Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Quality Reassurance Required?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3P had a minor scuff on the front bumper, it is booked into the SC this week. Also have a minor rattle in the driver's door. Other than that, faultless.

I agree with several posters above, we are early adopters and I really want Tesla to succeed, but the brand will die if they continue to support the customers in this way when the really troublesome customers arrive!

The product is exceptional imo, if they get the rest right quickly they could dominate

I've got 4 paint issues (actual paint issues, not scratches) in total. 1 on the boot, pinholes in the paint that they've tried to polish out and now the paint looks tarnished, and the pinholes are still there. I've got 2 issues on the drivers door, one was a blob of paint which they took off and touched up with a touch-up pen, so it now looks like a stone chip, and the other is a blemish in the paint that they not done anything with. There is also raised paint on the bumper where it meets the frunk, they've not looked at that either.

When I was there last I was told that "that was the best they could do" and anything else would be off to a body shop and you'll not see the car for 8 weeks. I didn't turn this down, as it wasn't actually offered since a manager had to make that call, so those discussions will continue tomorrow but it felt like scare tactics to put me off pursuing things further.
Hi TopGeared,

Going in for a re-spray of boot tomorrow, suggested it would take about a week. I did have wait nearly six weeks for the service slot. I will let you know how long it takes might give you a idea.

Reactions: TopGeared
I have to say I’m not impressed.

On pick up I identified a few problems, a badly repaired paint chip on the front bumper and condensation in the rear of side light cluster.

I was booked in for an SC appointment at Brooklands 4 weeks after. About 10 days before this appointment was due I received a message to say that the parts would not be available in time. My SC appointment was then put back another 7 weeks.

I was asked if I would need alternative transport, as the repair will take more than a day. I just hope they have something lined up as my December 18 appointment is worryingly close to Christmas. I may postpone it until afterwards.

Yes before I bought the car I was aware of teslas less than stellar customer service reputation and actually the Communication has been quite good, I just wish the prolonged delay was avoidable.

What people need to remember is Tesla is new to the mass production market and, like it or not, quality assurance is something which comes with experience and not immediately. As long as they are learning and putting corrective measures in place, then things will continue to improve. In the grand scheme of things we are early adopters.

I struggle to agree with this statement, whilst I understand that it is a new car.

They have built a few hundred thousand now, so should be ironing out some of these problems. I think there is an element of chasing numbers for the stock market / investors. That is putting them under a lot of pressure to deliver and to meet this it ship it and worry about fixing it later.

However for the long-term success, if they are going to cross the chasm and get large numbers of the early majority owners they will need to cut out these problems as the majority will be a lot less tolerant to these types of problems. I have to say if my wife is anything to go by these problems have to be eradicated. If it was up to my wife we would have gotten ride of the car already. It’s a bit like any other pice of technology that we buy, if it does not work there is no fiddling with it as far as she is concerned its faulty and should be returned.

I also had a good experience of internet customer service today, after ordering a present and getting it delivered. I then emailed the company with a query about the operation of the device. Within 30 mins (outside working hours) I had a phone call to talk me through the problem.

Reactions: MrBadger
I've got 4 paint issues (actual paint issues, not scratches) in total. 1 on the boot, pinholes in the paint that they've tried to polish out and now the paint looks tarnished, and the pinholes are still there. I've got 2 issues on the drivers door, one was a blob of paint which they took off and touched up with a touch-up pen, so it now looks like a stone chip, and the other is a blemish in the paint that they not done anything with. There is also raised paint on the bumper where it meets the frunk, they've not looked at that either.

When I was there last I was told that "that was the best they could do" and anything else would be off to a body shop and you'll not see the car for 8 weeks. I didn't turn this down, as it wasn't actually offered since a manager had to make that call, so those discussions will continue tomorrow but it felt like scare tactics to put me off pursuing things further.

HI TopGeared,

Just a quick update for your information, it took Tesla 5 working days to respray the boot. A couple of days to fix mu other problems. I was so excited picking it up I missed a really obvious mistake, they did not put Tesla badge back on the boot.

I would therefore suggest that when you get paint done if they touch any trim double check it carefully.

• Informative
Reactions: TopGeared
HI TopGeared,

Just a quick update for your information, it took Tesla 5 working days to respray the boot. A couple of days to fix mu other problems. I was so excited picking it up I missed a really obvious mistake, they did not put Tesla badge back on the boot.

I would therefore suggest that when you get paint done if they touch any trim double check it carefully.

Thanks for that information. They've had my car since Nov 4th, although I don't think it went away to the body shop until the 8th. I should be getting a door & boot resprayed. Do you know where they sent your car? I went to the Stockport SC and they said they sent it to the "Midlands" for the paint.

What was the quality of the respray like?

Thanks for that information. They've had my car since Nov 4th, although I don't think it went away to the body shop until the 8th. I should be getting a door & boot resprayed. Do you know where they sent your car? I went to the Stockport SC and they said they sent it to the "Midlands" for the paint.

What was the quality of the respray like?

Hi TopGeared,

I believe I tracked mine to S J Curtis in Bristol, which makes sense as it would be local to the service centre I use. I would say that the paint job looks great and much better than the attept to previously fix it. I do have one problem, they forgot to put the Tesla badge back on the boot, which to be honest I did not realise until driving home. I looked at the display driving up the motorway and thought the cars got a badge I don't remember seeing it. I then email them and I am now waiting for a mobile service to fix what I hope will be the last problem.

I need it to rain to see if they have fixed leak, but I have now managed to test the BP Chargemaster socket I have had installed which seems to work fine.

Good luck, with the repair.

I must have been really lucky, or perhaps the Raven MX is treated a bit more carefully. I picked my new MX up a month ago and so far I haven’t found a single thing to complain about. It has been washed a couple of times which is when I normally pick up paint defects but nothing. Everything all better than good. I just hope I’m not speaking too early!

Update from me, car went in on Nov 4th for a couple of bits for Tesla to sort (scratched window glass, damaged alloy wheel, damaged interior trim & poorly fitted spoiler), then Tesla sent it on to a body shop for paint repairs on the boot and drivers door that they tried to fix themselves but made worse. I was originally told the car would go off to the body shop in the Midlands on Nov 5th, which was then delayed until Nov 8th.

I'm not sure exactly when the car went to the body shop, as they've disabled the tracking, but I've eventually managed to get hold of someone from the Stockport SC to get me an update today (Nov 19th). The "update" is "another two weeks approximately". Continuing the theme of not very confidence inspiring.

To say I'm unhappy is an understatement.

As a matter of interest were is your paint issue. mine is on the boot there are a few spots that just did not have any paint. Service centre tried to fix it, but this was very poor so they have now suggest a full respray of boot. This is due to be done this week which means I will be losing car for a week. I just hope that they manage to fix everything.
Did you notice this when picking up the car or only afterwards?

Update from me, car went in on Nov 4th for a couple of bits for Tesla to sort (scratched window glass, damaged alloy wheel, damaged interior trim & poorly fitted spoiler), then Tesla sent it on to a body shop for paint repairs on the boot and drivers door that they tried to fix themselves but made worse. I was originally told the car would go off to the body shop in the Midlands on Nov 5th, which was then delayed until Nov 8th.

I'm not sure exactly when the car went to the body shop, as they've disabled the tracking, but I've eventually managed to get hold of someone from the Stockport SC to get me an update today (Nov 19th). The "update" is "another two weeks approximately". Continuing the theme of not very confidence inspiring.

Does Tesla provide you with a loan car in the meantime?

Still no sign of the car back from Tesla.

Their communication is terrible, they have no idea what is going on & they are seemingly at the whims of the body shop they have chosen.

The last "update" was that the body shop would be finished with the car on the 9th Dec, which has now come and gone. In the meantime the software on the car has been updated for some reason, which looks to have re-enabled my remote access. So I can see the GPS location. It's now the 11th and the car is still in the body shop in Cannock (from Stockport) & has been driven 3 miles in the last day for some reason. This better be a perfect paint job considering it's just a door and boot lid.

To top it off, Tesla seem to be unable to confirm what items remain outstanding from before the car went to paint.

At this point the car has been in Tesla's possession for over 50% of the time I've owned it and I still don't see the light at the end of the tunnel in terms of getting my car back, issue free.:(

Were most of those faults there from new, and you did not notice them?

All faults we're from new, and reported to Tesla via a service request in the app within the first week of ownership (on first day it wasn't pouring down with rain).

Collected car Sept 27th, first appointment Oct 18th during which they made the paint issues worse and did nothing with the other faults then asked me to book another appointment, second and still ongoing appointment was Nov 4th.

Still no sign of the car back from Tesla.

Their communication is terrible, they have no idea what is going on & they are seemingly at the whims of the body shop they have chosen.

The last "update" was that the body shop would be finished with the car on the 9th Dec, which has now come and gone. In the meantime the software on the car has been updated for some reason, which looks to have re-enabled my remote access. So I can see the GPS location. It's now the 11th and the car is still in the body shop in Cannock (from Stockport) & has been driven 3 miles in the last day for some reason. This better be a perfect paint job considering it's just a door and boot lid.

To top it off, Tesla seem to be unable to confirm what items remain outstanding from before the car went to paint.

At this point the car has been in Tesla's possession for over 50% of the time I've owned it and I still don't see the light at the end of the tunnel in terms of getting my car back, issue free.:(

@TopGeared, I can only sympathise, may fault are also not been resolved my boot still leaking despite last service claiming to have fixed. I had a mobile serviced booked for yesterday to get the Tesla badge fixed but no one showed up. I have emailed support@tesla but no response at the moment.

All in all very disappointing, still find it a real shame as I still really enjoy driving the car. I was talking to a Model S owner at the Cribbs Causeway chargers a few weeks back. They were also disappointed with the recent service levels and claimed it had gone down hill since the M3 launch. Hopefully they can get back on top of things but I think its going to take some time.

I just had a conversation with a service rep regarding my issues (front alignment and rear light fogging/water drops).

They referred me to the ranger team which is dealt by [email protected], which is currently staffed by 2 people and have a backlog of 148 appointments to sort out. Apparently they are busy hiring people....

And of course the number of cars they have to deal with is more than double now and growing rapidly. Doesn't help that quality of new cars is not always perfect.

Price of being ahead of the game I suppose.

On the up side, the car functions perfectly, which compared to my old ICE car is a big improvement.

Hi
Did the water leak into the boot get sorted and did you find out what was causing it and what repairs were carried out?
My can had to go I to the bodyshop after some ran into the drivers side rear wheel arch and since then the car boot storage box is filling up with water and I'm taking it back to the bodyshop and hoping it's something simple.

Hi
Did the water leak into the boot get sorted and did you find out what was causing it and what repairs were carried out?
My can had to go I to the bodyshop after some ran into the drivers side rear wheel arch and since then the car boot storage box is filling up with water and I'm taking it back to the bodyshop and hoping it's something simple.
I had the water in Boot issue and the SC replaced the Boot Lid to resolve it, apparently it was a design issue on early cars mine was an August 2019 Model 3 SR+.

Holy thread resurrection Robin! It’s almost four years since I got my Model 3 and boy, have things moved on. The early niggles on my car proved to be just an early glitch and apart from squeaking front suspension ball joints and a stuck motor on one of the wing mirrors (both fixed quickly under warranty) the car has performed without any drama. Given the current deals on new Model 3s, I’ve been tempted to replace my current car, but I can’t really justify all the extra cash. Instead I’ve taken an extended warranty and will run the car for at least another two years.

Reactions: WannabeOwner