TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Q2 2018 earnings thread

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by jammybritton27, Aug 1, 2018.

1. jammybritton27

Revenue grew 43% to $4 billion
    Adjusted net loss of $520.2 million or $3.06 per share
    Operating cash flow remained in the negative territory at $129.6 billion
    Total vehicle production rose 55% sequentially to 53,339 units in Q2, while shipments jumped 80% to 40,740 units
    Expects to produce 50,000 to 55,000 Model 3 vehicles in Q3, by producing 6,000 Model 3 vehicles per week by late August, and also to increase production over the next few quarters beyond 6,000 per week.

For visualization/Infographic - Tesla Q2 2018 earnings | AlphaStreet

2. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Should be an interesting call - they've got head of AI, Karpathy on tap as well as other interesting executives.

• Like x 1
  3. jkirkwood001

jkirkwood001 Member

#3 jkirkwood001, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    On the earnings call now.

I find it so hilarious, in a mostly positive way, that Elon can't help but toss in gee-whiz tidbits during his earnings review like "oh, BTW, did you know you can drag the icon down in map view and the car will automatically start driving to your home or work depending where you are? Pretty cool."

• Funny x 2
  4. jkirkwood001

jkirkwood001 Member

#4 jkirkwood001, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    "Plop in the new computer [chip], all the same connectors, and you gain an order of magnitude in computing power. It's super kick-ass."

Oh Elon, not your father's CEO... :rolleyes:

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  5. jkirkwood001

jkirkwood001 Member

Way to go, Elon, for apologizing to both people he was rude to on the last earnings call. No coincidence they were given two of the first questions on this call. There was a lot of concern in the media about Elon's increasingly erratic, stress-induced behaviour. He's still being Elon, but he's not as needlessly combative on this call (so far!).

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  6. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

That guy who spoke later who felt it necessary to comment on “all the love” was a real jerk IMO.

• Like x 1
  7. jkirkwood001

jkirkwood001 Member

Includes newly posted production figure of 53,339:

upload_2018-8-1_18-19-14.png

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  8. jkirkwood001

jkirkwood001 Member

I think he was honestly surprised. Expected more combative behaviour from Elon.

Weird questions though, I agree.

9. dbullard

dbullard Member

110+ hour work weeks will do that to you.

• Like x 2
  10. Tam

Tam Active Member

Elon doesn't think about a weaponized autonomous car but it's not hard to think of an application:

Timothy McVeigh could stay home and enter Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in downtown Oklahoma City as a bombing destination.

The only problem with that is a Tesla car is more expensive than an ICE is so terrorists might need money from very rich countries such as Saudi Arabia.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. jkirkwood001

jkirkwood001 Member

The after-hours market is liking the results - up 9%. We'll see for sure tomorrow.

upload_2018-8-1_18-51-41.png

12. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Since when have these guys not rented things. No need to have money and own anything.

• Informative x 1
  13. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

That hasn't seemed to be a problem to date so there's that... :)

To be clear before I get jumped, terrorism is awful and yes I did suggest that Saudi Arabia funds terrorism currently because well... They do...

Jeff

• Like x 1
  14. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

Darnit, the call was during my dinner, and although it's over now, they don't have the archived version up yet. Also no transcripts yet. I guess I have to listen to it tomorrow.

15. neroden

Oh, dear god, no. Did they ask dumb questions again?

Well, I hope it helps with PR, since it's not going to help us get information out of the earnings call. :-(

16. neroden

After-hours traders usually like the news, even when it precedes a big drop the next day. I think the professional disinformation spreaders and short sellers work 9-5.

17. neroden

....and here we are, the archived version of the call just went up.... thoughts to follow.

18. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

teslanomics guy has a youtube version that should work for you. can speed it up too.

19. beachbum77

beachbum77 Banned

I just wish Musk would sharpen his language skills and stop interrupting and talking over his managers trying to answer questions. It is really annoying when you are trying to hear their answers. You gotta know they would love to throw something at him when he does it. He does it every conference call.

• Like x 6
  20. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

Go back and watch Steve Jobs' first intro of iPhone. He was terrible at presenting; got better with time. I'd rather Elon be great at other things than these conference calls. (I soothe myself with the Jobs iPhone rollout each time Elon fumbles his way through another product launch at Fremont.)

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1