Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Q3 2017 Vehicle Deliveries and Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone please panic and bail on your reservations. I think that's the best move now. I'll take the hit and stay in line for the greater good. ;)

But seriously - each person should evaluate this in their best interests. I'm in a position in which I can wait for them to roll out properly and am confident that the tax breaks/rebates will still be in place when my turn comes. I expected to receive the car next summer (even though Tesla estimated Jan - Mar delivery). I'm truly sorry for those of you that are disappointed and hope you can still hang in there.

So what other car do I buy? Tired of waiting for this car and never getting any info top secret ....

Lots of cars used to turn my head. Not any longer. They all have one thing in common: ICE. I will never buy another ICE vehicle. If you have waited this long, continue to wait until it is delivered; it WILL be worth it. (Have you test driven a MS ?

It sounds to me like they are still hand building because they can't throw the switch on the line until straggler suppliers are solved. Isn't it likely once that is the case there would be a rapid bump. At first they'd still move the line slowly but the slope of the curve is what we are waiting to start.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Disappointing, but also you gotta know this was/is going to happen. We'll see how things go through Oct/Nov (I know we don't get concrete #s, just thing about if things are improving, we should see a lot more hitting the road). I fully expecting that my Jan-Mar was going to shade closer to March, and if it ends up being June, that would be the latest I could potentially wait.

This is horrendous! You should all cancel your reservations immediately!
Take it eeeasy, this is all just a part of Tesla's "anti-sell" strategy

nacho-libre.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
But seriously - each person should evaluate this in their best interests. I'm in a position in which I can wait for them to roll out properly and am confident that the tax breaks/rebates will still be in place when my turn comes. I expected to receive the car next summer (even though Tesla estimated Jan - Mar delivery). I'm truly sorry for those of you that are disappointed and hope you can still hang in there.
I waited in line in the freezing cold early on 3/31/16 to give Elon an interest-free $1k... and feel no closer to a Model 3 today than I did then. Hopefully it arrives somewhere around 3/31/2018, but who knows at this point

• Love
Lots of cars used to turn my head. Not any longer. They all have one thing in common: ICE. I will never buy another ICE vehicle. If you have waited this long, continue to wait until it is delivered; it WILL be worth it. (Have you test driven a MS ?
I'm in this boat as an individual, but my wife could care less about her car being an EV so every delay brings us a step closer to re-upping with the ICE crowd. If it has a decent amount of air bags and heated front seats, she's good to go.

• Love
I'm in this boat as an individual, but my wife could care less about her car being an EV so every delay brings us a step closer to re-upping with the ICE crowd. If it has a decent amount of air bags and heated front seats, she's good to go.

My wife was the same way; really didn't care. Until I brought the car home for an overnight test drive. Now I cannot get her out of it! After 15 months and 56000 miles we are hooked. No more oil changes, exhaust replacement, vibrations, and many other things. Some one will have to build a better Tesla (and a better charging network) for us to switch!

I waited in line in the freezing cold early on 3/31/16 to give Elon an interest-free $1k... and feel no closer to a Model 3 today than I did then. Hopefully it arrives somewhere around 3/31/2018, but who knows at this point

Really sorry to hear about that and I understand your frustration. Hopefully things an upward swing and you get your desired configuration in a timely manner. Would you consider any other EVs? A CPO S or X? A Bolt? Several folks have it here at my work and love the car despite not having access to a SC network as it is performing better than spec for them. The new Leaf? I have a 2012 Leaf and had to get a new battery just after the 60,000 miles. Nissan let me get it for $2500 but overall Nissan dealer service has been poor as they know very little about the vehicles. I have to help solve problems on the car! I have reserved the new Leaf as no money was required but am not likely to buy.

Really sorry to hear about that and I understand your frustration. Hopefully things an upward swing and you get your desired configuration in a timely manner. Would you consider any other EVs? A CPO S or X? A Bolt? Several folks have it here at my work and love the car despite not having access to a SC network as it is performing better than spec for them. The new Leaf? I have a 2012 Leaf and had to get a new battery just after the 60,000 miles. Nissan let me get it for $2500 but overall Nissan dealer service has been poor as they know very little about the vehicles. I have to help solve problems on the car! I have reserved the new Leaf as no money was required but am not likely to buy.

One other option to consider would be to assume the lease from a Telsa leaser. This would also jump you forward in line. I'm finding leases of twelve months and under that could be assumed in Southern California. I'm tempted but not sure as I am really not in that much of a hurry to get the Model 3.

• Informative

I can't speak for the guy you're replying to, but from my perspective the only EVs I'd ever allow myself to own are the 3 or the S, and the S is a crappy value IMO (it's a good car but not good enough to justify the cost compared to the 3… it's also too damned big).

If I'm giving up and I'm not getting the 3 (I fully intend to get the 3, but enough delays will make me have to concede), I'm getting an ICE (almost certainly a 2018 Audi A4) and will reassess in 3-4 years. By then, other manufacturers will be making EVs worth owning, and I potentially wouldn't end up a Tesla customer all.

Last edited:
Well, my early 2019 delivery estimate just blew out to "Is the trunk big enough for a zimmer frame". On the other hand, they should have time to debug the UI and implement FSD by then.. so its a win right? :)

Nah, realistically the only people who will be affected by this unless someone bombs the factory are people who're expecting their car in the next 6 months. By the time they go international the production rate will be pretty fast.

At least NZ still has better overall car choices than the US, and much more lax laws on grey market imports.

I had to stop reading all the "positive" remarks, so I don't know if anybody said the same thing I am going to say. Tesla/Musk said that the PRODUCTION rate for September would be 1,500+, Tesla/Musk did NOT say DELIVERY would be 1,500+.

Now maybe even the production totals were not up to projections, but really, does that mean the world is ending. Chill the heck out.