, and battery, all of which are ramping up.

Come on now.

Tesla said they were at 1K per week on January 1st. There were 12 weeks @ 1k per week which would have resulted in 12K cars.

They just reported that there were only 8k cars credited. There are 4 weeks missing......A Whole Months worth.

I don't care how many cars are in transit........there isn't a whole months worth.

It doesn't matter....I know you will find them in fandomland

Come on now.

Tesla said they were at 1K per week on January 1st. There were 12 weeks @ 1k per week which would have resulted in 12K cars.

They just reported that there were only 8k cars credited. There are 4 weeks missing......A Whole Months worth.

I don't care how many cars are in transit........there isn't a whole months worth.

It doesn't matter....I know you will find them in fandomland
About 10 weeks the factory was running, so about 10,000. They said 9,766. That's not a month missing. You're claiming they're lying. My review of their VIN #s and car parking lots has never found them lying about what they've made.

I leave you with this quote from the Q1 review letter discussing what's coming for Q2: "Furthermore, in the just over two weeks between the beginning of April and the planned downtime, we had produced 4,750 Model 3 vehicles, which was already about half the production of the entire prior quarter."

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 6.40.50 PM.png

They made almost as many Model 3's in April (~9,219) as they did in January through March combined (9,766).

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
About 10 weeks the factory was running, so about 10,000. They said 9,766. That's not a month missing. You're claiming they're lying. My review of their VIN #s and car parking lots has never found them lying about what they've made.

I leave you with this quote from the Q1 review letter discussing what's coming for Q2: "Furthermore, in the just over two weeks between the beginning of April and the planned downtime, we had produced 4,750 Model 3 vehicles, which was already about half the production of the entire prior quarter."

View attachment 298603
They made almost as many Model 3's in April (~9,219) as they did in January through March combined (9,766).
LOL

We'll see......in the 3rd quarter.

Do you think they will meet their 5K per week by the end of this quarter? Isn't that the promise?
I for sure hope so.......because then I will get my dual Motor AWD version.

• Disagree
Reactions: scaesare
I was absolutely shocked to learn that there were only 8K or so Model 3's delivered in the 1st quarter.

Tesla stated that they were somewhere around 1K per week January 1st.

Weren't there 12 weeks in the quarter?
Actually, 13 weeks in each quarter. And this just makes Tesla's low actuals all the more disappointing.

They made almost as many Model 3's in April (~9,219)
. Where did you find this output for April? I'm pretty positive Model 3 production for April was far less given the plant shutdown; do we know how many days this actually lasted? M3 production was likely around 300 per day (~2k per week). So they'd have needed all 30 days of April to reach over 9k.

Here's the upside of lower output...I'm confident Tesla won't SELL 200k EVs in the US until July 2 (i.e., Q3), so that preserves the full $7500 tax credit through the end of 2018. And partial credits through NYE 2019. That's a good thing for the 400k future owners :)

Reactions: Garlan Garner

View attachment 298603
If relying only on Bloomberg's production model, please beware that they make no corrections at all for plant shutdowns. We know there was a shutdown of significance in April. If anyone knows how many days (employees forced to take vacation), please share. I'm guessing it was at least one week, maybe the better part of two?!? And did production resume at the full, prior rate of 300/day? Or once they pulled out all the excess automation, did this temporarily slow down the M3 line? Maybe it quickly increased output above the 2k/week? Would love to hear from anyone with real knowledge. Thanks!

I'm not directly disagreeing, but I think right now it also shows that Elon isn't trying to do a capital raise, because they are fairly sure they won't need it.
The problem here is that he might as cash burn continues and with planned capital outlays this year he may very well need one next year. yes, I know wall street memories are short. BUt I do not see the 'Y' going into production without a significant raise of capital

LOL

We'll see......in the 3rd quarter.

Do you think they will meet their 5K per week by the end of this quarter? Isn't that the promise?
I for sure hope so.......because then I will get my dual Motor AWD version.

So when your assertion is refuted with data, the response is "LOL"?

Are you interested in getting down to the actual facts, or do you prefer to indict on page one and retract on page 12?

Reactions: hcsharp and kbM3
The problem here is that he might as cash burn continues and with planned capital outlays this year he may very well need one next year. yes, I know wall street memories are short. BUt I do not see the 'Y' going into production without a significant raise of capital
5k/wk * 50,000 ASP * 20% margin * 12wk/quarter = $600 million per quarter gross profit second half 2018
5k/wk * 40,000 ASP * 25% margin * 12wk/quarter = $600 million per quarter gross profit first half 2018
10k/wk * 40,000 ASP * 20% margin * 12wk/quarter = $960 million per quarter gross profit second half 2019
CapEx for 3 line is wrapping up (5k version), making room for Y capEx to start in 2019.

5k/wk * 50,000 ASP * 20% margin * 12wk/quarter = $600 million per quarter gross profit second half 2018
5k/wk * 40,000 ASP * 25% margin * 12wk/quarter = $600 million per quarter gross profit first half 2018
10k/wk * 40,000 ASP * 20% margin * 12wk/quarter = $960 million per quarter gross profit second half 2019
CapEx for 3 line is wrapping up (5k version), making room for Y capEx to start in 2019.

This is a really important point and worth highlighting.

The prospect of several billion in gross profit in 2019 from the car business with dramatically shrinking OpEx as a percentage of revenue and increasing margins in the energy business is a very potent combination. It is not difficult to see how a combination of 100+% revenue growth Y/Y, while holding OpEx to a fraction of that and dramatically increasing gross margins, could result in sustained profitability and significant cash generation.

And as much as I hate to see Model Y and Semi production delayed a bit, holding off significant investments in production of major new products makes the path toward profitability and positive cash generation relatively straightforward for the next 6-12 months. Model 3s being produced at volume and generating cash and profits should improve confidence that Tesla can deliver on the Model Y and Semi, which are both likely to be incredible products.

The next 6-12 months look as promising for Tesla the company as any time in its history. Whether the stock follows right away is anyone's guess but for long-term shareholders the future has never looked brighter IMO.

I only hope you are correct. As I hope i made clear I am both long the stock and a very happy Tesla S owner AND go to bed every night dreaming of watching the TSLA shorts burn (figuratively speaking). We are running real close to the margins is all...

Reactions: kbM3
This is a really important point and worth highlighting.

The prospect of several billion in gross profit in 2019 from the car business with dramatically shrinking OpEx as a percentage of revenue and increasing margins in the energy business is a very potent combination. It is not difficult to see how a combination of 100+% revenue growth Y/Y, while holding OpEx to a fraction of that and dramatically increasing gross margins, could result in sustained profitability and significant cash generation.

And as much as I hate to see Model Y and Semi production delayed a bit, holding off significant investments in production of major new products makes the path toward profitability and positive cash generation relatively straightforward for the next 6-12 months. Model 3s being produced at volume and generating cash and profits should improve confidence that Tesla can deliver on the Model Y and Semi, which are both likely to be incredible products.

The next 6-12 months look as promising for Tesla the company as any time in its history. Whether the stock follows right away is anyone's guess but for long-term shareholders the future has never looked brighter IMO.
That is what need to be said in the next CC

I only hope you are correct. As I hope i made clear I am both long the stock and a very happy Tesla S owner AND go to bed every night dreaming of watching the TSLA shorts burn (figuratively speaking). We are running real close to the margins is all...

I hope I'm wrong, those are my pessimistic volume growth, ASP, and margin numbers! (I totally forgot P/D):)

Reactions: chetmmd
I get what you are saying....however aren't you in the least bit concerned about the constant misses? I am in no way dogging Tesla or anything of the kind, but its about time for some of the predictions to come true without them dangling new predictions/objectives.

Maybe its just me.

This is always a conflict I think at companies. Do you make commitments you know you can meet with almost 100% certanty, knowing that you will get hammered immediately for them being so poor? (but praised when you beat them) Or do you make a commiment that you know everything will have to go 100% correct to meet, knowing that should you miss it, you will get hammered? Knowing what little I do about Elon, he is an optimistic guy (thank goodness). So I think he will always take the second option. Believing that, I am not shocked when they slip dates.