Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Q3 2017 Vehicle Deliveries and Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lunitiks

Cool James & Black Teacher
Nov 19, 2016
Prawn Island, VC
Tesla Q3 2017 Vehicle Deliveries and Production (NASDAQ:TSLA)

Q3 production totaled 25,336 vehicles, with 260 of them being Model 3. Model 3 production was less than anticipated due to production bottlenecks. Although the vast majority of manufacturing subsystems at both our California car plant and our Nevada Gigafactory are able to operate at high rate, a handful have taken longer to activate than expected.

It is important to emphasize that there are no fundamental issues with the Model 3 production or supply chain. We understand what needs to be fixed and we are confident of addressing the manufacturing bottleneck issues in the near-term.

He missed the 1,500 number for September by just a hair!

September.jpg

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/881755501905588226

If you see the glass half full, you can assume the are from a few weeks to a month behind schedule and are trying to resolve any issues.
I could see that if you said he missed the August delivery goal of 100, and only produced 75 cars.

But when he went from 75 cars in August to 115 cars in September, his promise of exponential growth from 100 to 1,500 seems like another one of Elon's over promises and under deliveries; and not a potential 1 month delay.

But I would love to be wrong. I'd much rather get my 3 sooner than later.

Reactions: mmd
At this point I don't think it's fair to assume the delay is greater than a month. Elon is always optimistic when he shares time tables. I would have put money on there being a delay given history. I believe, If their Q3 report is to be taken at face value, the S curve is just starting later than anticipated. But that doesn't preclude the exponential ramp actually happening in Q4. Have a little faith. "Production Hell" isn't easy.

I could see that if you said he missed the August delivery goal of 100, and only produced 75 cars.

But when he went from 75 cars in August to 115 cars in September, his promise of exponential growth from 100 to 1,500 seems like another one of Elon's over promises and under deliveries; and not a potential 1 month delay.

But I would love to be wrong. I'd much rather get my 3 sooner than later.

I don't see why you would assume that to be true. They thought they'd start ramping up in September and missed it, but to assume that means they can't ramp rather than just being late to ramp doesn't make sense. There were indications that production was increasing right at the end of September, so we'll see.

Looks like Tesla delivered more than 25,000 non-Model 3 cars this recent quarter. At this rate, it is only a matter of two quarters before hitting the 200K ceiling assuming they produce just a few thousand Model 3 cars in the next 6 months. In other words, April-June seems to be the quarter when the 200K will be reached.

Assuming the above, Model 3 deliveries between now and September 2018 seems to have the best chance to maximise $7.5K tax fed credit. Anyone see otherwise?

Last edited:
So much for that S curve
When are we going to learn to stop listening to Elon Musk...

Actually let's have a look at Tesla's webpage. It has an S-curve diagram right there. I broke it down real quick in Paint and the numbers don't seem that bad:
S-curve.jpg

The page also states that Customer deliveries don't begin until "late October"...

Thoughts?

EDIT: Ok, I just realized the diagram says produced per week.

Hit me with those
1wwti3.gif

Last edited: